Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a lady that i serve on a board with come up to me last night at our monthly meeting and say her daughter wanted to know if her and her boyfriend could take my '09 SRT to their prom in a couple weeks.
I know her daughter if i see her, but don't have a clue on the guy.
Granted they would be only driving it about 2 miles and really want it for the processional pull-up in front of all the parents....but i don't know this 18 year old potential punk....and really am not that good of friends with this lady either.

Honored they would ask, but not real keen on giving them the keys....am i being an *ss?

·
Registered
999 Posts
ha ha let them go hire a nice car for the night. keep the keys in your pocket.

if you want to help, then you can dress up, be their driver and open the doors for them. don't let him borrow your car!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Perfect bargaining position if she has anything you want. Talk to your insurance co also before saying yes.

·
Registered
146 Posts
if you want to help, then you can dress up, be their driver and open the doors for them. don't let him borrow your car!
this really is the answer i'd think. they get a chauffeur, your SRT gets a lot of grins, and now this lady owes you big.

·
Super Moderator
14,139 Posts
Don't do it!! It was not right for the female board member to ask you. Better to create hard feelings than have your SRT (and its future value) damaged.

What kind of driver is the boyfriend? I doubt that he has the maturity to handle a 425 hp car.

Several years ago, my son took my new 4.6 Ford Thunderbird to his prom and a weekend party. He later proudly admitted to me that he raced a friend of his in a ricer and blew him away. Kids just can't help themselves.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Tough call. On one hand it's only a car and will give someone else a great memory for the rest of their lives.

On the other hand, you want do to what?!? :notallthere:

·
Registered
558 Posts
I had a lady that i serve on a board with come up to me last night at our monthly meeting and say her daughter wanted to know if her and her boyfriend could take my '09 SRT to their prom in a couple weeks.
I could accept that question from my kids, or from a very close friend, and even then the likely response would be no. I don't think the challenger lends itself to being chauffered, although for my kids i'd do that if they wanted.

:huh: Some people have NO sense of boundries, nor any idea what they are asking. No WAY, No HOW, not a chance.

·
Registered
864 Posts
hell to the NO... nuff said. Unless that lady wants to hand over a $45K security deposit

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I know her daughter if i see her, but don't have a clue on the guy.
Granted they would be only driving it about 2 miles and really want it for the processional pull-up in front of all the parents....but i don't know this 18 year old potential punk....and really am not that good of friends with this lady either.

Honored they would ask, but not real keen on giving them the keys....am i being an *ss?
I would hope she made that comment tongue in cheek. If she was serious, then she was out of line for asking.

My POV.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Giving a SRT8 Challenger to a 18 years old boy, thats just complete madness. Def a No No!

·
Registered
320 Posts
That was a terribly inappropriate request and, sadly, I think she was serious. I would unapologetically say "no" without hesitation.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Not a chance in a life time. If they asked to take them there in it then I would say OK as I was asked just the other day, but to let someone have the keys, is she crazy or snoking some bad stuff. People are just nuts.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for the comments....and yes she was definitely serious.
i know nothing about the 18 year old boyfriend, but the more i ask i am finding out the girl is quite the spoiled princess....so going to respectuflly say NO.

i did let my wife's nephew drive it from the church to the reception (a mile away) for his wedding a couple weeks ago, but i know that guy and he knows me and understands the CAN i would open if he messed around!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Absolutely NOT. Asking this is out of line. You are not being a jerk. Some car rental agencies have specialized autos, let them rent one and then the worry for everyone is over. With the way emotional attachment is demonstrated on this website, and others, this is like a guy asking to date your wife.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Absolutely NOT. Asking this is out of line. You are not being a jerk. Some car rental agencies have specialized autos, let them rent one and then the worry for everyone is over. With the way emotional attachment is demonstrated on this website, and others, this is like a guy asking to date your wife.
I agree...this request is way out of line. I would understand it from a close family member like your kid, a nephew, brother or sis, etc.... but not from some board member.

Apparently the girl is quite the spoiled princess if she can talk her mom into asking you if she can borrow your Challenger.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
What kind of a board does this idiot sit on? No offense to you (since you're on the same board) but come on? Just give 2 teenagers a 400HP $50K car? Is there any question that this testosterone juiced boy isn't going to run your car like a scalded dog?

Frankly, I find it hard to believe any sane person would expect this.

Just tell this moron there are too many liability issues with loaning out a car like yours.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Gas, grass, or ass... and the tank is full, lady.

Where the hell do some people get their ego? Unless you have the words "Rental Car Agency" tattooed to your forehead, I can't understand where this woman would get the idea that your prized possession is something that can be lent out to some kids.

Some words of advice: tell her no, emphatically, and then never turn your back on her. Something is not right with that woman.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I can tell you that I wouldn't let them use my car. Go rent a car or hire a limo, I'm not for hire and I'm definitely not free. We've had my wife's sister ask a few times and I may be an azz, but I always say "No, go buy your own car".

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had the same request from a family friend. I agreed to let them arrive in my Mopar 10. I let them drive it across the road, I met them at the drop of spot and got it back. Had a herd of fathers follow me into the parking lot to look at the car. :) A few pics of it in my photos on here.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts