Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about the appropriate psi to put in tires. I've heave multiple different answers, so maybe my cencal fam can assist me. I have goodyear rsa on my chally. When i bought the car i checked the psi and it was around 32-35 psi. I just got my wheels done and the guy who was putting my tires back on said that that the psi should be 5 psi below what the tire recommends. That would put my psi at 46 psi. Can anyone confirm or deny this info.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
35psi is what it says on your door panel, I'd stick with that.

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
46 PSI is too much. Take what it says on the door jamb. It states XX PSI COLD which means with the tire at the ambient outside air temp, not 40 degrees warmer while parked in your garage or after driving 2 hours.

I like to go up a few PSI so I run about 35 or 36 PSI (the door jamb on mine says 32 PSI).

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I have a question about the appropriate psi to put in tires. I've heave multiple different answers, so maybe my cencal fam can assist me. I have goodyear rsa on my chally. When i bought the car i checked the psi and it was around 32-35 psi. I just got my wheels done and the guy who was putting my tires back on said that that the psi should be 5 psi below what the tire recommends. That would put my psi at 46 psi. Can anyone confirm or deny this info.
....he has no clue what he is talking about. You have to consider the vehicle they are being installed on since not every application will be the same. ....which is the reason to follow the manufacturers recommendation:

Tire Tech Information - Checking Tire Inflation Pressure

There's nothing wrong with deviating from the OEM recommendation to fit your particular scenario (i.e. factoring in speed, change in load, to change handling characteristics, etc.), but if you are simply looking for a starting point, I would use the PSI listings on the door placard.

·
Super Moderator
15,339 Posts
Go by the sticker on the door jamb (likely 32PSI) you can add a couple of pounds above that.

Be certain to monitor the pressure in the winter - cold temps reduce the temperature - each 10*F drop will reduce by nearly 1 PSI, so you'll need to add air to maintain the 32PSI minimum recommended.

Over-inflation will cause the center of the tread to wear faster, so don't believe what the tire shop guy said...40 PSI tires will be rock hard ride and probably have less traction.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts