Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
The only advice I can give you is the longer the stroke will help make more torque, in the other hand a longer stroke will give you more rid angle which is bad and causes more wear and tear on your cylinder walks and piston skirts. Is it a problem with our motors? This I don't know.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is a hard one to call based on the nominal amount of stroke difference. But the above mention of side loading and piston wear, cylinder wear is a creditable mention. Though I think you know this already.
I would say a bit may depend on exactly how you want the engine to perform and where you want it to peak RPM wise, which is cam related, but, hindered or enabled by stroke. Lack of or to much off it. There has got to be a on line calc some where, like maybe, "Wallace racing." might have something for you?

Drag racing or hot street performer?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Realistically you would want to look at the Rod/stroke ratio and the mean piston speed at what you believe the peak HP/Torque RPM will be.

·
Registered
9,227 Posts
I had a discussion years ago with a few engine builders/sponsors on this forum about stroke vs cylinder wear. The longer stroke will decrease engine longevity, but more torque and CI's are the plus side of it. Cylinder wear was the issue with longer stroke cranks

I was discussing a street engine with maximum torque in mind, and the expected engine life was considerably reduced, compared to "stock" strokes.

This may or may not be a factor to you if you are just racing.

FWIW, we were discussing 426/440 CI's from a 6.1 block

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
There really wont be any difference .03 is nothing, don't over think it. I had a 4.25 stroke and after 15,000 miles it still looked like new. yes the rod angle, rod ratio, and piston speed are all important to a certain extent small and big block Chevy's have been running a lot worse rod ratios than mopars and living just fine, just take at what a 440 RB motor is, compared to late model hemi's , go with the either and enjoy.

·
Premium Member
3,337 Posts
I am at 7 years and 14K with a square stroker 4.08X4.08 and it is holding up just fine. I had to replace a piston, rod and heads a few years back and in checking everything out while I had the bottom open (about 8K at the time) everything was perfect. I beat this thing like the proverbial red-headed stepchild. Street, 1/4, 1/8, pro tour, etc. I built her for all sorts of fun and she is like a Timex.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts