Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove the car all last week, with no issues. Drove it over the weekend and didn't notice anything, either. Then, when driving to work on Monday I noticed that the car now wants to pull pretty hard to the left. I've always been impressed with how smooth and straight the Challenger runs, so it was something definitely new.

I check the air pressure in all of the tires last night, all of them are at 32 psi. I'm not positive, but I think the steering wheel might be a little bit offcenter as well.

I don't recall hitting any potholes or anything like that, but I don't know what else can throw the alignment and steering wheel off that quick. Any other thoughts?

I know our cars don't have a ton of adjustment options in the front, will getting a front end alignment getting driving back straight (with a centered steering wheel)? Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Is your's pulling all the time or just once in a while?

Mine started pulling HARD to the right a couple weeks ago, but only twice in one week. I did hear a whine in the steering wheel in a couple places too as I turned it slowly.

I ended up driving over 300 kms before my appointment at the dealership to get it looked at, and nothing. The twice it happened was along the same stretch of road so after all that driving, I drove the same stretch of road again, taking a close look at the pavement as well. Sure enough it pulled hard again, for about 50 ft. I noticed while looking closely at the road that there was a barely noticable ripple and the pavement actually dropped down at least a couple inches along the ripple. May be because of frost over winter or water seeping under and causing some erosion.

My steering wheel is still making the whining sound but the dealer can't pinpoint it until it gets louder. Except for that stretch of road where I had issues though, it goes straight for a long ways without touching the wheel.

I hope your fix is this simple.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately, mine is not road related. That was the first thing I thought of as well, but it does it constantly, on highway or surface streets in any of the lanes.

I guess I'll have to try and get an alignment and hope for the best.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am experiencing a similar problem but mine pulls to the right. It did not pull a week ago, not sure what happended. But my shop can not align it back to specs due to the limited adjustments on the front end. I am waiting for a response from Chrysler for a solution.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
My pulling was actually a spot along a particular stretch of road, that when looking close you could see the pavement was lower, either from snow melt getting under the asphalt causing it to shift (?) or frost since the shoulder was gravel and no curb. But listening to the steering when turning the wheel did reveal this whine that I might not have noticed for a while.

After a couple weeks, the hard pull to the right never happened again except on the same stretch of road, but the whine was significantly more noticable and the steering stiffer so I took it back in to the dealer and they replaced the PS pump and ended up replacing the pulley too, as it was noticably wobbly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts