Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heard from a very reliable source that Dodge will most likely not produce the 426 HEMI for production cars. They will for racing apps.... believe is already announced. Source told me that they had a lot of problems making the 392 within legal parameters and upper management is putting a lot of resistance towards the 426 project. Source also stated that project was a full go until just recently. Sorry....for obvious reasons I cannot reveal the source.....and the 426 project might still go forward. Oh...on top of everything else the source said that warranty is also an issue.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Heard from a very reliable source that Dodge will most likely not produce the 426 HEMI for production cars. They will for racing apps.... believe is already announced. Source told me that they had a lot of problems making the 392 within legal parameters and upper management is putting a lot of resistance towards the 426 project. Source also stated that project was a full go until just recently. Sorry....for obvious reasons I cannot reveal the source.....and the 426 project might still go forward. Oh...on top of everything else the source said that warranty is also an issue.
well, damn it! I'm gonna go outside and hug my tree!

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
I may be the first and only one to say this.......but I am glad of sorts.

As an owner of a 392, I am ok with a 426 going into production, that would be awesome.

However, I would like to see 4 to 5 years production out of the 392 first so the aftermarket has the necessary demand to build parts for the 392.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Yea it would actually be nice to find something built for the 392!! besides an oil filter! WTH??

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Well, thinking the 6.4(392) is built off the 5.7L, I would think at least you get CAI that was meant for the 5.7, I could be wrong, just thinking. As far as the 426, it could be done, but I think they need to go with direct injection for one. The warranty issues is just the bean counters being way to cautious about things.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I may be the first and only one to say this.......but I am glad of sorts.

As an owner of a 392, I am ok with a 426 going into production, that would be awesome.

However, I would like to see 4 to 5 years production out of the 392 first so the aftermarket has the necessary demand to build parts for the 392.
Amen to that. The original factory 392 had a short run...lets not duplicate that just for nostalgia sake. I'd like to see this engine take a firm hold.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Disappointing & I don't totally buy it. If they announce a 426 for say
2014 or 2015 it would hold some buyers off for a few years .
The 7.0 aka 426 is marketing gold & when sales slack off on the current
SRT's I expect they will re-visit the idea.

Meantime I could see an all aluminum 392 for 2013 or 2014

·
Registered
432 Posts
I don't see a 426 necessarily replacing the 392. They could easily put the 470hp 392 in the R/T, and put a 575hp 426 in the SRT8. Bring forth the elephant !

An all aluminum 392 would definitely be nice as well. However, would the block still be painted orange ? :browsmiley:

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
...the warranty issues is just the bean counters being way to cautious about things.
How would people feel about a 12 month / 12,000 mile non-transferable drive train warranty on a 426? Would you be willing to buy that? Or would that scare off buyers?

Not like Dodge hasn't done that before. That is exactly what they did with the 440 SixPack and 426 Hemis: 12 month /12,000 mile warranty and limited to original owner only. Everything else had a transferable 5 year / 50,000 mile warranty.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
My guess is to make reasonably streetable and somewhat bullit proof (for warranty reasons) they took a look at the Bill Of Materials cost and figured they would be way out of the price point for the high side of the market. Probably why upper management is hesitating. They gotta make some money on the thing. IMO

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
I wonder if this suggests that the 392 is essentially the largest size Hemi that can be built and equipped properly to be emissions legal?

...or is it just a matter of redesigning heads and pistons (no small matter, of course) inspired from the 392 such that they will fit on a 426? Is the camshaft location entirely different in those blocks such that it makes the valvetrain/head architecture essentially like starting at square 1, again?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
There's no way in hell their going to go through the extraordinary expense of the certification process on a 426 for a limited run car, they're not in that kind of financial shape. Fiat is buying the last remaining portion of the treasuries ownership in Chrysler so I would suspect even more cost streamlining to keep them out of the red, a 426 project would contribute nothing to that goal...
Would be cool though!

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Chrysler is way behind in the technology department. Especially when it comes to a V8 and gas milage. I dont think they coud pass emissions and get decent fuel milage with a 426. Chevy does it with thier 7.0L LS7 motor but GM has been getting kick ass milage with the LS motors for YEARS!!! Honestly I know Chrysler will never do it but they need to change over from the speed density to mass air system. That will help with power, fuel milage and emissions.

·
Registered
399 Posts
You guys know that if you want a 426 Hemi Challenger you can get one from Speedfactory right? I've actually seen one at the dealership here in Georgia. They look pretty sweet :) I think their high end one puts out 700hp.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
after all the time and effort getting the 392 into a production car i doubt they start over on the 426....it would be cool, if just for the retro CI

i think it would be smarter to do a Supercharged 5.7 or 6.4.....a local guy is getting 11's with his 5.7 supercharged RT(no bottom end mods).....throw 3.73's in it and you'd have a super car to compete with the ZL-1.....dont even need the 392

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
As to the LS7, it really shouldn't be a surprise that it can be made to easily pass emissions. That is simply inherent to its design, rather than it being about "technology". The Wedge-head design inherently and intentionally lends itself to turbulent flow upon cylinder filling which helps out "complete burn", at the expense of maximum flow upon cylinder filling. The Hemi's, otoh, are born for facilitating maximum, laminar flow upon cylinder filling, which leads to more charge to burn for developing power, but not much in the way of turbulence to foster complete burn. So it's always going to suffer from emissions more than any wedge-head design of similar displacement. It's just the yin-yan to engine design. Unfortunately, we have govt micromanage involved, which throws a wrench into the works. If they didn't care, we wouldn't either...

Here's the irony to it all...what if they did release a 426? It would have to produce even more hp to meet expectations in a modern engine. So it will have to be cam'd for more top end, just like the 392 is. So the new 426 still won't have the bottom end torque that the old 426 does, in order for it to deliver more top end output. If you think about it, the current 392 already delivers the top end that the old 426 did. So a new 426 would clearly have to come with more pk hp out of the box than that. That expectation is always going to force some sacrifice on the low end (unless Dodge is brave enough to make another outlier tuning like they did for the 392...not shooting for ultimate pk hp, in order to give a big, full midrange and a mild increase on the low end).

So what does it come down to...will the market respond more to a new 426 simply out of nameplate, but needs to be packing no-apologies pk hp, or will they respond more to a new 426 that aspires to duplicate the powerband of the old 426 from top to bottom (with the perks being somewhat reasonable mpg for current day)? Why just "duplicate"?...well, why is a "426" all that significant in the big picture of things in the first place? We already have a modern 392 that pretty much delivers the upper half of the powerband of the old 426. So what is missing, here? 426-like low end or more hp?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
How would people feel about a 12 month / 12,000 mile non-transferable drive train warranty on a 426? Would you be willing to buy that? Or would that scare off buyers?

Not like Dodge hasn't done that before. That is exactly what they did with the 440 SixPack and 426 Hemis: 12 month /12,000 mile warranty and limited to original owner only. Everything else had a transferable 5 year / 50,000 mile warranty.
I might be remembering this wrong, but didn't the 2009/2010 6.1L SRT8 come without any powertrain warranty at all?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts