Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
RSA 245's were stock the Staggered F1's were an option.
Yeah, what you said! My car came with 245's all around.

35 in front gives me more responsive handling without additional wear. I tried 35 in back, but that wore the tires (in the middle) too much. 35 in front, 32 rear seems to be the best combination for me. I'm a daily driver, so I need to pay attention to regular maintenance issues.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I ran F1s on my SRT at 32 all around.

Even though I use the car as a GT (all highway miles and trunk loaded all the time), I got excess center wear on the rears.

I dropped rear pressure to 30 and now get more even wear all around (27k miles on the set so far).

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
The only tire I could get with my 6 speed was the staggered F1's. I do have the track pack (ALDP).

If I wanted the 6 speed, there was no other option for tires. Even every SRT I've seen on the lots, not once have I've seen RSA's mounted.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Nitto 420S, 245/45/20 on front and 285/40/20 on rear. 40 psi up front and 33 in the rear. Set the pressure where the tire surface completely touches the road when tires are hot. You can tell easily if you drive on a dusty road and then a clean road, then stop and look at the tire surface and adjust accordingly up or down in pressure to get the tire contact area to the edge of the tire.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yeah, what you said! My car came with 245's all around.

35 in front gives me more responsive handling without additional wear. I tried 35 in back, but that wore the tires (in the middle) too much. 35 in front, 32 rear seems to be the best combination for me. I'm a daily driver, so I need to pay attention to regular maintenance issues.
FYI. The pressures I'm quoting are stone cold (morning) pressures.

·
Super Moderator
13,400 Posts
Door panel says 32...I run em at 32. I am happy, fuel mileage is fine, ride is great, and tires wearing evenly.
I also run 32 psi in my tires on my 2009 SRT and they are wearing perfectly.

If you over inflate tires,the center tread will become rounded and wear out faster than the edges close to the shoulders of the tires tread (uneven wear). You will have less ground contact (i.e., less friction), they will bounce more, use brakes more, and potentially get worse gas mileage.

·
Registered
529 Posts
2014 R/T M6 STP with 245/20 GY F1s. I set them at 32 "cold" ("cold" being my garage temp). They get as high as 37 when the ambient temp hits 95+ degrees during the day....., which makes the car ride like a tank. I even feel the painted highway stripes when I switch lanes !! :surprise:

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Just finished reading this thread. Was hoping for a bit more than random opinions.

This isn't much better, but at least it's solid evidence:

Saving gas by raising pressure: really?

If you're trying to save gas by raising your tire pressures above the recommended, you're going to be sadly disappointed. Good luck making 5 percent. This is well documented and any experienced pro can confirm this. You'd do just about as well by cutting 5-10 mph off your speeds. You KNOW this saves gas.
If I were you, I'd be...

more concerned about tire wear than gas mileage.

Which costs more? A little extra gas or replacing 4 tires? You're doing something that may cost a dollar in order to save a nickel, if that makes sense. Check your alignment lately? That can cost you 5 percent on your gas mileage too, not to mention what it does to your tires. Raising pressures may indeed help gas mileage, but it WILL affect tire wear.

Question is, will it help or hurt?

Too much pressure will cause the tire to wear more in the center (and less on the inner and outer edges) than it would have if left at recommended pressure. However, is that what you want/need? You want your tires to wear EVENLY. Period.

Documented evidence

A couple years ago, I took one of my cars in to have all the tires replaced at my local Goodyear store because they were wearing more at the inner and outer edges than in the center. All four tires, along with new struts and a fresh alignment - were done at Goodyear 6 months ago; WHY the funny wear????
After calling Goodyear, who'd just forked out about 400 reluctant dollars to replace those same tires, the service manager was instructed to raise the pressure to 40 psi instead of 32. Came back 3 times over the next 15k miles or so for tire rotation and careful examination. The results?

PROBLEM SOLVED. Tires wearing evenly.

I'm a believer. And I have the evidence to prove it. Door plate recommended 32 psi, tires were rated for a max of 50 or so, and Goodyear recommended 40 psi to stop the odd tire wear. With my hand in their pocket (their guarantee that this strategy would work or free replacement again), there's no question that their advice was a wise and proven strategy. That advice was worth 1000 uninformed opinions including my own.

Gary

·
Registered
504 Posts
Nitto 420S, 245/45/20 on front and 285/40/20 on rear. 40 psi up front and 33 in the rear. Set the pressure where the tire surface completely touches the road when tires are hot. You can tell easily if you drive on a dusty road and then a clean road, then stop and look at the tire surface and adjust accordingly up or down in pressure to get the tire contact area to the edge of the tire.
Thats a great trick I learned from someone is pull into a clean garage floor and look at the dust on your tire tread.

·
Registered
132 Posts
All,

Found this thread and will resurrect it by asking about my new Hellcat wide body. I got a "health report" on the car in my email. I must've signed up for this via the Sirius Satellite communication and a Dodge app, which is fine (although...what else is being beamed up and recorded?). It said all four of the 305 Pirelli tires that are All Season have inflation pressures of 50-51 psi, and there was no flagging this as abnormal.

So I went to the car and looked at the diagnostics and it also reflected these same values - no surprise because that is what was uplinked. But there are green check marks next to each tire indicating all is well.

I called my dealership and the one person I spoke with said, with conviction, two things. Yes, those tires are supposed to be at 50 psi - and - the placard on the door jam will show the right pressure so look at it.

I did, and it says 32 psi.

With a pressure gage, after driving for about 13 miles in 70 temps, a friend measured and all 4 tires were 45-46 psi.

In Street Mode the car is a delight to drive, and the ride is solid - but I'm guessing it might be stiffer than intended. I just dunno...

Thoughts? Anyone else have a 2019 wide body with the same Pirelli 305's who got the car from the dealer with 50 psi in the tires?

Best,

Finface

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
The 51 psi is for storage purposes, to help prevent the tires from flat-spotting if the car sits for a long time on the lot. Most salespeople or lot attendants forget to lower it down to normal when the car is sold, or don't know about it.

Lower it down to 32 psi. The reason that it showed "OK" on the health report is because they weren't underinflated. As crazy as it sounds, that's all they look for.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I called my dealership and the one person I spoke with said, with conviction, two things. Yes, those tires are supposed to be at 50 psi - and - the placard on the door jam will show the right pressure so look at it.
The lesson to be learned, I think, is that the door placard and/or owners manual are smarter than your dealer.
At least now you know not let that dealer handle truly complicated tasks such as an oil change.

·
Registered
25 Posts
All,

Found this thread and will resurrect it by asking about my new Hellcat wide body. I got a "health report" on the car in my email. I must've signed up for this via the Sirius Satellite communication and a Dodge app, which is fine (although...what else is being beamed up and recorded?). It said all four of the 305 Pirelli tires that are All Season have inflation pressures of 50-51 psi, and there was no flagging this as abnormal.

So I went to the car and looked at the diagnostics and it also reflected these same values - no surprise because that is what was uplinked. But there are green check marks next to each tire indicating all is well.

I did, and it says 32 psi.

With a pressure gage, after driving for about 13 miles in 70 temps, a friend measured and all 4 tires were 45-46 psi.

In Street Mode the car is a delight to drive, and the ride is solid - but I'm guessing it might be stiffer than intended. I just dunno...

Thoughts? Anyone else have a 2019 wide body with the same Pirelli 305's who got the car from the dealer with 50 psi in the tires?

Best,

Finface
I got mine with 32/33 psi and it jumps all the way to 37 after driving for 30min+ - so i guess its normal.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Black Hemi,

I'll let the dealership guy I spoke with quietly know 50 psi is not the recommended pressure to drive the car. Every day is a training day, isn't it?

Best,

Finface

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Black Hemi,

I'll let the dealership guy I spoke with quietly know 50 psi is not the recommended pressure to drive the car. Every day is a training day, isn't it?

Best,

Finface

Unless it was the salesman's first day on the job he knows what the inflation pressure should be. Even if he doesn't he can find out quick enough. I ran into this tire pressure BS when I bought my Scat Pack. The salesman -- not a new one either -- just bald faced lied to me when after noticing the tire pressures on the dash asked him about the 50psi inflation pressure.

After I left I had time to think about this and realized no way 50psi was the right pressure for the tires and checked and found what the right tire pressure should be and adjusted it.

My regret is I didn't give the salesman/dealer low scores -- fails -- on the after sale survey form.

Then I got the same BS when I bought the Hellcat 2 months later. This at another dealer.

To me it just highlights how little Dodge dealers think of their customers. Every time I think about this I regret buying a Dodge. I loathe giving any money to a business that at least in this case is so incompetent, apparently holds its customers in such low esteem, it would lie to the customer about tire pressures rather than call out a tech to adjust the tire pressure of failing a tech being available whip out a tire pressure gauge and adjust the tire pressures.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts