Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! I'm considering getting an R/t challenger probably by the end of the month and have been lurking in here quite a bit!
I'm just at a bit of a crossroads right now, I work in manhattan and actually have family close to my job, but am planning on moving to scranton PA with my girlfriend in the next couple of months and commuting. Now gas isn't a problem and it will be my DD, but with the rough winters out there it had me thinking whether to get the r/t chally or an r/t awd charger.
My heart is set on the challenger I must say, I've read about the Blizzak tires working wonders and I would have the option of staying with family if things get really out of control weather wise. Guess main question here is what do you guys think? This winter was just the absolute worst and has me worried about the next one haha
Also any tips for a new (very probable) owner?

·
Registered
216 Posts
AWD charger is better in the winter for sure, challenger is better in the summer. I would by a challenger as my main summer wheels, and a 1000 dollar beater for winter. Lots of old 4X4 durango's out there, cheap.

·
Premium Member
3,056 Posts
I drove cars a lot worse than the Challenger year round for many years and survived. A good set of winter tires and wheels are mandatory. In retrospect if I had to commute every day without the option of skipping a day here and there in really bad weather, I would stick with an AWD or preferably a 4WD.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I use to live in upstate NY and commuted 50 miles each way to work. You need AWD or 4WD to do it safely, imo. I would look into the HEMI powered Grand Cherokee. Get a Challenger for the summer months.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doesn't sound like a bad idea, thanks for the quick responses guys. Probably going to have to look into a beater for the winter.
Also I'm buying a 2010-2011 model (20k mileage or so) any things I should pay special attention to in giving the car a look around? (Sorry for the novice question, new to muscle! )

·
Registered
216 Posts
Timing chain issues on automatic RT's there is a recall, check for panel dimples or soft dents, the metal doesn't like hard knocks. Don't press down hard when waxing the roof. Check the plastic rocker panels they crack where they meet the wheel wells. Check tire wear the factory wheel alignment wasn't to good. factory tires wear out quickly. If getting a 6 speed manual row through the gears under load check for binding.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I didn't let my Challenger out of the garage all winter. She was grounded for being such an awful winter driver. I might consider the Blizzak tires this winter, but then again, I'm perfectly fine with not driving her for a few months. Find an old beater that'll get the job done during the winter.

·
Registered
2017 challenger hellcat A8
2,019 Posts
Good winter tires and you should be fine. An AWD car would be even better but I don't think really need it. The real problem is not the car but the other drivers on the road.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Can't say enough good about my Subaru Forester, it would be an absolutely outstanding vehicle for your needs. Challenger is just a poor choice.

Solution, get a Subaru to DD, and a Challenger for the nice days.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Even better: keep driving that U-Haul until you reach the sunbelt, and you will be able to drive that Challenger even with bald tires if you want...LOL

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I'm from Rriver Edge, NJ and after having my challenger there for one winter, I would try blizzacks if I had stayed but i think i would have gone with an AWD charger had i known i would be staying there.

It's a huge decision for sure. Commuting front scranton, its an even longer commute in the snow. I love my challenger but i think at the end of the day, it would have been a poor choice living in that area and i would've kicked myself later. The other part of me says, so what. You deal, you get a good set of winter tires and be done with it.

Optimally, you'd have a work beater to switch off with on those not so nice days.

i like the looks of the challenger but the car has its issues overall. The dash sinks in around the passenger airbag, if it does, don't bother warranty replacing it. I just did that and the new dash has the same issue.

The rear diff whines, there's nothing to fix it. Dodges fix is to make it quieter by putting a damping kit which works partially and masks it, doesn't fix it. The timing chain thing will be in the past as chrysler has acknowledged it and isn't a problem for newer models.

These things are really the only issues i've encountered from the factory. Also, get the super trak pak, it handles much better IMO.

Overall, i like the car and i deal with its shortcomings. I stamp it "AMERICAN MADE" at the end of the day and definitely not Japanese made. I think the americans have done a great job in recent years but they are still far behind the japs and germans.

Also noteworthy, the hemi sounds like an animal and is a great performer. Americans do know how to build trucks and the way that i look at it is, they put this 5.7 in the ram work trucks and rams don't die. To me, it is a positive spin on things.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts