Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Dodge Challenger SXT Plus
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've recently purchased roughly $9,200 in power parts for my SXT Plus during this July.
RIPP Supercharger$6,200.00
RIPP High-Performance Ignition Coils$302.99
NGK Spark Plugs$89.95
RIPP Air-Oil Separator Catch Can$199.00
AFE 3 to 2.5 in Twisted Steel Connection Pipes; Race Series$557.00
Solo Performance MACH-X Catback Exhaust$955.50
MMX Ported Upper & Lower Intake Manifold w/ Gaskets$655.95
Gigs Performance Hi-Flo Throttle Body$249.99

I hopefully should have all of this installed by the end of August, just waiting for it all to show up.

Now I know I should be at least in the range of 400-450 whp based on RIPP's claims, with the addition of all the supporting mods, I'm not really sure where I'd stand there. Especially considering my elevation being 5,312' above sea level, I know that'll hurt how much I gain for sure.

I'm really excited to see what the AFE 3 to 2.5 in Twisted Steel Connection Pipes do, these are about the only "headers" that can be found for this engine. Paired with the SOLO Performance Catback it should make a pretty sweet tune to it. They have a high-flow cat version that's roughly $500-600 more than these "race series" pipes. If anyone is curious to buy them here's the link: 3" to 2-1/2" Twisted Steel Connection Pipes; Race Series

Now I know all of this is plenty, but what if I dove deeper?

Prodigy Performance sells a forged internal bundle for $4,199 for the 3.6L, including ARP headstuds, a block guard set, Diamond Pistons (.20 Overbore or Stock bore), and Carillo Rods. Their claim with the set: "We currently use this bundle to withhold 18lbs of turbo boost on a Jeep Wrangler to produce over 500WHP." Now based on other forum posts, the Pentastar is said to be able to handle a max of about 11-12 psi of boost. 14-15 psi is the death number for this engine as it suffers "catastrophic head and cooling failure."

If the RIPP Supercharger makes 400-450 whp at 11-12 psi...who knows what she'll shove with 18 psi?

Link to the bundle: 3.6L Pentastar Forged Internal Bundle | Prodigy Performance

But there may even be a little more for this underdog engine.

RPM Outlet has a listing for a SNO 210 Snow Performance Stage 2.5 Boost Cooler under the "2009-2014 Dodge Challenger V6 Pentastar 3.6L Parts" page. The kit sells for $559.99, touting a 50-70 hp increase for centrifugal supercharger applications such as Vortech (the supercharger unit RIPP uses). There's more to the benefits of such kit, one being air temps decreasing by 100 degrees and even a 25 point octane rating jump. I would think this paired with the supercharger alone would make a pretty efficient unit, even more so with forged internals.

Link to RPM's Pentastar Catalog: 2009-2017 Dodge Challenger V6 Performance Parts and Accessories
Link to the Snow Kit: SNO 210 Snow Performance Stage 2.5 Boost Cooler Forced Induction Progressive Water-Methanol Injection Kit

With all the potential power mods I can find, now the only dilemma is handling/laying down that power safely in the drivetrain and cooling system. With my car being a 2012, it comes with the 5-speed NAG-1, which can handle only about 427 ft/lbs of torque from what I've heard (granted I don't know how much torque this whole setup would hypothetically put down). However, I read on another forum that if you swap the Mercedes equivalent NAG-1 solenoids and valve body for the Chrysler solenoids and valve body, you can handle 600-700 ft/lbs of torque now. You could also get a new stage 2 valve body by Paramount Performance from Modern Muscle Xtreme that'll open up for more power it can handle as well. I don't know how much our said driveshafts, differentials, and axles can handle for the SXT Plus, so that's a bit of a mystery there.

In terms of cooling, there are a few basic things you could add to improve the system:

Entropy Aluminum Radiator w/ HPX Fans$960.00
RIPP 180° Thermostat$44.56
HPS Silicone Radiator Coolant & Heater Hoses$171.00
Mishimoto Aluminum Coolant Expansion Tank (Wrinkle Black)$335.95

The biggest one being the Entropy Aluminum Radiator with HPX Fans. (From what it looks like, we all can use it)

I figure with that cooling setup, I could combat the cooling issue that the Pentastar suffers under extreme boost.

