Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would let my son take our R/T to the prom but he is such a motorhead he has no intrest in the prom more interested in new rims for his own car. To bad for his girlfriend but I know if he ever hurt that car he would cry more then me (for several reasons lol). However I would never in a million years let any of his friends touch that car cause I didn't raise them and I don't trust any of them. Tell them to take thier mothers prius LOL.

·
Premium Member
1,567 Posts
You want what ?

I would have to say No..But they do rent those cars, Tell her to contact Hertz or Enterprise.

Welcome to 'Rock Star Status" :bigthumb:

Have fun at the prom...just not in my car !

·
Banned
197 Posts
No offense, but I wouldn't spend even a split second seriously considering this. That was a crazy and inappropriate request and a dangerous idea and precedent.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My wife and I do not have children yet but she said "im not sure we will let our own children take our car like this!" ............My dad did let me take his 63 Corvette to my prom but he molded me into a "car guy" from birth.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I opened this thread assuming it was going to be about someone's son/daughter asking to take their parents car to prom. To which my response would be "well you know your son/daughter best, what is maturity level like etc"

HOWEVER thats not what this thread is lol. You have every reason in the world to tell that lady which tree she can go squat on. Someone else mentioned the word boundaries and thats exactly what this is....someone crossing "a boundary".

·
Registered
236 Posts
What was the exact demand? I guess she really just wanted you to drive both of them to the prom, it's probably just a missunderstanding.

But if she really meant to let the kid drive your car to the prom, HELL NO! Even if the car is in the prom's parking lot already and he just have to drive it to the door.

I did some ''prom driving'' with my 1969 Charger and never has somebody expected to drive my car, they just wanted something else than a limo.

·
Registered
364 Posts
i wouldn't feel honored but rather "insulted" that she would think that she would ask or they would ask to borrow your car... tell the boyfriend to rent a frckn car...

·
Registered
119 Posts
She was way out of line to even ask the question.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Back to the insurance. We had purchased my step son a small 85 Toyota 4X4 back when he was in high school. Nice little truck - 4 banger - stick. One morning he was in a head on collision with a lady in a Mitsubishi Diamante. He was cited. My insurance -yes MY insurance paid the max of my policy. Then I get a letter saying I was being SUED for allowing my son to drive MY vehicle. I was NEGLIGENT and allowed his access to the vehicle. Enough said here.

Now, just yesterday, I was looking at my co-workers brand new '11 Blackberry Pearl SE outside. An Investigator where I work (tall blonde lady - very nice looking) came out and said I saw you looking at that car outside. I said I have one too. The she asked where it was. I rode the bus in so it was at home. She asked if she could drive one day when I bring it in. Now mind you, she was a cop in Arizona and in Colorado so she knows how to drive. I beat around the question for a awhile but the answer was NO. My wife won't even drive my car when I have asked her if she wanted to.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Four ways you can handle this:

1. Meet the kids and decide yea or nea.
2. Drive them yourself if they are don't mind.
3. Get a chauffeur to take them.
4. Just say no!

There is no easy answer here other than to say if you really don't mind, go for it and let them have a great experience. If you're really concerned, tell them so and say no. If you are in the middle, compromise. Have them rent a Challenger...

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
[QUOTE
Honored they would ask, but not real keen on giving them the keys.[/QUOTE]

Think you should go with your first instinct ............... feel honored, but keep the keys in your pocket.

·
Registered
49 Posts
would be a great memory..... !! for a young kid to have... but must be carefull....!! never know when KILROY will appear.....

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
Hell No!!! These kids today are nuts spending thousands of dollars on their Proms! Worse yet; their parents encourage this insanity. My brother and I proudly went in our own car. As far as wasting money = I did splurge and spent five bucks to have my youngest brother and his buddies detail it for us.

Attachments

·
Registered
714 Posts
Hell No!!! These kids today are nuts spending thousands of dollars on their Proms! Worse yet; their parents encourage this insanity. My brother and I proudly went in our own car. As far as wasting money = I did splurge and spent five bucks to have my youngest brother and his buddies detail it for us.
pfft we were chauffeured by a friend's dad... thankfully as we were wicked drunk :lol:

[QUOTE
Honored they would ask, but not real keen on giving them the keys.
Think you should go with your first instinct ............... feel honored, but keep the keys in your pocket.[/QUOTE]

Me too. If you know the kid and trust him then fine, but if it is just some random person's kid that you barely know, it is nuts, maybe you won't see the car back :|

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Sounds like one of my ex's mom. She tried to do that for me and my girl friend at the time. Except she wanted me to drive a Corvette. I HATE Corvettes. So I told her no. She kept insisting so I told her that if I have to take the Corvette I will crash it and not pay for it, or I could just break up with your daughter. I ended up taking my Dodge Ram with her daughter.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
No way in Hell.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Sounds like one of my ex's mom. She tried to do that for me and my girl friend at the time. Except she wanted me to drive a Corvette. I HATE Corvettes. So I told her no. She kept insisting so I told her that if I have to take the Corvette I will crash it and not pay for it, or I could just break up with your daughter. I ended up taking my Dodge Ram with her daughter.
You're insane :lol:

41 - 60 of 79 Posts