Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am going to buy the procharger H.O system for my 2009 hemi R/T challenger. the car only has 3,100 miles. this project is going to cost me around $7,000. do any of you guys have and advice, like the pros & cons of doing this project. the guys at procharger tell me the H.O system is for a un-modified engine. do you guys think this is the blower to go with? thanks!

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
I loved my Procharger!!!!! Only con about it is that you need to drive it like you have a blower on it. Its totally different driving it with the blower. Its not just get in and go anymore. Keep it out of part throttle boost and everything will be fine. GET A BOOST GAUGE AND WIDEBAND AFR GAUGE!!!!!

·
Banned
811 Posts
I loved my Procharger!!!!! Only con about it is that you need to drive it like you have a blower on it. Its totally different driving it with the blower. Its not just get in and go anymore. Keep it out of part throttle boost and everything will be fine. GET A BOOST GAUGE AND WIDEBAND AFR GAUGE!!!!!
There's no bypass valve? No blow off valve? You're always in boost?

·
Super Moderator
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
3100 miles is no problem. I had 23,000 miles when I installed the Vortech. It has no part throttle issues. It has WOT issues,,, Traction. You will have to run 91 oct fuel. I like the water to air cooled FI air charge.
Cost for mine was $5,100.00 Its an easy at home DIY install.
My 5.7 had 338wrhp NA now it has 6lbs boost [email protected] 5400rpm and 488tq
It runs an easy low 12s at 115 mph at whitch should get the car to easy high 11s with slicks, with that mph out back.
This is 100% stock 5.7 Not even headers. PM me if you need anything.
Good luck, FlatTop

·
Premium Member
227 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,295 Posts
Pro chargers are great systems, however 7k for the system is a little high, unless you are factoring in the install cost. We sell that system for less than $5500 it is a very good setup, someone noted the stage two upgrade is well worth it if you plan to up the boost down the road

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
i am going to buy the procharger H.O system for my 2009 hemi R/T challenger. the car only has 3,100 miles. this project is going to cost me around $7,000. do any of you guys have and advice, like the pros & cons of doing this project. the guys at procharger tell me the H.O system is for a un-modified engine. do you guys think this is the blower to go with? thanks!
The Procharger HO kit came on the Magnum SRT8 (stock 6.1) I bought. It is a very good kit. Driveability is great with no part throttle issues. I would heed SRT8U and others who have stated, if you plan on future upgrades (heads, cam, stroker), to go with the stage 2 system so you can increase your boost based on your future mods.

·
Registered
252 Posts
[QUOTE=SRT8Tech;731026]I loved my Procharger!!!!! Only con about it is that you need to drive it like you have a blower on it. Its totally different driving it with the blower. Its not just get in and go anymore. Keep it out of part throttle boost and everything will be fine. GET A BOOST GAUGE AND WIDEBAND AFR GAUGE!!!!![/QUOTE]

I also am going with the procharger ho system. I did alot of research on superchargers and seems like this is the one for me. One of the reasons was that you didn't even notice the blower until you put your foot in it. I am curious of you comments. Could you be more specific????/

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
A ProCharger (and Vortech) are centrifugal superchargers. They make more boost as RPMs rise. There are many benefits to this. Contrast that to positive displacement supercharger, which will more or less make constant boost throughout the RPM range. Do your research and figure out which type is right for you. There is no right or wrong answer.

·
Super Moderator
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
lakerfan, good way to put,, no right or wrong. I fliped a coin a hundred times deciding on the Pro or the Vor. and Techo wasnt in the market anymore. My first choice.
FT

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I have both the Vortech and Procharger units available and at a price that is hard to beat! $5685 installed price here for the Vortech units and just about $650 more for Procharger units.

You really cant go wrong with either system. Which unit do you like the looks of more?

Tim C

·
Registered
68 Posts
You have alot of Vendors and Procharger owners that have commented about the HO kits. I have the HO kit on my Charger and put down 800+ rwhp and run deep 9's with the HO intercooler and bracket setup with that said if your looking to run some solid numbers the HO kit will be fine!!!

·
Vendor
941 Posts
9SECSRT runs a H.O. kit we mastered so anyone that tells you the H.O. kit isn't for modified HEMI's, they don't know what they're talking about. lol The Stage 2 kit is a nice kit, too, don't get me wrong and for the price it's not too much more but the install time is double since it is a much more complicated install. If you're paying for installation, this means the difference in price is not $600, it could be closer to $1200 more.

The ProCharger kits work great on the VVT motors, we just made over 500rwhp on a H.O. kit on a 6-Speed yesterday with an ultra safe tune. The VVT's really take to boost well, but the tuning is quite complicated and beside our shops, there's only maybe 5 tuners throughout the entire country I trust to understand the high level of tuning the vvt motors need to tune them safely.

Joshua, HHP

·
Vendor
941 Posts
I never thought about presenting it that way - but that pretty much sums up the builds we do. That's a good guideline on when you should upgrade to the Stage 2 as the high torque on the strokers could potentially cause belt slippage.

Josh

·
Registered
13 Posts
Charlie

SOOO... now i am completely confused??? I have a Challenger SRT8. Which is best for me Pro Charger, Vortech, Magna charger???? All basically good... I am not racing just a mid life crisis car that NEEDS to be as muscle as I can without going TOOO, TOOO nuts. I have already done high flow exhaust, cold air intake and Diablo which I know I will eliminate the cold air intake...I want to be able to drive normal and when I need it it's there... leaving SS Comaro's and Shelby's behind...

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Charlie, just search around this forum. There are tons of threads from the great supercharger wars of 2010. There are so many options, just do your research and figure out how you want the boost to come on, how much you want to make, and what your future plans may be.

·
Premium Member
8,295 Posts
SOOO... now i am completely confused??? I have a Challenger SRT8. Which is best for me Pro Charger, Vortech, Magna charger???? All basically good... I am not racing just a mid life crisis car that NEEDS to be as muscle as I can without going TOOO, TOOO nuts. I have already done high flow exhaust, cold air intake and Diablo which I know I will eliminate the cold air intake...I want to be able to drive normal and when I need it it's there... leaving SS Comaro's and Shelby's behind...
Unfortunately that is usually the outcome of threads like this, everyone gives you their opinion of what they think is best...and the person trying to make a decision is more confused. All three of the systems you are looking at are great systems. We have been doing Forced Induction on these cars for a long time, and have used all three on various builds, and have many happy customers running each of the styles. When someone asks me which s/c to go with...I cannot tell you one is necessarily better than the other...as they all will make great power on a stock hemi. It comes down to several factors.

- Goals for the car long and short term-is it a daily driver, is this going to be the only power mod or do you plan on further upgrades in the future, do you plan to road race or drag race it etc..etc
-Personal Taste- some people just like the look/feel of one system vs another
-Budget - A Complete Satin Voretch system starts at about $5200 shipped while a Poliched Magnacharger is $7500, and everything else can fall in between. So budget is important in the decision process.
-Powertrain Warranty- this is an important consideration to alot of folks just looking to add some additional power, it this is important only the Maggie and Vortech stay in the running as they offer this as an option...depending who sells/installs the system.

Those are just some of the questions, once answered can point you in what may be the best direction for you and your build. I would be happy to answer any questions you have about any of the systems mentioned, and help you in any way possible.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts