Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my new challenger should be here in 2-3 weeks....i have 3 kids under 6 years old...they like to draw in the salt on the side of my mini van...overall they are above average kids when it comes to not destroying the nicer things we own....

i will put my car under a car cover, but i am also thinking of building a barrier to keep them away...i cant keep them out of the garage. My latest idea is to use 1" pink stryrofoam and make walls around the car...use liquid nails to put it together....something made in sections so i can quickly open it up to get the car out.....i brought this up to my carpenter friends and they laughed at me.....

what do you do to protect your car from little kids?

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
I tell them to stay away... (3yo and 5yo)

·
Registered
630 Posts
I bought a car cover, but I think it will be a pita to install and remove. I still plan to drive the car this year. So, I have it buried under heavy blankets. My youngest is 10, so they know to stay away, but sometimes kids and/or their friends do stupid stuff. I keep the garage door closed and kids out of the garage unless they are getting in the van to go somewhere.

·
Super Moderator
13,847 Posts
You are not being paranoid or overly protective. :scared:

I have had two new cars severely scratched when my kids were little from bare bicycle handlebars and a screwdriver (was fixing Daddy's car). Now my kids are grown and I don't have to worry. :worried:

Also, if you park your car in the garage, make sure there is nothing on the walls or shelves that can fall and hit your car.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sounds like my 1" styrofoam box isnt such a bad idea...my youngest is 2...there is no controlling a 2 year old...my 6 year old just wrote on the side of the van, my 5 year old just took marker on the basement carpet and wrote her name....i constantly talk with my kids about not doing these things...im very strict...and overall they are great kids when i compare them to others i see...so my strictness has paid off...but they are kids and they will do bad things...

their toys and bikes are in the garage...they will be taking them in and out by themselves...w/o a barrier the car will be trashed..

we have been practicing how to sit in the new car...legs straight down, arms crossed, head down, no talking or moving...definitely nothing to eat or drink.....im probably going to make them take their shoes off in the back seat....and definitely a blanket over those don johnson seats.

·
Registered
741 Posts
we have been practicing how to sit in the new car...legs straight down, arms crossed, head down, no talking or moving...definitely nothing to eat or drink.....im probably going to make them take their shoes off in the back seat....and definitely a blanket over those don johnson seats.
practicing how to sit in the car?????

personlly if i was in your situation i dont think i would have bought a challenger just yet, the practicing you quote above sounds more like a punishment (gulag) than a ride in the car.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm all for keeping my car clean, but I guess I just happen to like my kid more than my car. If something happens, it would suck, but I don't think I'd get quite that bent out of shape over it.

On the other side, my son is 19, so it's not like he'll do something to it now. But, we did have cars when he was little.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Shock Collar FTW! No seriously though, I'm not so sure about the foam idea. Kids like poking holes in foam so make sure the foam doesn't but up right against the car. Good luck!

-VAGRANT

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
I don't understand this. You tell the kids not to touch the car. Done.

My Dad (or Mom) kicked the hell outta me if I didn't do what they told me the very first time and I learned that early on.

Discipline makes good citizens.

·
Premium Member
7,294 Posts
Just tell them nicely that Daddy's new car is not one that can be "drawn" on. If you're okay with the mini van, then tell them that they can only draw on the old car. If you put up barriers or covers, their curiosity might overrule discipline.

Kids are a lot smarter than you think. If you ask in a nice way and provide another means to let them be creative, they'll listen. You might say, "if we keep this car spot free, we can go for ride in the Challenger." Make them feel that it is something special for them too.

I don't know everything, but I'm on round two with kids. My kids have grown and they have kids of their own now. :D

·
Registered
954 Posts
my dad had the perfect idea for such problems,he would say''DONT TOUCH MY CAR'' and then if we touched it he would whoop our asses,generally it didnt come to the whooping part because we learned to heed his advice!...i guess thats not ''proper'' parenting these days according to oprah and dr.phil! but it was effective!

·
Registered
157 Posts
You never should have let the kids draw on the minivan in the first place. You've already taught them that it's OK to draw on cars. Now it's time to break this pattern. Spankings help.

I get parents in my store all the time that let their kids climb all over the snowmobiles and ATVs. Some of these machines cost $15,000. When I ask them to please not allow their children on the machines they get mad at me. They are inconsiderate and lazy parents and I'm the bad guy. One guy's kid kept jumping around on an ATV and the guy refused to stop the little booger eater. When we closed the deal he said he would take it BUT not this one because it's scratched. I told him "Your kid scratched it, that's the one you get or you can pay for damages". He took it home later that day.

Others come in and the kids will stand next to the machines and admire them, they will ask questions and occasionally ask to sit on one, in which case we show them how to get on an ATV without dragging your foot across the fender or seat.

As Speedy said - Good parenting makes good considerate citizens.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts