Dodge Challenger Forum banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
You know Mad Max had a solution already thought out for the car accident vs black box scenario (referencing The Road Warrior). ;)

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
I have the State Farm one in mine. since I only drive it 3k a year, mostly during daylight hours I get A to B grades on that. Acceleration, deceleration and speed while turning I get C to D grades. It also gives low grades for driving over 85..... I hit 133 with it in, on the P.A. turnpike, never got hate mail for that. It does save me money though in the end because of the low mileage. I figure if someone consistently drive 100+ MPH and does not have any claims that should speak for itself. :p

·
Registered
627 Posts
So how do you know they are dinging you? are you getting notices in the mail or immediate prices hikes? Just curious
I signed up with Nationwide when I got my winter beater so my SRT wouldn't be out in the bad weather. So I picked up a used 2005 Buick Rendevous and they offered me a discount for monitoring that for 6 months. Figured why not, I only drive it in bad weather and its a Buick anyway. But every month they would send me an e-mail listing number of instances for excessive acceleration, braking, driving betweeen 12-6 AM, and 1 other thing I don't remember. Anyway, never had 1 instance. That thing just can't accelerate or brake that hard and I don't drive those hours anymore. But I said no to putting it on my car and even my wife did not want it on her Malibu. But after 6 months, you take the thing out of your car and send it back to them, and that's it. Its no longer in the car and no longer monitoring you.

·
Super Moderator
14,408 Posts
Do they fit you with one of these at the same time?

Frank
That's a good one! Pretty much the equivalent.

Like a previous post, there was the "excessive braking" and "excessive acceleration" nonsense.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Just the name of that company tells me all I need to know to not do business with them.
They lean so far to the left, they're almost horizontal. Giving them any kind of information about anything would be nuts, IMHO.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I think once most people understand all of the potential ramifications of allowing such personal data to be tracked and stored they will come to really dislike it. It may be too late. And there in lies the result. People DON"T want or agree with this, but it is happening anyway.
That was :lol:

I am so glad this thread is going like I thought it would... :cheers:
However in 2013 it was made federal law that all new cars came with "Extended Data Recorders" This extension of the original specs records every sensor for 10 seconds and if the car suddenly stops(crashes) the data is saved for the police to read back. This data is actually available in most cars since 2007 and only VW and VW owned companies rejected recording any data(privacy concerns for owners) until it was forced on them in 2013 by this federal law.

Ron
Per the Driver Privacy Act of 2015.

"Any data retained by an event data recorder… is the property of the owner or, in the case of a leased vehicle, the lessee of the motor vehicle…”

If the data wasn't obtained with a warrant, it's not admissible in a criminal case. Rules are different with civil cases but you're within your rights to demand that the company that towed your vehicle deliver it to your house or restrict access to it unless you're present. I'd prefer delivery to locked storage.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Time to put on our tin foil hats....given the discussion on this thread, the points made above, and the fact that our Congress has already exhibited its concern for our privacy by repealing the Internet Privacy laws (As Congress Repeals Internet Privacy Rules, Putting Your Options In Perspective : All Tech Considered : NPR...

...how long until insurance companies want to start cashing in on usage habits by selling data to advertisers of other products, and thus pay Congress to mandate these devices so they have information to sell?

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
@;
That's a good one! Pretty much the equivalent.

Like a previous post, there was the "excessive braking" and "excessive acceleration" nonsense.
Next: It comes with a microphone to catch "excessive cursing" inside your own car when the idiot in the Prius has changed lanes three times without using his blinkers.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Would they notice if you took it off your car and installed it on your wife's Prius, instead? >:)

Frank
I put one on my wife's car, but it's not from Progressive. She drives fine, but her daughter is another story. Now I can follow it all on my agency's web site. :D

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Next: It comes with a microphone to catch "excessive cursing" inside your own car when the idiot in the Prius has changed lanes three times without using his blinkers.

Be careful...looking at where you live that would most likely be the first place to implement that....along with a cursing tax... ;)

·
Registered
79 Posts
100% in agreement - I did not pay good money for the Challenger to save $100 on insurance at the expense of my privacy

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Be careful...looking at where you live that would moist likely be the first place to implement that....along with a cursing tax... ;)
There will also be one for all the special snowflakes, that they can input their pronouns into and install in their car, and if I don't guess their pronouns properly when I curse in their direction, I get a transphobic penalty fee on top of my cursing tax.

·
Registered
646 Posts
We have those tattle tales on our trucks in the plant at work. They got a 15mph speed limit and every time you speed the boss gets an email! They start beeping if you speed, if you hit a bump if you dont wear your seat belt,ect.ect. God they are a pain the butt! Aint no way in hell I would install anything like that in my Challenger! I wouldn't care if they gave me free insurance!!!!!LOL!

61 - 77 of 77 Posts
About this Discussion
76 Replies
48 Participants
nomad
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing