Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Protecting your car from the dealer

5K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  Dennis H 
#1 ·
We care about our cars more than the lackey at the dealer who's obligated by a minimum wage to begrudgingly rotate yet another set of tires on yet another Dodge Cha-something-or-other he couldn't care less about.

What are ways to make sure your baby doesn't come back with new damage? I'm talking door dings, wheel scrapes along the edges of rims, chips on lug nut sockets from them slamming the impact wrench on there and over-torquing it 3-fold, etc. I've tried talking to service managers, taking pictures/video, but inevitably I get cars back with minor damage. Would it be offensive for me to demand to meet my tech face-to-face before any work is done, and offer to tip him if he doesn't damage my car?

Does anyone wrap rim edges and lug holes with painter's tape before tire changes, etc.? Any other tips or tricks? Do you find boutique high-end shops that perform an exacting level of work? Do you by a tire machine/balancing machine to do all your own work?

#2 ·
Not everyone can do their own work. Having said that, I no longer trust mechanics to show the same level of care to my vehicles that I do. I do what I can on my cars but if something came up like a heavy duty suspension issue or something that requires engine removal I would have no choice. Try talking to the service manager or find a different service location.

#3 ·
speaking from experience i've had pretty bad luck with dealerships. every one i've taken it to has damaged my car in one way or another.

I now do walk arounds with the advisor everytime. I use to put door guards for dings, but it was a little embarrassing. I also have a dashcam hardwired so it records driving and parking. That will let me know if there is any joyriding and some proof if there was an accident with my car.

It sucks but at least for warranty work if you don't want to pay outta pocket you gotta go to dealerships. Otherwise I guess you could do everything else that you can do yourself. I'm trying to learn a little now

#4 ·
speaking from experience i've had pretty bad luck with dealerships. every one i've taken it to has damaged my car in one way or another.

I now do walk arounds with the advisor everytime. I use to put door guards for dings, but it was a little embarrassing. I also have a dashcam hardwired so it records driving and parking. That will let me know if there is any joyriding and some proof if there was an accident with my car.

It sucks but at least for warranty work if you don't want to pay outta pocket you gotta go to dealerships. Otherwise I guess you could do everything else that you can do yourself. I'm trying to learn a little now
Walk around and dash cam are good advice. Don't forget to review the invoice. I have experienced some sort of screw up from paper work mistakes, loose fasteners, damage on approximately 75% of service events at the dealer where I purchased last 3 new MOPARs. I am fortunate that I am willing and able to do most vehicle service and would encourage auto enthusiasts to learn to service and repair their vehicles.

#5 ·
Step 1: find a different dealership with a trustworthy service dept...

Step 2: trust in your fellow man

Reactions: F8HemiRT
#6 ·
1. Don't buy new cars with warranties that you will feel obligated to use. Buy used.

2. Avoid dealers at all costs. Use independent shops that have more skin in the game to get it right.

3. Do everything you can yourself.

4. Realize that warranty and maintenance packages (free oil changes, tire rotation, etc) are only there to get you in the door regularly so they can sell you more stuff.

#8 ·
Yup, Independent Shop. Dealer nicked my wheel PRE DELIVERY installing locking lugs that I didn’t want. I carry a special socket now to loan to Shop for wheel work. Can’t fix only avoid Dealers. Avoid Normandin CDJR-Peugot in San Jose like the plague. Wheel nicked at Autonation Roseville. Dealers are whores. A necessary evil to get our cars.

#9 ·
I believe that any business that works on cars should hold themselves to the same standard of care that the factory does. The car leaves the assembly plant blemish free so I why does the repair shop dismiss this expectation? It can be a difficult to find a shop that consistently returns cars to their customers undamaged.

#12 ·
I am lucky my dealer is about a 50 minute drive but well worth it .They are very carefull with the cars
the writer walks around your car with you
Tech are good 5 years never a problem . They do my oil change & tier rotation .
and also did some warranty work
i always make my appointment with the same tech ,and I also tip him well .
yea I heard you it’s his job to be careful but here in Florida they pay ****
So to me the money is well spent for peace of mind , and to now things are done right

#13 · (Edited)
Seeing more and more of these related type of post & questions.
Its a shame that DodgeCares doesnt take careful note of the concerns/issues & bad experiences flowing out of its customer base and actually forward that up the chain to the big hats at Dodge so that this isnt an issue for anyone!
The fact that as a (multi) hi-end dodge owner, I can NOT trust ANY dodge dealership to treat my $45k, $60k, & $96k vehicles with the upmost care & concern, be it a car wash or full on major repair, is really disheartening.
To read some of these stories about joy rides, tire shredding burnouts, dents, dings, unrepairs, lies on paperwork, lies by service managers, legit warranty work denials and general BS done at dealerships to customer cars is enough to make your blood boil!

Op..I now take multiple pics on my cellphone in the dealer parking lot, just prior to service. I document mileage, int, ext, cond. etc. Car is totally cleaned out, (theft reasons) washed/detailed, etc. I also have car cams hardwired in that cover front & rear 24/7 and if at all possible, I remain at the dealership while work is done. At end of service, if Ive had to leave the vehicle (such as overnite) I request the service manager to 'walk' the car with me (visual inspection) before I retake key possession & drive away. That way if anything is amiss, its addressed right then & there & I have my cell pics to back me up, before Ive even touched the car post work. I also request that my vehicles are not to be detailed/washed by the dealership - which is oftena courtesy. ( just 1 more change of hands, driving it, chance for BS, damage, etc)...this is all assuming I cannot do the service/repair myself or at a shop that is 100% trustworthy.

Reactions: Dennis H
#16 ·
Sadly Dodge Care hasn’t been able help me out any of the times I reach out. I’m getting better luck with FCA directly so far it seems, still gotta get back to them on paperwork, hoping things work out. Not sure how much Dodge Care has power, I mean that respectively to help. It seems like they serve as a middle man between the dealerships and customer. Kinda hit and miss with who they will be siding with. FCA seems more helpful in helping the customer resolve their issues

#20 ·
when I need service on the Dodge Ram. I tell my Cat . (same as telling service advisor). Cat listens and hopes for treat. Pays closer attention. Service advisor, hmmmm not so much on the 'temptation salmon flavored treat'.
So I do my own. Luckily ( knock on wood) Dodge Ram and Dodge Challenger have not needed dealer service. 14 years in-between them :cool:
best regards
parrott

#21 ·
when I need service on the Dodge Ram. I tell my Cat . (same as telling service advisor). Cat listens and hopes for treat. Pays closer attention. Service advisor, hmmmm not so much on the 'temptation salmon flavored treat'.
So I do my own. Luckily ( knock on wood) Dodge Ram and Dodge Challenger have not needed dealer service. 14 years in-between them :cool:
best regards
parrott
not sure how you guys get lucky like. I've had transmission issues on all my Dodge and other stuff that isn't just oil and tires. Maybe i'm foolish to keep coming back. Is brand loyalty overrated? Are you guys Mopar or no car?

#25 ·
DodgeCares...FAIK is the social media PR / go-between, as such they would have point of contact to policy people in FCA that you & I would never have.
They could be / supposed to be influential on behalf of the customer to make things happen when previous attempts fail. At least thats how they come acrossed. I cant say as Ive ever heard anyone stating they actually did help however...
The dealership issues - being a long train of customer abuse at the hands of dealerships - is in fact a BIG one, systemic and pervasive throughout. It needs to be addressed from the corp level, or legally by collective customer action, if nessicary.
As for the "go find another dealership" fan club. This works sometimes, but that doesnt always solve the problem. My area for exampe has 1 "good" dealer, relatively speaking and 2 bad ones, one horribly so! The good one is slammed 24/7.
There are also areas in the country where dealers can be hundreds of miles apart, dealerships close down, change ownership, etc. so if you next (better) dealership is for example hundreds of miles away, or is now gone altogether, how easy is that to utilize when needed...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.