Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a few questions hopefully someone can chime in on. I am new to F/I, and have decent knowledge of basic engine mechanics. Granted, I am learning. A LOT.

I was originally looking at more twin screw styles, however, due to the ram air hood, I am worried about clearance. I saw an ad for a procharger, used, but low miles. The price is well placed and can pick it up for less than half of what it costs new.

Details are as follows:

Lightly Used 3rd Gen 5.7L/6.1L Dodge Challenger RT F1-R cog drive kit. Has about 4k miles on it. Comes as pictured. Thanks.

I did some asking, and it had came off their 2013 R/T. My 2014 R/T should match up perfect, however, every place I see shows it only fits the 2008-2010 models. I have some pictures and it shows its a F-1R with a ratio of 5.40. The blower would be on a relatively stock 5.7 with a Comp Cam 274 and LT's.

Here's my main questions:

1) Even though I cant find much on this exact kit, if it came off a 13, it should mate with my 14 without issues... right? I am worried about most kits with the F-1R show the 08-10 models only.

2) with the standard PSI that most prochargers run (7-8 PSI), is running a kit like this on a non forged internal engine going to be a major problem? I understand that the 5.7 is a solid platform, and adding boost to any engine will increase the stress and wear/tear. I'm more worried about getting it installed, properly tuned, and then blowing it up the first autocross event I take it on.

Very newbie questions, I know. I am sorry for it, and I'm sure they've been asked before. Did a quick search for the f-1R and didn't find much.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Tuning will be the most important aspect of the install. Use the very well known tuners out there. Do a search there are plenty. In the end finding a tuner you can work with will pay for itself in less time down and drivability. Especially since you have stock pistons. You won’t be able to turn up the boost past 8 psi and that would be a lot IMO on stock internals. Good luck and have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
82 Posts
I would be curious why the unit only has 4000 miles on it given your comment that it shows to fit only 2008 to 2010. Did the person selling it take it off because it didn't function right on a 14 or is there another reason. Would make me wonder given its only for 2008 to 2010. I'd research it more before I spent the money.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I would be curious why the unit only has 4000 miles on it given your comment that it shows to fit only 2008 to 2010. Did the person selling it take it off because it didn't function right on a 14 or is there another reason. Would make me wonder given its only for 2008 to 2010. I'd research it more before I spent the money.

This is what I've learned from the seller so far, however, given I just don't know enough... I figured I'd come to the forum to get some purpose and direction. Haha

ME:
Hey trisha. Do you still have the procharger?

Seller:
TUES 14:12

ME:
What year challenger was it on? 08-10? 11-14?
Also, why did you take it off?

Seller:
2013. I took it off to sell the car. My dad and I were going to run it together as a bonding experience but then he cheated on my mom and they are getting a divorce and I want nothing to do with it.

ME:
is the kit missing anything you know of? I'm interested, cash in hand.

Seller:
No not that I know of.

ME:
Can you snap me a picture of the plate in the pro charger?

Seller:
Yeah
When I get home in a little bit if that’s ok?

ME:
I’m currently deployed overseas. I’m in no rush. Haha

Seller:
Thank you for your service!
Thank you ��

ME:
Trisha, I’m trying to make sure that the kit will fit my ‘14. You had removed it from your ‘13 and it worked?
The two main categories for these fit either 08-10 and 11-14.

Seller:
Yes of course it worked. Yes I’m pretty positive it would work for a 14

ME:
Awesome. Do you do PayPal?

Seller:
Yes.

ME:
Let me check finances to make sure I can swing it and check with the Mrs.
You firm on that price?

Seller:
Not completely firm. I mean I do want to sell it for as much as I can but the key word would be sell it lol

ME:
Fair enough. Lol Let me see what we can swing and go from there.

ME:
Hey trish. So, I have been looking at making the switch to a blower for a while, but have been leary about the required supporting mods up until this point. I think I have a decent amount, and I think I can free up the cashflow to take this off your hands. One major conern of mine is that every place I can find this kit for sale says its for the 2008-2010 models only, and does not work with the VVT eagle 5.7's (like you and I have).
I know you also had stated you pulled this off your car, so, if it worked on you 2013, it SHOULD work on my 2014. I am REALLY interested in this, however, also don't know what else will be needed to make it mount proper. I know I will need a replacement belt, and I'm sure some specific gaskets that were used prior. Other than that, is this everything I'd need to get this hooked up? I already have a tuner, so I will be neededing to tune it appropriately once I get it installed.
I hate to draw this transaction out, but, you clearly know more about this install than I do! lol

Seller:
Lol I wouldn’t say I know more than you considering. But as far as I know everything will bolt right up. I wouldn’t want you to get it and not fit so I’m answering everything to the best of my ability. Sorry if I’m not enough help. Yes on a belt. Not much on gaskets since it’s not a intake mounted one. Tune yes. Probably cooler spark plugs.

Overall, I just don't know what direction I should be going. There is no belt, so, I need to find a part number. I can't find this kit for sale anywhere, so I don't know if it does or does not fit. I was hoping someone can shed some light on this.

·
Registered
179 Posts
First, no way are you going to be running a F1 R on a stock 5.7. Second that exchange looks like a scam to me. If you really think its a real deal, call HHP or another supporting Hemi shop and ask them what they think about your running a F1 R on a stock 5.7

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First, no way are you going to be running a F1 R on a stock 5.7. Second that exchange looks like a scam to me. If you really think its a real deal, call HHP or another supporting Hemi shop and ask them what they think about your running a F1 R on a stock 5.7

One step ahead of you. I spoke to a tech there, who recommended that I get the pulley numbers and bracket numbers (to be able to ensure the system is for a 11-14 RT). Also, he recommended I don't run that large of a blower, as it will have an issue with slowing down on my engine. He pointed me to a D1SC, and stated that would be more applicable for the mods I have.

I might still pick it up, to punt the blower and just pick up the correct one. I'd use all the other brackets and the intercooler from this kit.

·
Registered
868 Posts
The F1 is a large blower. If the deal is right like you said you can just flip it it. That said honestly since it’s a front mounted blower it shouldn’t matter if it is an 08-10 or 11-14. The brackets for the 5.7 heads should be the same. The biggest problem would be the piping which can be fixed with measuring and buying new stuff. At that point you may be getting into a problem of cost verse benefit issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts