Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I could accept that question from my kids, or from a very close friend, and even then the likely response would be no. I don't think the challenger lends itself to being chauffered, although for my kids i'd do that if they wanted.

:huh: Some people have NO sense of boundries, nor any idea what they are asking. No WAY, No HOW, not a chance.
I would hope she made that comment tongue in cheek. If she was serious, then she was out of line for asking.

My POV.
I agree, it's completely out of line for asking.:disgust: WTF are some people thinking by asking a question like this of someone they barely know.:scratchhead: Takes ba!!s, thats for sure. I suppose the fact that her daughter is a "spoiled princess" is the giveaway here.:notallthere:
You may be considered an azz by some (non car enthusiasts) for saying "NO", but at least you'll be an azz with a nice car that wasn't wrecked by some horny 18 year old:guiness:

·
Registered
416 Posts
I'm gonna go out on a limb here. There are alot of "What if's"... the kid could be a turd, the car could get damaged, Nazi Germany could rise again, God could have had enough of our BS and end the earth... etc. etc. etc. Let's look at it differently...

Lets suppose this woman and her daughter are good, honest, genuine folks... most people are halfway decent anyway in reality.

With the following conditions in place, I'd probably let the kids do this...
1. Mother signs a document saying SHE pays/is responsible for any damage/misuse, etc.
2. YOU follow the kids to the prom in another car and let them know you are doing this.
3. Set ground rules about the 2 mile drive with the kids/mom.
4. Meet the kids and talk with them about the arrangement.
5. Your insurance is cool with it/you aren't liable.

My take on it is this: this is the kids' prom. Think back when you were that age... what was cool/important, etc. Given the above circumstances are met, I'd probably do it (if I wasn't liable, per agreement). Your car would be literally IMMORTALIZED in pictures and memories for those two kids for the rest of their lives... and if they're good kids, which we will suppose they are, you made two good kids happy as clams on one of the most important nights of their young lives.

Worst case scenario, you have insurance for a reason.

Just throwing out another option is all.

I read your initial statement in that you know the mom (from the board) well enough to recognize her daughter... if you meet my family, we're likely more than mere acquaintences... is that how we should aszess your relationship?!

Also, we shouldn't blame the kid for the Mom's request, crazy or not...

Lastly, if the kid is a spoiled brat/turd, then the answer would be no.

·
Registered
94 Posts
OUTA LINE! would you let you neighbor take it to the corner store? how about the paper boy?or the pizza delivery driver?? you wouldn't know any of them from adam ( cept your neighbor of course)how different is it from this boyfriend??? i would cold shoulder it and not respond to it. if she brings it up again i would respond quite bluntly not a freakin chance!!
no offence, but grow a set and tell her NO!! you beat around the bush and be all wishy washy with this, she will test you on more important matters dealing with this "board" you mentioned. and i would also document the entire ordeal just in case.
there are tons of exotic car rental places in the yellow pages, anyone can rent a viper or ferrarri with a 2500.00 deposit and proper insurance.

EDIT: most corporate boards have a code of ethics that don't allow "favors" between those that sit on the board. this is to curb biased or one sided decisions amongst the members. see if that clause is there and use it as an out.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Uhhh..here's a reason

If you do let them take it, you may be pleasing your monthly friend, but her daughter would probably be worried about her monthly "friend" afterward...hehehe..just sayin'.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Uhhhhh yeah... that would be a BIG NEGATORY for the prom gig!!!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
The answer should be no. Prom + teenagers= ALCOHOL! You don't need the aggravation and the hassle's that will fall on your head if they manage to get into an accident. Your rates go through the roof and you get stuck with paying for a teenage driver, and if his license is not pristine you will get a lovely letter from your insurance company with these letters CANCELED! Once that happens try and get another carrier. Your wallet will thank you for saying no.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I can understand if a daughter asked to borrow the car for a prom, but there is no way i'd let a non family member borrow it for an event like that. I've already explained that if my daughter ever drives it, she isn't allowed to let anyone else in the drivers seat. If they want to impress people with their car of choice let them rent their own limo like every other kid.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Just say no. It works for a lot of things.

If you truly don't know the person, she definitely has balls to ask. Does she even realize how much power it has? I doubt it.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
In the biker community we have a saying;

"I don't ask to ride your wife, Don't ask to ride my bike."

Seeing how your female, change it however you like.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Pretty straightforward response here.

Not on your freakin' life prom boy...

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
If you knew the boy and girl well, then it would be a maybe but only if you could follow along from the house to the dance. However, you do not even know these people who would driving/using your car. That lady sounds like she was a little out of line for asking. Now that puts you in a corner. If you say yes, then how many other people will start asking to use the car for a wedding, homecoming etc? If you say no, that lady will hold a grudge I guarantee it since her daughter has probably been bugging her to ask you for a while. I suppose you could conduct a pre prom interview and lay the ground rules down if you really are thinking about it. You should have the keys with you in a car following close behind. The Challenger's proximity key might still work as long as you stay close behind. :)

·
Registered
402 Posts
Easy solution. Take the Mom for a quick spin... a REAL spin... then ask her if she's sure she's willing to take full responsibility for the pair (& the car) on prom night. Have witnesses, talk to a couple of lawyers, draw up some disclaimer papers, thorough pre & post inspections, etc, sure! Why not? Let 'em have it!

(HA!)

·
Registered
466 Posts
Tell them to see about renting one. Most of the kids who see them drive up won't know an SE from an SRT anyway.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I don't think so, I freaked when my wife asked to take it on a road trip to Wisconsin to play Bingo with her girlfriend. Let some 18 year old I don't know drive it. NOT A CHANCE.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I would have seriously LMAO if someone asked me that.

The stupidity of some people is truly amazing.

·
Registered
536 Posts
hell to the NO... nuff said. Unless that lady wants to hand over a $45K security deposit
I agree 100%.... They need to rent a limo, or ask the kids dad if they can take his Chevy Malibu. I also think the lady has some nerves to ask you this, seems kinda strange to me. :scratchhead:

21 - 40 of 79 Posts