Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So long story short I'm giving up my 05 wrx and getting either a challenger r/t or 5.0 mustang (had an automatic challenger r/t for a week on a business trip and LOVED it!, had the v6 mustang for an interview 3 day weekend and it wasn't terrible, didn't like the camaro SS when i had it as a rental over easter weekend)

With the challenger r/t i would get in in the 6 speed but I'm confused about some of these packages.

Am i right or wrong (assumptions in bold)

Super track pack
245/45ZR20 BSW Performance Tires wider tires aka not all seasons?
Anti-Lock 4-Wheel Disc Heavy Duty Brakes do base R/Ts stil have drums in the back ? dodge branded?
Anti-Lock brakes are equipped with electronic sensors that prevent wheel lockup, offering improved steering control under extreme braking or slippery conditions. Base R/T doesn't have abs?
Performance Steering w/Variable Displacement Pump Is this some dealer bullshit or does it make a difference
Track Tuned Suspension Whats "tuned" mean?

Blacktop package
- The above with
3.92 gears does the base 6 speed r/t have an LSD? how terrible is a wheel hop ? What am i looking at here like .2 off the 1/4 at the expense of say 4 mpgs highway? Without this the R/T 6 speed has 3.73 gears?

thanks i will ask the salesman at one or two dealers but I'm sure he will just bullshit me anyway if he doesn't know (thats what i would at least).

thanks guys.

* Also most importantly nothing super special performance wise is coming for the r/t in 2015 that i need to wait for right? i.e. it will still be the 5.7 liter?

·
Registered
232 Posts
So long story short I'm giving up my 05 wrx and getting either a challenger r/t or 5.0 mustang (had an automatic challenger r/t for a week on a business trip and LOVED it!, had the v6 mustang for an interview 3 day weekend and it wasn't terrible, didn't like the camaro SS when i had it as a rental over easter weekend)

With the challenger r/t i would get in in the 6 speed but I'm confused about some of these packages.

Am i right or wrong (assumptions in bold)

Super track pack
245/45ZR20 BSW Performance Tires wider tires aka not all seasons?

Do believe they're 3 season.

Anti-Lock 4-Wheel Disc Heavy Duty Brakes do base R/Ts stil have drums in the back ? dodge branded?

Disc brakes all around on the RTs.

Anti-Lock brakes are equipped with electronic sensors that prevent wheel lockup, offering improved steering control under extreme braking or slippery conditions. Base R/T doesn't have abs?

Base RT has abs.

Performance Steering w/Variable Displacement Pump Is this some dealer bullshit or does it make a difference

If you're getting a 6-speed manual, it comes with a variable displacement pump. The auto does not unless you get the STP. This helps under high g's cornering.

Track Tuned Suspension Whats "tuned" mean?

Different spring rates and higher end shocks and struts (bilstein). Stock has performance suspension and sits about an inch higher. Lots of threads on the nivomat shocks that come standard.

Blacktop package
- The above with
3.92 gears does the base 6 speed r/t have an LSD? how terrible is a wheel hop ? What am i looking at here like .2 off the 1/4 at the expense of say 4 mpgs highway? Without this the R/T 6 speed has 3.73 gears?

Base RT has 18" wheels and 3.73 gears. The STP comes with 30" wheels zoned 3.92 gears. The 6-speed is not LSD, however the auto is I believe. As for wheel hop it depends on how aggressive you are. Many upgrade tension arms to mitigate. But there are a few components to consider. There is good article in the spring Mopar Now magazine regarding specific components to upgrade which are readily available.

thanks i will ask the salesman at one or two dealers but I'm sure he will just bullshit me anyway if he doesn't know (thats what i would at least).

thanks guys.

* Also most importantly nothing super special performance wise is coming for the r/t in 2015 that i need to wait for right? i.e. it will still be the 5.7 liter?
Info embedded in quote above...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
112 Posts
the heavy duty brakes with stp comes with heavy duty pads,
you can get all season performance tires with stp or summer only tires
also with stp you have the ability to turn the stability control to full off
the stp cars also sit about 1 1/2 inches lower

·
Registered
15,838 Posts
All 6-speeds have the LSD standard, 3.73 with 18 and 3.92 with 20 inch wheels, you don't need STP to get 3.92's, all cars with 20's and 6-speed will have 3.92. There is no performance increase or fuel mileage reduction with the 3.92 axle per se, it is used merely to get back some of the ratio lost with the bigger wheels, the rpms with both ratios are nearly identical and actually the car will be quicker with the 3.73 and 18's as is the case with most cars; bigger tires are for looks and handling, smaller tires will accelerate and brake better.

If you get a 6-spd Blacktop, you will get 20's, 3.92 and STP as part of the package and the ability to replace the F1's with all seasons. Plenty has been written here about STP and the F1 tires, search the threads and drive them yourself to decide.

With automatic, STP also gives you ability to turn ESP stability/traction control full-off, the 6-speed cars have this feature with or without STP.

The 5.7L engine for 2015 appears to be the same carryover from 2014 so no difference looking at the specs except for the 8-speed automatic, if you are getting 6-speed, no difference.

·
Registered
212 Posts
One thing to consider is that the 392 (6.4) will be available in the R/T for the 2015 my, this is the engine that was in the SRT for the past few years and is a 110 hp upgrade from the 375hp 5.7. Of course it will be an "up charge" but at this point in time no pricing details have been released.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I just want to add that I went from an '05 Legacy GT to my RT. I couldn't be happier. All the room and low end torque I ever needed came with the Challenger. Not to mention how good it looks. You won't be disappointed. You can't compare a turbo 4 to a HEMI V8, believe me I know! The Subaru had less weight and 250 lbs of torque, my RT has 410 lbs of torque and pushes you in your seat when driven aggressively. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
For a resale value it's always better to with the options.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank you all for the fast and very helpful responses , it's awesome to see such an active community for this car ( I was wowed when I saw a half million discussions/posts in the general section of this forum)

One thing to consider is that the 392 (6.4) will be available in the R/T for the 2015 my, this is the engine that was in the SRT for the past few years and is a 110 hp upgrade from the 375hp 5.7. Of course it will be an "up charge" but at this point in time no pricing details have been released.
Is this confirmed ? And that extra .7 liters makes it 485 hp ? You sure that isn't a typo ? Or is it getting that extra displacement due to a supercharger in 2015? When do the 2015 ones ship

Would this be like a 3-5 grand upgrade or would it be like the 10+ grand srt8 price ?

3-5 grand is doable because I was also considering an evolution gsr but wanted a rwd car having always opted for them when renting cars .

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
thank you all for the fast and very helpful responses , it's awesome to see such an active community for this car ( I was wowed when I saw a half million discussions/posts in the general section of this forum)

Is this confirmed ? And that extra .7 liters makes it 485 hp ? You sure that isn't a typo ? Or is it getting that extra displacement due to a supercharger in 2015? When do the 2015 ones ship

Would this be like a 3-5 grand upgrade or would it be like the 10+ grand srt8 price ?

3-5 grand is doable because I was also considering an evolution gsr but wanted a rwd car having always opted for them when renting cars .
Correct, the 6.4L will get you 485hp, the 5.7L ~375hp. My dealer won't have prices on the new RT scat packs (with the 6.4L) until mid-May, but my guess is that the price will be $45k-$50k (similar to the SRT core model that just stopped production).

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have '14 blacktop package. Others have mentioned, but I wanted to confirm stuff. Also, I wanted to give you my impressions of switching to a Challenger from a turbo4.

Super track pack
245/45ZR20 BSW Performance Tires wider tires aka not all seasons? ***You can get summer tires or 'all season performance'. ***

Anti-Lock 4-Wheel Disc Heavy Duty Brakes do base R/Ts stil have drums in the back ? dodge branded? ***All the Challengers have 4 wheel disc, the Super Track Pack has "heavy duty" discs. I've never been able to confirm the difference but apparently many 18 inch wheels don't fit the STP brakes. They do have a different part number***

Anti-Lock brakes are equipped with electronic sensors that prevent wheel lockup, offering improved steering control under extreme braking or slippery conditions. Base R/T doesn't have abs? ***They all have anti-lock. I'm not sure why it's listed that way, could be a holdover from old advertising.***

Performance Steering w/Variable Displacement Pump Is this some dealer bullshit or does it make a difference. ***The steering feels tighter on the STP. Basically I don't think the power assist helps as much except at low speeds. It's noticeable and can be a little tiring on a long winding road in a good way.***

Track Tuned Suspension Whats "tuned" mean?***different shocks, springs, sway bars. It's about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch lower then the non-stp car when you look at them side by side***

Blacktop package
- The above with
3.92 gears does the base 6 speed r/t have an LSD? how terrible is a wheel hop ? What am i looking at here like .2 off the 1/4 at the expense of say 4 mpgs highway? Without this the R/T 6 speed has 3.73 gears? ***This has nothing to do with the blacktop package. The Blacktop package is an appearance package that includes the STP. The 3.92 gears make up for the larger wheel circumference (all factory 20 inch wheels should have the 3.92). Any mileage hit is minimal and has more to do with the wider, stickier tires than the small drive ratio difference. I haven't raced yet, so I won't speak to wheelhop***

* Also most importantly nothing super special performance wise is coming for the r/t in 2015 that i need to wait for right? i.e. it will still be the 5.7 liter? ***The 5.7 is still the engine for the RT, but now a 392 is optional. It's unclear how much that option will add to the price. The 5.7/M6 combo appears to be basically identical to 2014. The most meaningful difference is the interior. The 392 has a small power bump.***

I'll give you my take. I came from a turbo 4 (cobalt ss/tc). Not the same as a Subaru but I've spent enough time in and around them that I think you'll still get my point, but I did some SCCA parking lot 'racing' and spectator drags with the Cobalt. I was hitting 13.7's pretty consistently with the GMS1 tune and a downpipe. Should be about ballpark in the 1/4 as my M6 Challenger based on the forums after a tire change, but I haven't raced the Challenger. The Cobalt was definitely a better handling car and it was easier to drive fast on winding roads.

All of that may not sound like a ringing endorsement for the Challenger, but the Challenger is 10x more fun to drive. When you floor the Challenger, the way it sounds and feels is so engaging. It's just simply more fun. Plus it's visual presence is outstanding. I did drive a 2014 Mustang with the 5.0. I'd be lying to you if I didn't admit it was faster. I bought the Challenger RT anyway, so make of that what you will.

·
Registered
15,838 Posts
***All the Challengers have 4 wheel disc, the Super Track Pack has "heavy duty" discs. I've never been able to confirm the difference but apparently many 18 inch wheels don't fit the STP brakes. They do have a different part number***
Different part number? The only thing different on the STP brakes should be the brake pads, the calipers and rotors should be the same and the base SXT/RT 18-inch wheels will fit on an STP.

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts

0.7L is SIGNIFICANT. But the 6.4 also has a better CAM, bigger diameter exhaust and short tube headers. This all works toward the 90 HP difference. The 15' RT will have 10 extra HP (probably due to TUNE)

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts

·
Registered
15,838 Posts
Folks, do not assume that 20-inch wheels = 3.92 rear. This is not always the case, even with STP, and people have been getting burned by this.
True for a small window in 2013 production, haven't seen any posts that it has happened since and all 2014 cars look like they were built the way they should have been.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
The 392 being available in the R/T was announced by Dodge, yes. A supercharger does not increase displacement.

These will be as much as and more than an SRT8.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
True for a small window in 2013 production, haven't seen any posts that it has happened since and all 2014 cars look like they were built the way they should have been.
You can build a base R/T with STP and select 20-inch Chrome Clad wheels and that will get you 3.73s. If you select STP and choose the R/T Redline package THEN you get the 3.92s.

Luke should be able to look up this VIN and verify.

http://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=2C3CDYBT9EH214998

·
Registered
212 Posts
Anyone know what the 6.4 liter upgrade in the 15 rt will cost ?
Speculation is that it will be low 40s, I'm really hoping they stay competitive with pricing the r/t 392 near or slightly above the mustang 5.0 or camaro SS...which would give a street price of 35k or so

Nothing official price wise has come out tho

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
This all works toward the 90 HP difference
Don't you mean 110 HP difference?

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts