Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure there has been a lot of talk about this in the past but just wanted to remind people to change the battery in the fob at the first sign of problems.

At almost the exact same time both of my fobs stopped remote locking and unlocking. Lifting the door handle still unlocked the car and the button on the trunk still worked.

I didn't change the battery and it was another 4 months before the key fob battery warning showed on the cluster.

I don't know when the batteries went into the fobs but this happened just past the 3 year mark from my cars build date.

·
Premium Member
4,062 Posts
3 years on the battery is pretty good. I would be inclined to change them more often to avoid leakage. Those little Fobs are pricey!

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
2032 batteries are 10/$9 for name brand batteries. I change ours every year it is cheap insurance to avoid problems.

Reactions: SKT PK 9 Man

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Challenger T/A 392 6 speed
208 Posts
I know it is a different animal, but my 1998 Dodge Ram SS/T still has the original battery in the fob.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Both batteries in my fobs went out at the same time as well. I could lock & unlock the car from the door handle button but neither fobs would lock or unlock the car. Starting was not a problem. Two new fob batteries corrected the issues with both fobs. I carry an extra battery in the glove box just in case.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,499 Posts
Every year we replace the batteries in our 6 fobs. (2 for my Challenger, 2 for the wife's Challenger and 2 for our Jeep)

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,709 Posts
I know it is a different animal, but my 1998 Dodge Ram SS/T still has the original battery in the fob.
Yeah, fobs without passive entry/push to start cars only use the battery when actually pushing a button. They aren't used/needed to drive the car. But still, impressive even if never used that it works that long.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's great.
My 05 Ram Daytona still had the original fob batteries when I traded it in for my Challenger. I think those are just keyless entry so battery should last a while.

Both batteries in my fobs went out at the same time as well. I could lock & unlock the car from the door handle button but neither fobs would lock or unlock the car. Starting was not a problem. Two new fob batteries corrected the issues with both fobs. I carry an extra battery in the glove box just in case.
That's exactly what happened with mine. Funny part was after I ordered a 6 pack of batteries from Amazon I found a brand new 12 package in my battery drawer. I guess someone in my house wanted some too.

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
2032 batteries are 10/$9 for name brand batteries. I change ours every year it is cheap insurance to avoid problems.
I do the same. I use New Year's day as change the FOB battery day. That way I can remember when I changed out the batteries last. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Bob Ricewasser
1 - 10 of 10 Posts