If you want the link to this radiator: Dodge Charger/Challenger 2010 – 2019 Aluminum Radiator With HPX Fans – Entropy Radiator

A lot of people would question the cost of such modifications, especially for going into the V6. As many would say that I could've gone and got an R/T or a Scat Pack, etc. And they're right, I could have gone and saved that $9,200 and put a down payment on a various HEMI-powered vehicle. But for me, the real kicker is, I have yet to see someone go this far into this platform. I mean, if that supposed mystery report that Chrysler knocked 900 hp out of the Pentastar is true, why not try to get there?

Feel free to add to the thread, I'm interested to see what others think and feel about all of this.

No need for negativity here, we're all just trying to have a good time :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, the forged internals and water-methanol injection are more of a hypothetical, it's not my plan to buy those at the moment. Unless my motor gives out for some reason :/

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
19,513 Posts
Interested to see what you end up gaining, especially on your dime ;) The catless header/mid pipes are interesting, get rid of the driver side flex connector pinch point

Good luck with everything, should be great power if the drivetrain survives. It will be interesting to see if you have wheel hop issues with that much power.

Does anyone do the Extrude Hone any more? Might be able to get some flow gains on the head exhaust port.

Funny, although I'm perfectly happy with my V6, I have put together a similar "package" with the forged kit, etc. That and injectors, extrude hone, 4 custom grind camshafts, and an excellent tune would have to give you more than 500RWHP for sure, then you are down the divetrain rabbit hole, brakes, suspension, and on and on.

That's why the bolt on Ripp is attractive, just bolt on, no other changes and get 400-425RWHP. Everything lives.

Let us know how it goes

A Guy

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Interested to see what you end up gaining, especially on your dime ;) The catless header/mid pipes are interesting, get rid of the driver side flex connector pinch point
View attachment 999326

Good luck with everything, should be great power if the drivetrain survives. It will be interesting to see if you have wheel hop issues with that much power.

Does anyone do the Extrude Hone any more? Might be able to get some flow gains on the head exhaust port.

Funny, although I'm perfectly happy with my V6, I have put together a similar "package" with the forged kit, etc. That and injectors, extrude hone, 4 custom grind camshafts, and an excellent tune would have to give you more than 500RWHP for sure, then you are down the divetrain rabbit hole, brakes, suspension, and on and on.

That's why the bolt on Ripp is attractive, just bolt on, no other changes and get 400-425RWHP. Everything lives.

Let us know how it goes

A Guy
I've thought about the possibility of extrude honing the heads out of curiosity of what I may gain there, I know it's been a discussed topic in the V6 community. More specifically honing the integrated exhaust manifolds built into the heads. I wonder if porting the cylinder heads to smooth the air going in would be anything meaningful along with that?

I don't know the much potential there is in the camshafts, from what I've read they're about maxed out. For this specific application, they would probably need to be custom grinded for boost for the best gains here.

I think being able to even reach 500 rwhp would be a major achievement. 600+ rwhp though would be one hell of a milestone for us. Which from talking to other V6 owners about the stuff I found, it isn't a complete impossibility.

Especially with a Pedal Commander, she'd be rowdy.

I'll be sure to post dyno results after it gets tuned with this new engine setup. The forged internals, water-methanol injection, extrude honing, custom cams, and all the other fancy additions probably won't come into play till later, more than likely not until if the engine blows up. I've seen 2-3 that have blown so far, if it does blow up, then the next engine will get some MAJOR overhaul to make it a fortified power maker.

·
Registered
9,560 Posts
Don't forget to upgrade your brakes too.

·
Registered
2020 SPS, M6, Go Mango
295 Posts
My first thought was damn that is a lot to spend on that car... Then I remember I've had my car for three months, swore I'd leave it stock, yet here I am trying to find ways to warrant a stroker kit...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts