Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Production 392 quarter mile times??

23K views 109 replies 36 participants last post by  jsd512 
#1 ·
With a substantial number of 392 cars in the hands of the public now, how are these things running, for real? I've seen plenty of promising dyno numbers, as well as Chrysler's pre production runs in the 12.40 range. Has anyone seen a production 392 car on the drag strip, yet? I know that I am not the only person eagerly awaitng proof that these things do, indeed, run like they are supposed to. It seems that the R/T guys are running the wheels off of their cars, but, not so much, the SRT owners. Thanks, Counterman.

#37 ·
I upgraded from my supercharged R/T to a 392 and I can say from experience that the 392 has more balls than my R/T did. All the power was up top in the R/T (even with a twin screw) and now I get the power all through the RPM range. It is blissful :)

#4 ·
Except for the one in our group sucking on a baby bottle! We will see this spring what you have for the 392. I will leave it stock so you think you have a chance.

#5 ·
^^ Are you going to CF2? :D lol

If anyone lives near Atco, hurry up and go race your 392 before weather gets too hot. Should see some nice times with -1500DA!

#10 ·
My prediction: Most automatics will be running 12.70s and most manuals will be running 12.90's. On a good launch with ESC disabled and a sticky track prep, lop-off about 2 tenths from those predictions.

I think it will be pretty rare to see 392 autos running 12.4x's like that Infineon video. That was cold and negative DA air and great track prep with no spin at all.

#11 ·
That would be cool because I would be right there with em with my bone stock R/T. My 13.20 @ 105 time was with a +300 DA. It will be in the 12's bone stock on a good negative DA. :) I think there will be some good mid 12's on hot days with the 392 and low 12's on a nice DA. An 11 sec. run??? On stickys and a very negative DA.

#16 ·
12.40s - 13.0s @ 110 - 114MPH - That is a hell-of-a-range. I think if 6.1 guys w/ autos can run 12.90s stock, we should see 12.50s out of the 392 on a good day. I wish I had my chance.

#17 ·
Auto cars should be easy mid 12's stock...6.1's are 12.9-13.0 stock in many cases and 5.7's can run high 12's with just bolt ons..on street tires, I expect to see mid 12's especially for the auto cars. If they hurry up and build the GWE we will tell you what they will run!

#18 ·
During the Cross-Country HEMI Tour that Dodge used to introduce the new 392 IE cars, they touted that the car had run 12.44 @ 110 in the 1/4 mile. Here's the video proof. This was at Infineon Raceway (aka Sears Point, Sonoma, CA) on the last Wednesday Night Drags of the year on 11/10/2010. I totally wanted to go to this, but couldn't get off work. The cars were in the NASCAR garages and some people were looking at them. They were there for the car press to drive on the road course the next day and had just arrived from the SEMA show in Las Vegas. The Dodge people weren't planning on taking the cars down the strip, but my NCC buddy RW99 was there with his Challenger and convinced them to make a pass with the car. (He also took this video.) What a run! And this is in the notorious Infineon Raceway headwind that is ever-present for night races (explains the low MPH), but it definitely was a chilly night.

Check out the inexperienced driver ignoring the starter. But more importantly, check out the launch! Anyone who has taken their 6.1L SRT to the track wished their car launched like that with STOCK F1 TIRES! No hesitation, it just pulls hard! For sure I wish my Challenger could launch like that.

#20 ·
Does NOBODY pay attention? That car ran 14.56 according to the announcer. I sure didn't see or hear anything close to the 13's.

Nor do I believe a bone stock RT will smell a 13.20, unless it's down a mine shaft. Sorry, but power to weight ratios don't lie...

#21 · (Edited)
Nor do I believe a bone stock RT will smell a 13.20, unless it's down a mine shaft. Sorry, but power to weight ratios don't lie...
Well both my bone stock auto R/T's run 13.20's @ 105. Yes BONE STOCK FROM THE FACTORY WITH NO MODS!!!! +300 DA and half tank gas. Both with stock weight, no weight reduction at all. Still has the spare tire in em both. The SRT8 airbox and K&N on my R/T Classic gave it zero gains at the track. Also, the Mopar 10 will be seeing a better time than that 13.20 next winter. I will get my 12 sec. timeslip on a bone stock R/T in the wintertime. I can bring my 1.95 60ft down to a 1.8 and better air than that +300 DA I had will get it in the 12's.

#26 ·
Gotta remember, the 392's at the track right now have no tuners avail so they are running full tq mgmt with sloppy/slow shifts. No formal cai's and exhaust so to speak, etc. And the tires are substandard for that hp range. You put an r/t back to 100% stock with factory tune, airbox, and exhaust and it'll be a far cry from even a 13.1. Once these 392's have tuning and folks even lightly mod them and have traction we'll be seeing mainly low to mid 12's all day long I betcha.

#27 ·
You put an r/t back to 100% stock with factory tune, airbox, and exhaust and it'll be a far cry from even a 13.1.
Well, im only 1 tenth off from a 13.1 bone stock with the factory airbox. The SRT airbox and K&N did nothing for me at the track. Tested it and 13.20's with the stock airbox and filter. Only reason I keep it on is because I like the sound.:bigthumb:

#29 ·
Good lord, a 13.9 @ 107??? I hope its just more practice and a REALLY crappy DA. Immabout to reconsider what I have been talking myself into. Which is already trade my R/T Classic in for a Black with silver stripe 392. As of now, im keeping it until I see much better results. I still want to see something other than that 12.44 run at Infineon to back it up.

#31 ·
Lisa ran 12.87 on oem 18" all season radials with a cat back cai and canned tune in her 5.7... Was low 13's consistently one stock...so yes 5.7 = low 13's stock, 6.1 = high 12's stock and therefore the 392 should be easy mid 12's based on the extra power stock

#32 ·
Man, my service writer called me telling me the 392 they got in is now fixed. Its a black with silver stripe auto no sunroof. Im gonna go see the deal they can get me. The last time I tried to buy a car there they pretty much tried to bend me over so im not getting my hopes up. If I do get a deal, then we will see what a 392 can do in a few weeks. Ill drive that ***** to a low 12. LOL

#40 ·
Richsrt8--that was me at Orlando speedworld in the 392 the 13:98 was at 1/2 throttle only had 220 miles on the car,just got it a few days before ..SRT8TECH,i was just trying to get the feel of the car and to show my son the power that it has. best time that day was a 13:67@108.4MPH at 3/4 throttle from the 60 foot mark. both runs i left the line kinda slow till about the 40 foot mark.. will be back out at the track on sunday May 1st will have more miles and time with the car

#42 ·
Richsrt8--that was me at Orlando speedworld in the 392 the 13:98 was at 1/2 throttle only had 220 miles on the car,just got it a few days before ..SRT8TECH,i was just trying to get the feel of the car and to show my son the power that it has. best time that day was a 13:67@108.4MPH at 3/4 throttle from the 60 foot mark. both runs i left the line kinda slow till about the 40 foot mark.. will be back out at the track on sunday May 1st will have more miles and time with the car
I figured it had to be something. LOL.

#41 ·
I hope to be heading to the track this weekend or next and hopefully get some great numbers to put of for ya'll.

As for the Infineon drag video, I don't think it's one bit safe to base the numbers that we're gonna be seeing on the stock 392, off of that video. That was still a pre-production car used in the video. No telling what tune was on it or if it even had the exact same engine that went into production. For all we know, they had the 392 crate engine in there... We can only know what Dodge ended up putting in the car.
But, we'll definitely see soon what they do.

Sincerely,
Steve H.

#49 ·
thanks for chiming in those with the 392 ET's. I figure it'll take a year before folks start getting these cars dialed in and learning how to drive them. Too much hp for the tiny ole tires to remotely begin expecting good ET's. Once tuned, cai, exhuast, DR's, I still expect to see high 11's in awesome DA days.

#50 ·
hemifever, i beleive you are right high 11,s is my goal

#51 ·
Shouldn't be too much of a stretch.......

Guess you haven't run up against the right SRT yet :browsmiley:

I am saying my experience with a 100% stock 6.1 with a twin screw runs in the 11's and have seen 121mph trap speeds. HP figures for twin screw 6.1's are about 600HP. You tell me which one will feel faster?
Since Larger displacement blowers make peak power in the high RPM range, often smaller blowers or torque heavy NA cars can 'feel' faster, especially if not driving to the absolute limits (driving at lower RPMs).

#53 ·
Drove an IE 392 yesterday..and they are powerful! No doubt they will see 12.4s and under, just need to get traction!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.