Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so I'm starting to look into what I want to do with my eventual procharger set up on my 2016 M6 RT. I know there is a lot that goes into getting a good solid build and want some help. The procharger set up is pretty straight forward, go online, find which on and buy the kit that supplies everything with it. But what I need help with is the other things, the cam, headers, exhaust, pistons, ect. So I want to know what you guys have, the brand, the size, everything you can tell me and why you have what you have. I'm not looking for a drag car or a race only car. I still want it to be drivable as a daily driver and want it to be a pretty strong build but off of stock internals. I plan on altering the engine with porting it and all of that but again, I'm not 100% as to what all goes into it. So any help and tips and info you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys and gals.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Alright, so I'm starting to look into what I want to do with my eventual procharger set up on my 2016 M6 RT. I know there is a lot that goes into getting a good solid build and want some help. The procharger set up is pretty straight forward, go online, find which on and buy the kit that supplies everything with it. But what I need help with is the other things, the cam, headers, exhaust, pistons, ect. So I want to know what you guys have, the brand, the size, everything you can tell me and why you have what you have. I'm not looking for a drag car or a race only car. I still want it to be drivable as a daily driver and want it to be a pretty strong build but off of stock internals. I plan on altering the engine with porting it and all of that but again, I'm not 100% as to what all goes into it. So any help and tips and info you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys and gals.
I just got a Procharger installed in my 2016 392. I was surprised. The only mod I had other than the HC Airbox was the 87mm TB. Oh, and a Diablo Sports Tune. The installer was an official PC dealer, and they actually wanted me to bring in my original TB for reinstall. PC prefers the car to be as stock as possible before they install and tune. Don't know if that sounds right or not, but so far mine is back to stock with the PC installed. Frankly, its gonna be hard to utilize all I've got now. Traction is my biggest challenge. I haven't done a dyno but PC stated that the PC added 50-55% HP to my stock HP.....

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have the Procharger kit on my 15 R/T A8 and Kooks long tube headers with a tune from Petty's Garage. Dynoed the car and went from 372HP to 525HP (470HP to the wheels) and running with 8 lbs of boost.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the Procharger kit on my 15 R/T A8 and Kooks long tube headers with a tune from Petty's Garage. Dynoed the car and went from 372HP to 525HP (470HP to the wheels) and running with 8 lbs of boost.
So you didn't upgrade pistons or alter the engine in any way? I see a lot of people talk about porting an polishing their engines and getting better pistons, but I wasn't sure if that was needed. And I want to long tube but I was under the impression that they aren't street legal, and I'm moving to Cali soon so I know that will already hinder my build. Do you have anything else done besides the headers and procharger? Which procharger kit do you have on you RT?

·
Registered
395 Posts
So you didn't upgrade pistons or alter the engine in any way? I see a lot of people talk about porting an polishing their engines and getting better pistons, but I wasn't sure if that was needed. And I want to long tube but I was under the impression that they aren't street legal, and I'm moving to Cali soon so I know that will already hinder my build. Do you have anything else done besides the headers and procharger? Which procharger kit do you have on you RT?
I do have a cold air intake and Corsa Extreme exhaust. I also switched to 180 degree thermostat. The Procharger kit I got is for stock engines and can run to 8# boost, anything over that and then you're talking about Pistons and forging the engine. (You will need to change to a lower temperature set of spark plugs) The kit does come with larger fuel injectors and a larger fuel pump. The kit I got was for the 5.7L motor they show on the website. As far as long tube headers are concerned I believe that they will cause your car not to pass emissions but I live in Tennessee and we don't have emissions testing here.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do have a cold air intake and Corsa Extreme exhaust. I also switched to 180 degree thermostat. The Procharger kit I got is for stock engines and can run to 8# boost, anything over that and then you're talking about Pistons and forging the engine. (You will need to change to a lower temperature set of spark plugs) The kit does come with larger fuel injectors and a larger fuel pump. The kit I got was for the 5.7L motor they show on the website. As far as long tube headers are concerned I believe that they will cause your car not to pass emissions but I live in Tennessee and we don't have emissions testing here.
You got the one they have in the street section for the 5.7? The P-1SC-1? They have a total of 4 listed for the 5.7 that's why I ask which one you have. And that's what I thought, I've read a lot that they 5.7 can take 6-8lbs on a stock engine before needing to actually do anything to it which in the beginning is perfectly fine for me. I just want to get the RWHP as close to/or at 500HP.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FYI - here is a list showing 5.7L mods along with rear wheel HP/TQ that I pieced together from Arrington's builds.

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=867866&d=1513458565

Oh and don't forget the timeslips on this forum.

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums - Timeslip Database
That time slip one is pretty nice, seeing everything done to all of them. But I feel like there's no way that chart can be right. It says a 2016 R/T with nothing done to it but a 8psi Whipple increased it from about 325RWHP (about factory) to 532RWHP. There's noway just 8psi increased it almost 210HP. Unless they did a lot more that isn't listed on there.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Yes, I have the P-1SC-1 in polished finish

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,853 Posts
That time slip one is pretty nice, seeing everything done to all of them. But I feel like there's no way that chart can be right. It says a 2016 R/T with nothing done to it but a 8psi Whipple increased it from about 325RWHP (about factory) to 532RWHP. There's noway just 8psi increased it almost 210HP. Unless they did a lot more that isn't listed on there.
It should say 2011 (I will fix that shortly) but this is the post with dyno:
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/7956082-post3.html

