Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, Fastmover here... I'm new to these forums and I just wanted to introduce myself. A little bit about me: I'm a late 20's professional pilot. I've always loved American muscle cars, especially ones made by Dodge. I'm no stranger to Dodge or the Hemi. I currently drive an 2009 1500 Hemi. Love the motor and love this truck. Lately though, I've had the itch to hop in something a little more sporty.

I've been torn between the R/T classic and the SRT8 core. I travel a lot for work so this is a vehicle that will be garage kept and only driven one to two weeks out of the month. I like that with the R/T classic I could have the leather seats (which I really enjoy) and the fact that the newer 5.7L Hemi can shit down 2 cylinders while I'm cruising to save fuel. But... I test drove an SRT8 while I was in St Louis and I fell in love. Just compared to the 5.7 the 6.4 feels like a monster. Not to mention the stopping power of the Brembo brakes. I would be paying for either outright (not a big believer in debt) so it looks like I have a decision to make. Any input would be much appreciated! Oh and I'm glad to have found this forum and I'm looking forward to talking with some of you and I'm especially excited to be a soon to be owner of a new Challenger! :blueblob:

·
Registered
404 Posts
I'd say go with the SRT8 core. You can always upgrade the interior, headlights and wheels later. If you like leather, I stumbled across this website on YouTube. They create custom leather seats and it looks like they do a good job.

leatherseats.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0E7c89D5bo

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Just buy one, you won't regret it!

"the newer 5.7L Hemi can shit down 2 cylinders" ? I'm SURE you meant shut down, right? :blueblob:

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
I would buy custom leather seats from Katzkin as they produce the factory leather for us anyway. I would also get a manual over a stick as the mpg is way better than the auto and the throttle response is much much better. Go for the core. The R/T is plenty of fun but get the SRT if you can afford it because you will end up trading the R/T for the SRT in the future if you could have afforded to purchase the SRT initially. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I got my SRT-8 before the "Core" was available. I kinda like the fact that its loaded, but I'm older than you. My body appreciates the comforts more than it did in the days of bench-seat, radio-delete, stripped-down, Chevy-stompin' Roadrunners and SuperBees :) . And I spent my youth customizing my beloved-but-humble 318-powered '73 Satellite from one form to another several times over the years. So I've scratched the "customize" itch pretty well, and was very pleased to get pretty much exactly what I wanted already put together from the factory.

Either way, I think it'll put a smile on your face, and if you can stand to keep your foot out of it the 392 actually turns in OK mileage. I've seen 25 on the highway (best), and more like 23.5 average highway. Just get a 6-speed, that's all I have to say about that!

·
Registered
9,315 Posts
Sounds like you answered your own question. If you want the power, and a new vehicle, the Core is "it", and you'll be happy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for the input! Some of what I said above was based on what the guy at the dealership told me and I'm starting to think he was new or just flat out didn't know what he was talking about... I was just reading that both the 5.7 and the 6.4 Hemi can shut down 4 cylinders in economy mode. Has anyone here used the economy mode while cruisig and do you notice a huge performance difference? Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
2019 Hellcat Redeye in white knuckle with silver stripes
1,115 Posts
The 5.7 and 6.4 both switch into MDS economy mode automatically under certain driving conditions. Such as on deceleration and while cruising at a constant speed, when your just barely on the throttle to maintain speed. As soon as you give it just a little throttle or go up any grade it will switch off.
I have seen 25mpg in my 6.4 when interstate cruising. The computer will display gas mileage readings.
I don't really care about gas mileage though, I just wanna hear my hemi ROAR! :yesnod:

PS: Don't depend on the saleman to give you any accurate info on these cars. You are smart to come here and ask the people who really know them.

PPS: Get the Core, and after you save some more cash then do a custom catskin leather interior!

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
First off, Welcome to ChallengerTalk!
I would definitely get the core, especially since you are not going to drive much. Might as well be the core. I wish they offered the core over here, I would've definitely got it instead of my R/T. (SRT being sold at $68k here!)

Many members upgrade once they can from an R/T to an SRT, same goes for SE/SXT owners trading up for R/T's or SRT's.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Welcome. MPG shouldn't be what's holding you back from making the purchase. If you can buy a Core with cash you can afford fuel for it. Both are great choices, good luck with your purchase!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,321 Posts
I just bought a new 6-spd R/T (3 months ago) and absolutely love the thing. I too was in a position where I could have gotten either the core or the R/T. I'm also in my 20's amd being my first brand new car as well as first sporty car (I've always had trucks) I think the thing is a monster and love driving the heck out of it.

All that said ... 3 months later I still love it but boy do I have the itch for more power. I'm wishing I would have sprung for an SRT. My only complaint about the core model is that it isn't offered in many colors...I don't like all the bells and whistles so I think that is an awesome model...

I'll be thinking about trading up next year or piossibly waiting until the redesign in 2015 if I like how they look.

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
Welcome aboard! :) You will find a wealth of knowledge on this forum.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts