Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With a substantial number of 392 cars in the hands of the public now, how are these things running, for real? I've seen plenty of promising dyno numbers, as well as Chrysler's pre production runs in the 12.40 range. Has anyone seen a production 392 car on the drag strip, yet? I know that I am not the only person eagerly awaitng proof that these things do, indeed, run like they are supposed to. It seems that the R/T guys are running the wheels off of their cars, but, not so much, the SRT owners. Thanks, Counterman.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
'Reaction time' is going to play a big part on the numbers. Better not use mine!

·
Banned
1,076 Posts
the SRT guys have finally figured out they cant beat the RT on the track. At least none have beaten my little RT yet.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Except for the one in our group sucking on a baby bottle! We will see this spring what you have for the 392. I will leave it stock so you think you have a chance.

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T
2,991 Posts
^^ Are you going to CF2? :D lol

If anyone lives near Atco, hurry up and go race your 392 before weather gets too hot. Should see some nice times with -1500DA!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
'Reaction time' is going to play a big part on the numbers. Better not use mine!
Reaction time has nothing to do with the numbers. RT is how long is how long it takes the driver to "react". The ET dont start timing until it moves.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Reaction time has nothing to do with the numbers. RT is how long is how long it takes the driver to "react". The ET dont start timing until it moves.
DodgeTony, any chance we'll see you at the wheel of a 2011 SRT8? I'd love to see what you'll put down!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I would love to get one. Maybe some day. I will be happy to get a great deal on a 6.1 SRT.

·
Banned
1,076 Posts
Except for the one in our group sucking on a baby bottle! We will see this spring what you have for the 392. I will leave it stock so you think you have a chance.

I am looking forward to it. At least now I will be up against something pulling with two wheels not four. The baby bottle comment is funny. I am going to challengerfest 2, are you going to try and make it?

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
My prediction: Most automatics will be running 12.70s and most manuals will be running 12.90's. On a good launch with ESC disabled and a sticky track prep, lop-off about 2 tenths from those predictions.

I think it will be pretty rare to see 392 autos running 12.4x's like that Infineon video. That was cold and negative DA air and great track prep with no spin at all.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
My prediction: Most automatics will be running 12.70s and most manuals will be running 12.90's. On a good launch with ESC disabled and a sticky track prep, lop-off about 2 tenths from those predictions.

I think it will be pretty rare to see 392 autos running 12.4x's like that Infineon video. That was cold and negative DA air and great track prep with no spin at all.
That would be cool because I would be right there with em with my bone stock R/T. My 13.20 @ 105 time was with a +300 DA. It will be in the 12's bone stock on a good negative DA. :) I think there will be some good mid 12's on hot days with the 392 and low 12's on a nice DA. An 11 sec. run??? On stickys and a very negative DA.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
That would be cool because I would be right there with em with my bone stock R/T. My 13.20 @ 105 time was with a +300 DA. It will be in the 12's bone stock on a good negative DA. :) I think there will be some good mid 12's on hot days with the 392 and low 12's on a nice DA. An 11 sec. run??? On stickys and a very negative DA.
I think running with a 392 with a bone-stock R/T is a bit of wishful thinking. You're down 100 HP with the same weight and powertrain. Your best bet would be to holeshot a 392 manual driver who blows the launch but I would expect to get walked by the 1/8th or at worst the 1000' mark. 392s will be trapping at 110-112 which is 5-7 MPH higher than your R/T.

No way a stock 392 will run in the 11's. That Infineon 12.44 run is IMO the highwater mark to beat. Auto, cold air, negative DA - everything was in his favor that night. Lopping off another 0.5 sec ET will take at least 50-75 more HP. Maybe with a tuner, LTs, mids, high flow cats, and exhaust a 392 auto will see low, low 12's in good air.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I think running with a 392 with a bone-stock R/T is a bit of wishful thinking. You're down 100 HP with the same weight and powertrain. Your best bet would be to holeshot a 392 manual driver who blows the launch but I would expect to get walked by the 1/8th or at worst the 1000' mark. 392s will be trapping at 110-112 which is 5-7 MPH higher than your R/T.
I think the 392 weighs at least a couple of hundred pounds more than a `10 RT.

Here is a real world run. FWIW

Best ET 13.35 @ 113 mph... No Traction... first 60'....

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
12.40s - 13.0s @ 110 - 114MPH - That is a hell-of-a-range. I think if 6.1 guys w/ autos can run 12.90s stock, we should see 12.50s out of the 392 on a good day. I wish I had my chance.

·
Premium Member
8,295 Posts
Auto cars should be easy mid 12's stock...6.1's are 12.9-13.0 stock in many cases and 5.7's can run high 12's with just bolt ons..on street tires, I expect to see mid 12's especially for the auto cars. If they hurry up and build the GWE we will tell you what they will run!

·
Registered
533 Posts
During the Cross-Country HEMI Tour that Dodge used to introduce the new 392 IE cars, they touted that the car had run 12.44 @ 110 in the 1/4 mile. Here's the video proof. This was at Infineon Raceway (aka Sears Point, Sonoma, CA) on the last Wednesday Night Drags of the year on 11/10/2010. I totally wanted to go to this, but couldn't get off work. The cars were in the NASCAR garages and some people were looking at them. They were there for the car press to drive on the road course the next day and had just arrived from the SEMA show in Las Vegas. The Dodge people weren't planning on taking the cars down the strip, but my NCC buddy RW99 was there with his Challenger and convinced them to make a pass with the car. (He also took this video.) What a run! And this is in the notorious Infineon Raceway headwind that is ever-present for night races (explains the low MPH), but it definitely was a chilly night.

Check out the inexperienced driver ignoring the starter. But more importantly, check out the launch! Anyone who has taken their 6.1L SRT to the track wished their car launched like that with STOCK F1 TIRES! No hesitation, it just pulls hard! For sure I wish my Challenger could launch like that.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
113mph is a nice speed for a shakedown run. Solidly in the 12's on the 392's :thumbsup:.
Looks like he was spinning out of the hole. The 113 MPH trap speed is definitely indicative of the HP the 392 is making, and with decent track prep and some drag radials, 12.60s should be easily achieveable.

I really don't think we'll be seeing a slew of 12.4x runs from 392 autos. The DA was probably negative that night, and the track prep looked stellar with no spinning from the F1s.

Notice how the trap speed was actually lower on the Infineon run. A 2-3 MPH difference in trap speed is quite significant, since speed varies with the cube of HP. So the 392 in the video Car Charger posted in theory has the potential to run faster than the Infineon car - if it can hook-up on the hole-shot.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Does NOBODY pay attention? That car ran 14.56 according to the announcer. I sure didn't see or hear anything close to the 13's.

Nor do I believe a bone stock RT will smell a 13.20, unless it's down a mine shaft. Sorry, but power to weight ratios don't lie...

1 - 20 of 110 Posts