ARGH, I sorted the data wrong...I need to fix the chart.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,853 Posts
That is an absolutely insane amount of power for just a supercharger headers and cat back though. I'm just hoping for right at the 500 mark in mine.
I am probably at 460ish HP and I don't think the headers will add more than 10ish HP with a conservative tune but I am digging the exhaust tone. I am still contemplating a Cam but to be honest I am pretty happy with the way the car is running....for now anyways.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am probably at 460ish HP and I don't think the headers will add more than 10ish HP with a conservative tune but I am digging the exhaust tone. I am still contemplating a Cam but to be honest I am pretty happy with the way the car is running....for now anyways.
Even 460 would be more than fine for starting off. That's more than an SRT by about 20-30ish HP.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,853 Posts
Even 460 would be more than fine for starting off. That's more than an SRT by about 20-30ish HP.
Yeah but the SRT has better brakes and adjustable suspension. Although my fuel economy is probably a couple of MPG better (not that I really care) than an SRT. Some say SC an RT is a waste and I would tend to agree but I love wrenching. At least with the RT I am replacing crap parts for performance ones. Check out the factory 5.7 exhaust manifolds...yuck!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
If you're moving to CA (why??! -kidding) you may want to go with shorty headers instead. They should pass emissions (SRT manifolds are shortys) and it would be better than nothing. 5.7s really respond well to better manifold options since the factory manifolds are so restrictive.

·
Registered
395 Posts
You got the one they have in the street section for the 5.7? The P-1SC-1? They have a total of 4 listed for the 5.7 that's why I ask which one you have. And that's what I thought, I've read a lot that they 5.7 can take 6-8lbs on a stock engine before needing to actually do anything to it which in the beginning is perfectly fine for me. I just want to get the RWHP as close to/or at 500HP.
I'm at 470 RWHP

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
938 Posts
I am still contemplating a Cam but to be honest I am pretty happy with the way the car is running....for now anyways.
A (properly matched) cam and valvetrain should help move your power curves up to be more like the 6.4 and give you a pretty big bump in power while also allowing a bit smaller pulley and more boost. You may see boost on your gauge go down with the same pulley and a larger cam because the engine is taking more air in. “Boost” is the pressure of the air stacked up that’s NOT getting into the engine.

It would be a good move in my opinion.

A later intake closing point will reduce the DYNAMIC compression ratio.

Not 100% sure what cam would be best because a lot of the specs on the Hemi cams are not out there for public view. The factory 6.4 cam might be a good choice. It will raise your peak power higher in a 5.7 than when installed ina 6.4.

EDIT: I was neglecting to consider the smaller 5.7 heads vs the 6.4. That will pull the rpm down somewhat. Probably real close to the 6.4. I’d like to find a dyno of a 5.7 upgraded to the 6.4 cam before/after overlay.

You will need a really good tuner and dyno time to keep this safe.

I’ve played with a couple of boosted engines... a proper cam with supporting tune is impressive.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you're moving to CA (why??! -kidding) you may want to go with shorty headers instead. They should pass emissions (SRT manifolds are shortys) and it would be better than nothing. 5.7s really respond well to better manifold options since the factory manifolds are so restrictive.
I do as I'm told by my work lol. That's what I've been reading is that the SRT shorties are perfect for the 5.7s if you're going to do something other than stock. Especially since they re pretty cheap compared to other shorties that are out there.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
I do as I'm told by my work lol. That's what I've been reading is that the SRT shorties are perfect for the 5.7s if you're going to do something other than stock. Especially since they re pretty cheap compared to other shorties that are out there.
The hard part is tracking down a set of SRT shorties. I was looking to do this mod on my 2013 R/T a while back and found that it would be cheaper to go with aftermarket shorties with OEM gaskets and bolts (better fit and seal) than buying SRTs. If you can find a used pair from a Scat Pack or SRT owner who is upgrading to long tubes, that's your best bet though. You also don't need a custom tune to avoid a CEL with shorties. You'll get more power with that tune but you don't need one like you would with long tubes.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,853 Posts
A (properly matched) cam and valvetrain should help move your power curves up to be more like the 6.4 and give you a pretty big bump in power while also allowing a bit smaller pulley and more boost. You may see boost on your gauge go down with the same pulley and a larger cam because the engine is taking more air in. “Boost” is the pressure of the air stacked up that’s NOT getting into the engine.

It would be a good move in my opinion.

A later intake closing point will reduce the DYNAMIC compression ratio.

Not 100% sure what cam would be best because a lot of the specs on the Hemi cams are not out there for public view. The factory 6.4 cam might be a good choice. It will raise your peak power higher in a 5.7 than when installed ina 6.4.

EDIT: I was neglecting to consider the smaller 5.7 heads vs the 6.4. That will pull the rpm down somewhat. Probably real close to the 6.4. I’d like to find a dyno of a 5.7 upgraded to the 6.4 cam before/after overlay.

You will need a really good tuner and dyno time to keep this safe.

I’ve played with a couple of boosted engines... a proper cam with supporting tune is impressive.
Yeah if I did the cam, I probably would go with a custom grind or one made for a 5.7 SC application. Again, that is more work than I would like to put in at the moment. So far the stock cam is treating me well.

As for the Dynos, below is what I could find. I don't think the 6.4 will be as beneficial as SC grind...except for maybe cost.

Stock 5.7 (engine dyno) although looking at the curve I don't see the power drop off after 5500 rpm that you typically see on chassis dyno rungs.

Stock 5.7 with LT headers, no cats and 6.4 cam (chassis dyno)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts