Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I've heard lots of guys on here giving tips on bringing the black trim back (once it's faded) to life with Peanut butter etc... but

My question is, how can I keep my black trim looking new and protect it BEFORE fading?

I've heard using Armor All will eventually turn the trim grey...

What do you guys use / suggest?

My car is a daily driver and sits out in the sun all day. I don't want the trim to fade!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Use products with UV protection in them, The suns UV rays are what cause the fading over time.

·
Registered
151 Posts
For exterior trim, I am a big fan of Aerospace 303 Protectant. I reapply it every couple of weeks and it keeps the black trim looking sharp.

For the interiors, I've used Aerospace as well, but it does leave a hint of shine. Lately I've been using Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer to clean, and following that with Meguiar's Natural Shine Protectant. I'm pleased with the results as it doesn't leave things greasy or glossy.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
It really depends on the trim piece but I prefer to use a non-staining LSP (last step product; wax/sealant) whenever possible vs. dressings/protectants. That's not to say I think protectants don't work (I use them myself in some situations), but I find LSP's typically easier, faster, usually longer lasting and less messy.

I will typically use Klasse AIO or Zaino AIO when a little cleaning ability is needed and a pure sealant/wax most other times. Not all trim is alike so it really depends on the texture/finish. However, I’m careful not to over apply and/or buff when using AIO's on trim for fear of losing too much of the existing finish/appearance. You simply need to get a feel for what each product does and the results they provide. Every situation can be a little different.

More recently, I have been playing around with newer nano-sealants and coatings. For trim, I'm using C4 from G/Techniq. It's touted as a "permanent" trim restorer but it is really "semi"-permanent with durability that will (apparently) last between 1-2 years. I've been quite impressed so far and have applied it to both my wife's car and my Challenger.

.....just some more options you may want to think about.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Try using Mothers Back-To-Black, love that stuff. Works great for protecting and making everything look black again :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts