Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how hot does the s/c get after a 10 minute drive? my brackets and all were pretty hot to the touch. anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
It depends on if you are in traffic for 10 minutes or on the highway. Mine got hot as hell in traffic but not that bad on the highway. In the summer I saw 125 degree intake air temps in traffic which is not good. If I had kept the car I would have gotten meth injection just for summertime. If you dont have one by now you NEED a good wideband O2 setup and a scanguage to see the air temps. The supercharger and brackets will get hot, pretty normal.

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It depends on if you are in traffic for 10 minutes or on the highway. Mine got hot as hell in traffic but not that bad on the highway. In the summer I saw 125 degree intake air temps in traffic which is not good. If I had kept the car I would have gotten meth injection just for summertime. If you dont have one by now you NEED a good wideband O2 setup and a scanguage to see the air temps. The supercharger and brackets will get hot, pretty normal.
thanks that's what i figured.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Anything under the hood gets very hot, not just the SC.
You guys are worried about 125 iat in traffic then you would crap it on. Kenne bell setup. My buddy's reads 130+.
My iat goes down to 89 while cruising which is damn impressive considering I live in Hawaii and my buds kb reads 100+, gets hotter when on it and has that fancy long tube CAI. To top it off, mine has made 1.5 hp more both out of box setups, lol!

·
Registered
326 Posts
how hot does the s/c get after a 10 minute drive? my brackets and all were pretty hot to the touch. anyone else have this problem?
the more you get down on it the sooner heat soak in the head unit will set in those blowers have to compress and cool lots of air under boost and the hotter the ambient tempurature the more it has to work . mine gets hotter during these summer months in texas

·
Registered
326 Posts
i dont really understand the concept of how the methanol injection helps that much the heat soak damage to performance that occurs in my opinion is due to the heat soak in the head(blower unit) once that is hot the methanol injection help is negligible at best probably would be better to ice the head unit down or let it cool for about 30 minutes

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
i dont really understand the concept of how the methanol injection helps that much the heat soak damage to performance that occurs in my opinion is due to the heat soak in the head(blower unit) once that is hot the methanol injection help is negligible at best probably would be better to ice the head unit down or let it cool for about 30 minutes
Water/Methanol injection cools the intake charge in the cylinders. When the liquid flashes to a gas the heat is absorbed.

This does two things:

1. Cools the charge temps
2. Increases the effective octane of the fuel used

MOST tuners don't tune for it. It's just used as a "safety" to prevent detonation. However, if you do tune for it (track tune for example) you can gain power by running more timing and a leaner AFR.

I personally don't use it as it's just one more system to fool with and another bottle to keep filled, but it does have benefits.

With my water cooled Magnuson blower my IATs are about 40° over ambient cruising around. When I get on it hard they're about 80° over ambient. My last data log was in 45° weather. When cruising the IATs were in the high 80s. When I stomped it and ran from 2KRPM in 4th to revlimit at 6800 the IAT was about 140°. I'm sure the IATs would continue to rise if I romped it over and over and over. My IAT sensor is relocated so that it reads the temp of the air as it enters CYL1, NOT in the CAI tube.

I can lay hands on my blower no problem after parking.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
I don't think those IAT's are all that high for stop and go traffic....

HemiSam
Yeah, my 125 degree intake air temps in the summer traffic really arent that bad but I was pretty picky. :) They did drop quick once I got moving. If I had my "kill" tune loaded (over 500hp and near 500tq) I didnt really get on it unless the conditions were perfect. I liked my pistons. LOL

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
I have installed 8 of these units and I can say it is perfectly normal.. Nothing to worry about.. :) Drive it and enjoy :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts