Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I usually pull this fuse every now and then to clear the parameters and get my chally to wake up but for obvious reasons I find it VERY annoying and silly that I have to keep doing it. Is there a way to permanently disable the adaptive learning or mod it to be a switch on the inside or something? Can I run the car safely without this fuse at all and would that help?

·
Registered
887 Posts
No. There is no way to disable the Adaptive Learning program. Many of us feel the same way-and have asked the same question.

·
Registered
2012 Challenger RT
386 Posts
Should I do this after I put in my Force II cat back system today?
Yes, you should do it after any mod install. Even after you change the license plate frame, the car will adapt to the better aerodynamics lol. Seriously though, yes I would do it after any performance mod. I do mine about every 1-2 months just to wake the car up.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Yes, you should do it after any mod install. Even after you change the license plate frame, the car will adapt to the better aerodynamics lol. Seriously though, yes I would do it after any performance mod. I do mine about every 1-2 months just to wake the car up.
So just find it, pull it out, let it sit for a bit? And just plug it back in? Does the car need to be in any specific mode / gear?

·
Premium Member
7,314 Posts
. . . or mod it to be a switch on the inside or something? . . . Can I run the car safely without this fuse at all and would that help?
You could cut the wire going to the fuse and run a pair of wires from the place you cut it to a normally closed push button that you mount under the dash somewhere. That way you could just push the button when you wanted to "pull the fuse."

. . . Can I run the car safely without this fuse at all and would that help?
No

Reactions: shaker2014

·
Registered
2012 Challenger RT
386 Posts
So just find it, pull it out, let it sit for a bit? And just plug it back in? Does the car need to be in any specific mode / gear?
The car needs to be parked with the engine off (pulling it with the engine on will throw a code). Pull the fuse for about 30 seconds to 1 minute, then put it back in, close the fuse box and hood, start er up and drive it like you stole it :banger:

·
Registered
778 Posts
The car needs to be parked with the engine off (pulling it with the engine on will throw a code). Pull the fuse for about 30 seconds to 1 minute, then put it back in, close the fuse box and hood, start er up and drive it like you stole it :banger:
I'm at work right now so I can't go look, are the fuses labeled or has someone posted up a pic of ours here? I'll do it as soon as the exhaust is put in.

·
Registered
2012 Challenger RT
386 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hmm looks like we're stuck with this "feature" on a muscle car wtf and the 6.1 SRT's got a gas guzzling tax anyway, couldn't they just leave the damn thing alone?
One last inquiry, can this adaptive crap be turned off with a CMR custom tune or will it still interfere eventually as usual and need the fuse pulled again every month or so?

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
When you pull the fuse, all your doing is resetting the fuel tables. ST/LT fuel trims are being reset and the cars adaptive feature is restarting form scratch. The initial amounts of fuel used are from a base table. The amounts of fuel pulled or added are then recorded as st fuel (-/+).... If at each cell of the table depending on temp,map, or throttle pos, the PCM records a constant (-/+) ST trim, it then becomes a LT fuel trim. This is a permanent part of the table the cars adaptive system then uses to base the corrections on.

When you pull the fuse, you are just resetting this. The ST/LT Knock works the same. The adaptives cannot be turned off, for they are a main function of all OBDII cars.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just wish there was a permanent way around this rather than resetting it manually every time you notice your car bogging down. It's even an issue with the 6 speed cars.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Yes, you should do it after any mod install. Even after you change the license plate frame, the car will adapt to the better aerodynamics lol.
HAHAHAHA ohhh man that was hilarious!!! :icon_biggrin:

·
Banned
553 Posts
.... start er up and drive it like you stole it :banger:
That made me laugh. :)

Is the fuel adaptive feature some sort of 'liberal' requirement in vehicles now to get us all closer to the Prius? ....also, thank you Prius drivers - I need the gas.

I did not know much about the feature of what it does, but found an interesting explanation and have posted it below (for those like me that were clueless). :)

·
Banned
553 Posts
Okay, just found this info which I found of interest and a great explanation of the adaptive feature....many of you may know this already, but I came over to this thread not knowing much...this was from another Challenger Forum:

"Just ensure you have good 93 octane in the tank...

Driver Adaptive's and related fuel table trim is probably the least understood algorithm contained within the NGC - Next Generation Controller (also called PCM)

There are long term fuel adaptive trim (100 start cycles) and short term fuel adaptive trim (50 start cycles). The NGC looks at what the fuel requirements to operate are during "closed loop" operations. The fuel trim algorithm is slowly and gradually attempting to bring the fuel consumption to best suit driving conditions and optimize the MPG by feedback from O2 and other sensors.

Short term and long term fuel trim are also used in analyzing KR (Knock Retard) and attempting to have the NGC (PCM) calibrate the engine timing based on quality of fuel. With different quality fuels and octane's, the NGC tries to always adjust for the best engine timing (advance/retard) to protect the engine from knock or prevent detonation. The knock sensors on the HEMI engine are quite sensitive and can be considered to be "engine microphones".

The PCM has the ability to do some rudimentary fuel tuning (all modern vehicles now do this) via "closed loop mode". It has two main modes of operation, closed loop and open loop. When the engine is started and heated up past 160 deg. F, the NGC (PCM) now goes into "closed loop" control whereby it takes feedback from sensors (ie. IAT, MAP, O2, Knock, etc.) and looks at the fuel efficiency and attempts to tweak out the current fuel tables to get the best MPG and engine efficiency.

Tromping the accelerator to the floor puts the PCM into OPEN loop where it now goes to fixed tables to do fuel mixture and o2 sensors are now bypassed.

So where does this wind up over time. Well, there is a number of "learn cycles" that The PCM goes into for fuel Adaptives, normal 100 start cycles, or a "quick learn" of 50 start cycles (using the headlight ON/OFF trick). During these times (cycles) fuel trim adaptive algorithms work on trying to get the best MPG. After the 100 cycles, the MPG magic is pretty much done until something is done to initial another "learn cycle" like clear memory.

These start cycles are a fixed "time-cycle" effort to build a fuel trim table and the algorithm will stop fuel trim after these 50 or 100 start cycles.

So if you have been driving around for a number of weeks, months in a laid back fashion, the PCM has learned this and attempted to get the best MPG for you and tuned down (slowly) performance. So, one day you tromp the gas hard or do some spirited driving and you notice the car "sluggish", or not quite as peppy as before. This could be the reason. Clearing out long term fuel table adaptive memory can sometimes help.

The PCM has a number of classes and types of internal memory. The fuel table Adaptive's are stored in volatile memory and when the fuse (F2) is pulled for at least 20-30 seconds, this memory is cleared and you can start over building a new set of Fuel Table Adaptive's for closed loop control (next 100 start cycles).

If you granny drive around town your car adapts to that type of driving. Then when you want to do a lot of quick aggressive driving the vehicle may seem sluggish and not "as responsive" as you remember. You may need to do something to the PCM called clearing driving fuel Adaptive's."

Reactions: salvy59
1 - 20 of 70 Posts