Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Challenger Hellcat Widebody
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted some help with what products and techniques members use to clean their car once they arrived at a car show. My car is usually spotless when I leave my house but once I get to the car show (depending on distance), the car sometimes has road dust or other contaminants on it. Just wondering what others use to wipe the car down with and/or techniques to avoid scratches and swirls (ie. detailer, wax, California duster). Not looking to get into a huge debate, just looking for advice. I do have a black car so it does make it that much more a pain in the a$$.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Ca. Duster for sure and a quick detailing juice like Griots speed shine which will take off minor junk.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome. Thanks Bigdodge and Scottg. I was thinking about getting a California duster but wasn't sure if it would cause swirls.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Your car is black, so you need to take extraordinary measures to prevent scratches.

My humble suggestions when you get to the show:
1. Never use a duster. I don't care who says what these things are not for show (or black) cars. If you insist, I have one I'll give you for free if you pay the postage.

2. Use a rinse free wash and wax product like Optima or Surf City Garage's products. If you use the microfiber towel technique you only need one bucket, and you can wash down your entire car including glass and wheels in about 30 minutes.

3. Finish with a spray wax like Griot's or other quality brand.

·
Registered
GCM 2015 Challenger
55 Posts
Your car is black, so you need to take extraordinary measures to prevent scratches.

My humble suggestions when you get to the show:
1. Never use a duster. I don't care who says what these things are not for show (or black) cars. If you insist, I have one I'll give you for free if you pay the postage.
I second this comment. Friends, don't let friends use dusters!

There are tons of detailing mists and quick spray waxes out there to suit your purpose. Personally I use spray and gloss from poor boys. I also carry a bottle of Zymol detail spray in my trunk. Just remember that nothing touches the car that is dry. Spray your microfiber towel, not just the vehicle. In most instances you just need to spray the towel and not flood the car with product.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Wipe w/ Lemon pledge.... :thumbsup:
SAFE, and your car will pop like never before...
My 1978 Indy Pace Car won EVERY show it entered (100's)....

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I have no issue using a duster, but my car is not black so I won't fuel any debate here.

A couple things not mentioned:

The most obvious is to check for and clean any bugs on the front end/hood/mirrors and a general inspection/touch up of the car, whether with a duster, detail spray, no rinse or whatever.

Bring glass cleaner. You might pick up bugs etc on the way , missed / streaked a spot or some dope might touch your windshield.

Give your wheels a quick wipedown. Use a dedicated rag and your favorite product (I'll typically use Meg's QD) to clean 70 your wheels. No matter how well you cleaned them at home you will have a film of brake dust when you arrive at the show that will obscure your wheel finish.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Pledge is for furniture.Car duster is worst product on the market unless you have a white car, you could use 400 grit sandpaper on white and not see the scratches.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Wipe w/ Lemon pledge.... :thumbsup:
SAFE, and your car will pop like never before...
I'm sure there's going to be a lot of thumbs-down for this idea but it works great and it's safe. Back in the day before all these fancy-schmancy interior products (including Armor All) Pledge was all we used. The original scent smells just like a new car.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,232 Posts
I usually bring a small pesticide container filled with Duragloss Rinseless with Aquawax (#931 mixed as detail spray) to car shows; if I'm travelling long distance, will bring second one filled with DG's #902 Car Wash Concentrate.

If just road dust, the 931 is just a detailer; if I have bugs n stuff, I spray wash with the 902 then rinse with the 931 (this is my standard wash technique, simply transferred to sprayers as opposed to buckets). The 902 requires a rinse, which I perform using the #931 .

I also carry Goo Gone and Duragloss Swirl Remover for removing road tar, baked on bug guts, etc.

The pesticide sprayers work quite well, fit upright in the trunk (both the 1 gal and 2 gallon containers).

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I usually bring a small pesticide container filled with Duragloss Rinseless with Aquawax (#931 mixed as detail spray) to car shows; if I'm travelling long distance, will bring second one filled with DG's #902 Car Wash Concentrate.

If just road dust, the 931 is just a detailer; if I have bugs n stuff, I spray wash with the 902 then rinse with the 931 (this is my standard wash technique, simply transferred to sprayers as opposed to buckets). The 902 requires a rinse, which I perform using the #931 .

I also carry Goo Gone and Duragloss Swirl Remover for removing road tar, baked on bug guts, etc.

The pesticide sprayers work quite well, fit upright in the trunk (both the 1 gal and 2 gallon containers).

Hope this helps.
The spray bottles are a brilliant idea. I may have to steal it. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,492 Posts

Hope this helps.
How do you use the 902 without water?

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,232 Posts
How do you use the 902 without water?
I mix 3 cap fulls per gallon of water, into either the 1 gal or 2 gal sprayer filled with water.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Yes California dusters are terrible if you don't use them right. I have used the junkmans technique on my black challenger and have not suffered scratches from using it....and I am extremely anal about scratches and water spots so I would have noticed.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
FREE CALIFORNIA DUSTER!

You can have mine, just pay the shipping charge.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,232 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts