Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is my second challenger my first was a 2009 that i ordered in June of 08. After I picked it up I added the dodge touch screen/nav system. While it worked fine, it wasnt stock so the nav directions didnt show under the speedo nor did I have the steering wheel controls.

So last summer while at the dealer I traded my 09 with 17K miles for a new 2010. This being a J package had the steering wheel contols nav/dvd/ etc. However I noticed when my iphone was paired with it any in- coming phone calls came in as UNKNOWN. Knowing something about computers (Since Im a network engineer for 60,000 users) I knew this is a firmware issue. (hardware that talks to the software)

I checked my version and it is 2.043, checking on a google search I found for the 2010 models an update to 2.402. I called the dealership to see if they would do the update. They said No but you can go to navteq.com to get the update. The problem being navteq is NOT the place for firmware. It is the place to get updated maps. Only 199.00 (ya ok, but I would pass for now)

I found a site with the firmware update 2.402. This was for 2010 challenger.

IF YOU MESS THIS UP, GOOD CHANCE YOUR NAV/RADIO WONT WORK, SO PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK.

I download the firmware on my pc, and extracted it to a folder. The folder will be called RER_2.402. Inside the folder will be another folder call Becker (Harmon Becker hardware) and two files called CD_Info.cdi and Config.cdi.

Put in a cd and 'burn those files to the 'root' of the cd and before you finalize your burn, change the label of the cd to RER_2.402 (now i didnt try this with a dvd, but since you have a dvd player im sure it would work)

Start you car and leave it running for this. You dont want the car to auto shutoff, this could 'blow up your install' This is typical on PC"s.

Insert the cd/dvd you created and the cd/dvd will 'autoboot' you will get a prompt that do you want to upgrade from (your version) to 2.402 Your choices are YES or NO. Choose Yes. The first part is that the nav/radio will check the cd/dvd to make sure everything is ok, then you will see a message saying all is good and it will reboot.

After the reboot takes place the update will take place. Files move across the top while there are current update status bar and overall status bar on the lower section of the screen. On the upper status bar you will see software version v3.013 (this is the version of the software processing the 2.402 firmware update, so dont be confused) While watching this is as much fun a watching grass grow. Dont touch anything. Nothing, remember you dont want to interrup the process.

When this has been completed (about 15 minutes) you will get a success message and the software will reboot. After the reboot their will be another small update that processes and another reboot. The cd will boot now asking you to update your firmware from 2.402 to 2.402. Say NO (since you are now at the start of the process), and eject the cd. You are done.

When someone called now, I saw who was calling based upon my iphone address book. YEA!!!! No more UNKNOWN.

This update may be required if you use an iphone 4, check prior to leaving the dealership by 'pairing' your phone with the nav/radio call someone off your address book to start, yes you'll have to train your voice, then have them call you back. Make sure all this works otherwise you can have your dealership do it!

Go slow 'measure twice, cut once'

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yep, did mine a couple of months back.
The first burned disk would not be read by the CD/DVD.
Had to re-burn a 2nd time, and worked great.
Regardless, had to issue the eject process both times, since the media was stuck. SEEKUP-SEEKDOWN + NAV keys.

Fixed my iPhone4 uconnect issue though :)

Working in IT, I am an advocate for staying on top of system/firmware updates.

·
Registered
355 Posts
So this is my second challenger my first was a 2009 that i ordered in June of 08. After I picked it up I added the dodge touch screen/nav system. While it worked fine, it wasnt stock so the nav directions didnt show under the speedo nor did I have the steering wheel controls.

So last summer while at the dealer I traded my 09 with 17K miles for a new 2010. This being a J package had the steering wheel contols nav/dvd/ etc. However I noticed when my iphone was paired with it any in- coming phone calls came in as UNKNOWN. Knowing something about computers (Since Im a network engineer for 60,000 users) I knew this is a firmware issue. (hardware that talks to the software)

I checked my version and it is 2.043, checking on a google search I found for the 2010 models an update to 2.402. I called the dealership to see if they would do the update. They said No but you can go to navteq.com to get the update. The problem being navteq is NOT the place for firmware. It is the place to get updated maps. Only 199.00 (ya ok, but I would pass for now)

IF YOU MESS THIS UP, GOOD CHANCE YOUR NAV/RADIO WONT WORK, SO PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK.

I download the firmware on my pc, and extracted it to a folder. The folder will be called RER_2.402. Inside the folder will be another folder call Becker (Harmon Becker hardware) and two files called CD_Info.cdi and Config.cdi.

Put in a cd and 'burn those files to the 'root' of the cd and before you finalize your burn, change the label of the cd to RER_2.402 (now i didnt try this with a dvd, but since you have a dvd player im sure it would work)

Start you car and leave it running for this. You dont want the car to auto shutoff, this could 'blow up your install' This is typical on PC"s.

Insert the cd/dvd you created and the cd/dvd will 'autoboot' you will get a prompt that do you want to upgrade from (your version) to 2.402 Your choices are YES or NO. Choose Yes. The first part is that the nav/radio will check the cd/dvd to make sure everything is ok, then you will see a message saying all is good and it will reboot.

After the reboot takes place the update will take place. Files move across the top while there are current update status bar and overall status bar on the lower section of the screen. On the upper status bar you will see software version v3.013 (this is the version of the software processing the 2.402 firmware update, so dont be confused) While watching this is as much fun a watching grass grow. Dont touch anything. Nothing, remember you dont want to interrup the process.

When this has been completed (about 15 minutes) you will get a success message and the software will reboot. After the reboot their will be another small update that processes and another reboot. The cd will boot now asking you to update your firmware from 2.402 to 2.402. Say NO (since you are now at the start of the process), and eject the cd. You are done.

When someone called now, I saw who was calling based upon my iphone address book. YEA!!!! No more UNKNOWN.

This update may be required if you use an iphone 4, check prior to leaving the dealership by 'pairing' your phone with the nav/radio call someone off your address book to start, yes you'll have to train your voice, then have them call you back. Make sure all this works otherwise you can have your dealership do it!

Thank a bunch for the info. Being a fellow Network Engineer and a iPhone 4 owner, this process you typed is now printed and filed. MY 2011 has the RHR (also Harmon Kardon and the new upgrade to the RER), but my guess is that there will be firmware updates sooner or later. Thanks again.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Additional RER Software Upgrade Info

Added to all of this.....If you go to the JK Jeep site JK-Forum.com - The Ultimate Jeep JK Wrangler Bulletin Board everything is there to upgrade the 2008-2010 RER radios both Gracenotes and the latest 2.402 operating flash. They also have a great explanation on how to download and burn all the files using Mac or PC. The "My Gig Software Update" forum is the one you want to get on when you are in JK and between pg 1 and pg 8 you will get all the info you need to update your radio.
I would love to thank those guys but I still have not been cleared into that forum by the site administrator. (read only)
I followed there download-burn-upload procedure and it was flawless for my 2010 srt. Remember do not shut your car off when doing these upgrades!!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Thanks guys,I just did the update thanks to this thread..the whole process from first reading this to finishing was about 25 minutes...:thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts