Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
love the new challenger
but does anyone think like me that the challenger on the lx platform will be to heavy
the chargers are about 4000lbs
the challenger needs to be about 3600lbs to be competitive with the mustang and the new camero

·
Registered
492 Posts
tramp said:
love the new challenger
but does anyone think like me that the challenger on the lx platform will be to heavy
the chargers are about 4000lbs
the challenger needs to be about 3600lbs to be competitive with the mustang and the new camero
Since I'm sure that it'll be built on the new LY platform; thus, the reasoning for the actual build date announcement delay, so I'll therefore just wait until DCX releases their final projected numbers before developing any opinions on this subject. BTW, I won't be purchasing my 'Challenger' to race...just to cruise, so that onlookers will be able to see much more than just my taillights. :D

·
Registered
153 Posts
Mr.DJ said:
BTW, I won't be purchasing my 'Challenger' to race...just to cruise, so that onlookers will be able to see much more than just my taillights. :D
You don't have to race to enjoy the benefits of a light nimble car. On the street is where it is the most enjoyable. Curves are FUN!

·
Registered
598 Posts
...Being that the new shelby stang comes in at 3920,and the charger and 300c come in around +or- 4200 lbs.,.....unfortunately with IRS,I see the bigger engine new hemi model challenger coming in at 4000-4100 lbs.:eek: ;)

·
Registered
82 Posts
The reasoning behind the weight factor and that goes for every car manufacture out their, the latest Federal Safety is mandated for 2007. The increase factor is over 150-600 lbs depending on the size of the vehicle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The Challenger is 6 inches shorter than the Charger, so it will weight about 200-250 lbs less, which will make it in the range of 3900-3950 lbs. A bigger engine (6.4L Hemi will not weigh more, it based upon 5.7 Hemi Block and don't forget the New Hemi is not a big block, it has many aluminum components, so it weighs about the same as the small block (318-340), not the same as the old Iron 426 Hemi. The Challenger will have NO problems competing and beating the Mustang, plus the Challenger will have the room to seat 4 people comfortably. I couldn't even seat my small children (under the age of 6) in the back seat of a mustang.

·
Registered
598 Posts
...Either way,..I'm sure they're not going with carbon fiber like the Z06,....I will bet the bank it comes in around 4000-4100lbs,:eek: ;) ...with irs and just overall size!

·
Registered
11 Posts
These are the official weights of the Hemi Chargers: R/T 5.7 Hemi Charger is 4031lbs, the SRT is 4160lbs. the reason for the weight difference is not the engine sizes, its' the 18" vs 20" wheels and the additional options on the SRT.
If you take into account that the "All Metal" Challenger will be 6" shorter... You can subtract about 200-250lbs, which would put the 5.7, 6.1 and 6.4 challenger in the range of 3780lbs to 3910lbs, period... This would include 20" wheels, IRS and the additional options. You can forget about an all carbon fiber body, it will make the car cost $40,000+. The 3.5 V-6 Challenger will weigh in at about 3,500-3,600lbs. I could see DC using some Carbon Fiber components, like front hood, trunk Lid, front fenders which could save about 75lbs-100lbs in weight.
I have heard the GT-500 Mustang weights 3,800-3,900lbs + but have not been able to get the official weight from Ford.

·
Registered
598 Posts
mad mike said:
These are the official weights of the Hemi Chargers: R/T 5.7 Hemi Charger is 4031lbs, the SRT is 4160lbs. the reason for the weight difference is not the engine sizes, its' the 18" vs 20" wheels and the additional options on the SRT.
If you take into account that the "All Metal" Challenger will be 6" shorter... You can subtract about 200-250lbs, which would put the 5.7, 6.1 and 6.4 challenger in the range of 3780lbs to 3910lbs, period... This would include 20" wheels, IRS and the additional options. You can forget about an all carbon fiber body, it will make the car cost $40,000+. The 3.5 V-6 Challenger will weigh in at about 3,500-3,600lbs. I could see DC using some Carbon Fiber components, like front hood, trunk Lid, front fenders which could save about 75lbs-100lbs in weight.
I have heard the GT-500 Mustang weights 3,800-3,900lbs + but have not been able to get the official weight from Ford.
3920 for the gt500! IMO, Challenger will be at least 4000 lbs., for the srt-8!!!!;) :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
I don't care what the pig weighs the power to weight ratios seems good enough for impressive 0-60, ¼ mile and top speed. I kind of like the fact this car is more 1971 Road Runner size as well. Really though I’m sure in the halls of DCX the weight conversation is happening and the lighter the better.

·
Registered
153 Posts
mad mike said:
If you take into account that the "All Metal" Challenger will be 6" shorter... You can subtract about 200-250lbs, which would put the 5.7, 6.1 and 6.4 challenger in the range of 3780lbs to 3910lbs, period...
The Challenger is only is only 3.1 inches shorter (201.1 vs 197.8) than the Charger at this point. And unfortunatly what little bit of weight they save will be insignificant. :(

1 - 20 of 22 Posts