Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SRT8 Black/Black 6-speed Procharger
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I’ve got a 2013 SRT8 6speed with 35k mi. Procharger has been in it for at least 10k mi. It runs out great.
I see lots of people worried about ruining pistons on 6psi boost. My question...has anybody here actually hurt a 392 on 6psi boost in street driving?? If so, are there things you can do to help the motor live other than tearing it down and changing pistons? Thank you! ~ Mark

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I know one guy who installed a SNOW water/meth injection kit to help keep things cooler in there. He’s had “0” issues after a couple of years now. Spot on tune and eliminating detonation is key though. You could also just gap the rings a fuzz more but will obviously require some tear-down. Might as well do drop-in pistons at that point.

I’m getting ready to install a F-1x ProCharger on my 426. Guess I'll have to get used to that ProCharger whistle :)

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I know one guy who installed a SNOW water/meth injection kit to help keep things cooler in there. He’s had “0” issues a couple of years later. Spot on tune and eliminating detonation is key though. You could also just gap the rings a fuzz more but will obviously require some tear-down. Might as well do drop-in pistons at that point.

I’m getting ready to install a F-1x ProCharger on my 426. Guess I'll have to get used to that ProCharger whistle :)
Interesting so prefer a centrifugal vs. a root? Can you give me your opinion as to why that route. FYI, I'm also looking at the ProCharger next year after some engine work (forged piston, etc.). Want to keep it as a daily driver.

thanks

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Interesting so prefer a centrifugal vs. a root? Can you give me your opinion as to why that route. FYI, I'm also looking at the ProCharger next year after some engine work (forged piston, etc.). Want to keep it as a daily driver.

thanks
My SRT has the HP70 trans. Thinking the ProCharger is more linear in power than a Whipple, or something similar, so hopefully will be less stress on the trans. without so much low end punch. My 426 already has plenty of low end torque but falls on it’s face toward the end of a quarter mile run. I think the ProCharger should be good fit for my setup to fill the gap.

Also runs cooler and is less weight with better street manners IMO.

ProCharger has its own unique sound so would suggest hearing some sound bites on YouTube to make sure you like it.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I've been looking at clips for over a year now and honestly based on info for other folks and especially easier on the drive train that's what I was leaning towards. I also like the linear power more and won't change my everyday driving unless I WOT. Lastly I like that you just basically bolt it on the side and if I sell the car it's easier to take off. Thanks for the info. Please post some pics once you have your's done.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Friend of mine just installed the hellion twins kit , I believe he made it about three days or so before it went boom. Tuned by Johan. Possibly had some bad gas

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I have two friends here in Raleigh that installed the ProCharger P-1SC-1 complete system both on 2015 6.4 a few years ago and they have put over 30k miles without any issues on daily driver...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have two friends here in Raleigh that installed the ProCharger P-1SC-1 complete system both on 2015 6.4 a few years ago and they have put over 30k miles without any issues on daily driver...
That is awesome to hear! Thank you this is what I was looking for.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Friend of mine just installed the hellion twins kit , I believe he made it about three days or so before it went boom. Tuned by Johan. Possibly had some bad gas
What broke on the engine??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know one guy who installed a SNOW water/meth injection kit to help keep things cooler in there. He’s had “0” issues after a couple of years now. Spot on tune and eliminating detonation is key though. You could also just gap the rings a fuzz more but will obviously require some tear-down. Might as well do drop-in pistons at that point.

I LOVE the whistle!!

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,811 Posts
The biggest problem is when people get too greedy as far as power goes. Please don't get me wrong, I like having power, but not at the sacrifice of reliability. I also understand that when you bolt on anything that adds 150+ horsepower, reliability goes down, but it goes down even quicker when you try to squeeze every last drop of power out. Living on the ragged edge is only fun until something gives.......and something Always gives!

I had a Vortech T-Trim on my old Vette with the helical cut gears (got rid of the rattling marble sound) and just heard a slight whine, which was kind of a relaxing sound. It reminded me of someone whistling a song to me, while being accompanied by the scream of the back tires! :D I had meth on her too, which I used for keeping the IAT's in check and it worked like it was designed.

The T-Trim is the Vortech equivalent to the Procharger D1SC.

I'd guess that it was a mail order tune and maybe it wasn't finished yet as far as revisions go. Tuning an FI car remotely can be a long process because of all of the transitions that the engine makes. It goes in and out of open and closed loop, it goes from non boost to boost, timing tables and stuff and it goes on and on (speaking from GM stuff because I never tuned a Dodge, but the basics should be the same but the way that the ANN does things changes thing quite a bit).

Personally, I'd never tune a turbo remotely, but that's just me but I have access to some Really good tuners nearby.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
The biggest problem is when people get too greedy as far as power goes. Please don't get me wrong, I like having power, but not at the sacrifice of reliability. I also understand that when you bolt on anything that adds 150+ horsepower, reliability goes down, but it goes down even quicker when you try to squeeze every last drop of power out. Living on the ragged edge is only fun until something gives.......and something Always gives!

I had a Vortech T-Trim on my old Vette with the helical cut gears (got rid of the rattling marble sound) and just heard a slight whine, which was kind of a relaxing sound. It reminded me of someone whistling a song to me, while being accompanied by the scream of the back tires! :D I had meth on her too, which I used for keeping the IAT's in check and it worked like it was designed.

I'd guess that it was a mail order tune and maybe it wasn't finished yet as far as revisions go. Tuning an FI car remotely can be a long process because of all of the transitions that the engine makes. It goes in and out of open and closed loop, it goes from non boost to boost, timing tables and stuff and it goes on and on (speaking from GM stuff because I never tuned a Dodge, but the basics should be the same but the way that the ANN does things changes thing quite a bit).

Personally, I'd never tune a turbo remotely, but that's just me but I have access to some Really good tuners nearby.
Yep, canned tune only so you can drive it to your local MOPAR tune pro with a chassis dyno.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Yep, canned tune only so you can drive it to your local MOPAR tune pro with a chassis dyno.
I’m all backwards, you’re the one that introduced me to the Denver page on Facebook? If so, I want to see this 426!

Reactions: MiHiHemi

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I’m all backwards, you’re the one that introduced me to the Denver page on Facebook? If so, I want to see this 426!
CDCC?

I’d like to do a club clash or two at Bandimere once the ProCharger goes in. Just need to get Glenn at RPM to jump on it soon. You going to the "club vacation” in Glenwood a couple of weeks from now by chance?

·
Registered
937 Posts
CDCC?

I’d like to do a club clash or two at Bandimere once the ProCharger goes in. Just need to get Glenn at RPM to jump on it soon. You going to the "club vacation” in Glenwood a couple of weeks from now by chance?
Yeah, CDCC!

Nice, I have never been to Bandimere for any event but would love to hopefully here soon. I’m not, I just found out about it like 2 days ago though so that’s understandable lol.

Reactions: MiHiHemi

·
Registered
571 Posts

Was definitely a mail order , which is no doubt a pain in the ass to dial in correctly. Also why I waited for this pandemic to end to get on the dyno with AJ(which should by happening today) . Friend said he was also dealing with some bad gas, but either way , greedy for power is the fault. I believe he said he was at 7psi , which for a turbo set up would be making some big power for an SBE 6.4.

Just waiting on a call to pick up the car is like torture with this beautiful weather!!!!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,811 Posts
Was definitely a mail order , which is no doubt a pain in the ass to dial in correctly. Also why I waited for this pandemic to end to get on the dyno with AJ(which should by happening today) . Friend said he was also dealing with some bad gas, but either way , greedy for power is the fault. I believe he said he was at 7psi , which for a turbo set up would be making some big power for an SBE 6.4.

Just waiting on a call to pick up the car is like torture with this beautiful weather!!!!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

I can only imagine what you're going through! Hang in there because it'll be worth it!

Please let us know how things turn out.

By the way, what does SBE stand for?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts