Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
601 Posts
What kind of news is this? "May"?! Where did they come up with that number? There are a lot of things that "may" happen... Bad journalism if you ask me. I think on allpar I read that they will make about 300 a month. So now we have two numbers already. I am sure if the demand is there they will increase production. From Wikipedia about the 2007 to 2009 GT500:

"A collaboration of Ford's Special Vehicle Team (SVT) and Carroll Shelby, the GT500 was produced in limited quantity for three years (approximately 10,000 units per year) on the line at Ford's Flat Rock, Michigan (AutoAlliance) assembly facility."

Not sure how accurate this is...

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Why would company invest in making something and when is tome to colet the profit to limit that?? Make no sense to me.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Of course it's limited production, you expected a free-for-all??
Why do you assume that because there will likely be some disappointment that only 1200 will be made that anyone expected a "free-for-all"? Why must every damn statement made on the Internet be met with such extreme opposition?

Anyway, I guess I have to spell it out for you - I was not expecting Dodge produce 100k hellcats out of the gate, but was hoping that they'd at least produce something closer to 5k since there are like 2400 dealers in the US - I was thinking that each would maybe get at least a pair to sell.

Reactions: brandy16

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Challenger 392
1,536 Posts
This is fishy...thinking it's just like the $79,000 price tag rumor...not accurate.

It's been repeatedly stated that they would make as many as are ordered...and the projection is 4,000 per year, which looking at SRT sales figures sounds about right. Now CAFE does somewhat limit this as they can't drag their avg mpg down too low...but 4,000 has repeatedly been stated as well as the fact that the mpg isn't THAT bad...20ish highway and likely 14 city...

·
Premium Member
2,647 Posts
they cannot afford to build many, poor fuel economy will hurt the overall cafe ratings, which can affect the entire vehicle fleet, but then i was off by 10k on the price, who knows
Luke
You will make up that 10K with your mark up....

Sorry...I couldn't resist...too easy....:icon_wink:

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Very strange if true. They make it affordable to a lot of people who originally thought it would be priced out of reach. And then produce so few that these people will not be able to get them because so few will be produced? 1200 could be sold in a matter of hours. They made more 2011 IE Challengers than that.

Makes no sense from a Financial perspective for Chrysler.
If only 1200 are really going to be produced, they could have easily charged a higher MSRP and got a higher profit.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
All of this Hellcat hype and accompanying nonsense is going right in one ear, only to be quickly expelled by the other. I'm sick & tired of rumors and speculation. Hell (no pun intended).........despite the fact that the price was supposedly firm at $59.9K, even that's been disputed by this article and another I read yesterday, whereas the car was +$1000 MSRP, $60.9K. To further complicate the matter, apparently many dealers are going to ask well above MSRP - which will be all the more likely if the Hellcat release is of the limited variety.

Considering all this, and the lack of a couple of "must have" options + and a color choice that is currently unavailable, I won't even think about a Hellcat until at least 2016 - if I ever do !!

Terrific car, but I'm sick & tired of the "teasing" and accompanying media inaccuracies that have plagued this entire pre-release on an almost daily basis.

Good luck to all diehards that'll pay any price and accept any Hellcat (equipment & color-be damned) just to be the first on their block to own one.

Me, personally...................If I've learned one thing in my 66 years, it's that "patience is a virtue."

Regards,

Gary aka "beamg5"

·
Registered
842 Posts
Might be a limited run to see how many people bite. I know around here all the pre order spots are supposedly taken up, people went ape shit over the car. I couldn't get one new till next year sometime if I tried.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I'll be looking for a "plain ole" 2015 SRT 392 and skip the Hellcat headache.

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
Steve White will Hammer you on Mark Up over MSRP. Don't Order from them looking to be treated with a fair price on a Hellcat.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Ordering begins in Aug., so 1,200 built in 2014 might be about right when you consider the time it takes to order, build and ship. Doesn't mean that in 2015 they build and ship 5,000 or more. Question is, will 5,000 or more customers willing to pay $60+ for a Challenger? I for one say yes but I'm called crazy everyday.

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
11,033 Posts
I've read 3,000 for the first year in several places due to limited initial production capacity. I'll wait for Chrysler to give us a specific number, but I do remember as stated earlier that they said they weren't going to limit production, but would build what was ordered.

If I was in the market for one I'd just wait for 2016 model year and avoid all the ridiculous markup that many dealerships are going to try and get.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Ordering begins in Aug., so 1,200 built in 2014 might be about right when you consider the time it takes to order, build and ship. Doesn't mean that in 2015 they build and ship 5,000 or more. Question is, will 5,000 or more customers willing to pay $60+ for a Challenger? I for one say yes but I'm called crazy everyday.
The article is not talking about 2014 or 2015. They are saying 2015 model year Hellcats in Total will be limited to 1200 units.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
"2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat Production May Be Limited to 1,200 Cars"

However, Dodge CEO Tim Kuniskis would not confirm that number and said: "We don't know what the market demand is."

Tim Kuniskis:
Paul - we've never offered a supercharged HEMI before, but being a new offering for us, we are unsure of consumer demand. As a result, we are not targeting nor constraining volumes at this point. We will gauge consumer demand at market launch.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts