Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A dealer order 392 is coming in tomorrow and it's exactly what I want except it has a stripe delete (don't really care though I think I hate the stripes anyway), and its got the 430N MyGig unit. I ordered mine in January and was given first dibs on the car coming in tomorrow and also told that my car would be here by the end of March which I need it to be for because my 17th bday is the 30th. Does anyone know what the actual difference is between the 430N and the RHR 730N units? I'm a little scared to not get the best stereo and even more scared not to get the car by the end of the month. The dealer told me that there is a priority 1 build code on it now, but that's what it has been. I was guaranteed this car by the end of March but I'm really not sure if I can go on his word, but what reason would he have to lie at this point with a guaranteed sale either way? Sorry for the ramble but its a huge decision and if I make the wrong one I'll regret it.
Can anyone help me?
Also this was my 392nd post lol

·
Registered
37 Posts
Personally, I'd wait for the car you originally ordered. If it comes in anywhere around the time promised, it ain't got much longer to arrive anyway. On something like this, why settle for something "almost" like you want, when the real deal is coming soon? I waited from April 09 until August or September of 09 for my Wrangler to arrive, but it is still just the vehicle I wanted, literally, and the long wait is a non issue now. Thanks, Counterman.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Counter said it well. But also like you said you're not big on stripes. I know the nav package is different between the 430 and 730s 430s use Garmond, not sure what the 730 uses.

Here's some discussion I found while Googling it

#153 of 169 Re: 430N vs 730N media center [joeb24] by
kgvw

Feb 18, 2011 (5:54 pm)

Replying to:
joeb24 (Feb 18, 2011 8:04 am)

My Overland was supposed to come with the 930 but was delivered with the 430 instead. Chrysler told me they had problems with the 930 so they replaced it with the 430 without telling anyone. The 430 works fine and there doesnt seem to be that much difference unless you need that much more song storage. From what I can tell, the 430 has Travel Link and the 730 has the Traffic link... not sure what else there is. You can always call Chrysler and order the REAL instruction manual.
#154 of 169 Re: 430N vs 730N media center [joeb24] by
avery1

Feb 18, 2011 (10:43 pm)

Replying to:
joeb24 (Feb 18, 2011 8:04 am)

The salesman told me that the difference is that the 430 has the Garmin maps which is a plus but that the 730 has voice control for the nav. When I was looking I thought the standard was the 430 and you paid a few hundred premium for the 730.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys I'm pretty sure I will wait, think there are a lot more differences between them now as RS gave me this link: Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 - 2011 Grand Cherokee Navigation radios
I'm going to the dealers tomorrow and I think I'll go stripe delete to speed it up, and I'll just order the stripe from rider, even though I'll probably get the carbon fiber stripe that Ground Effects told me I can get through mopar from the previous year's models. It's just annoying since I ordered the car that's coming in tomorrow way back in November and had to reorder in Jan since it was screwed up. Been waiting for the new Chally since I first heard the news that they were coming back, and I've always loved 'em since I was a kid. Hopefully the dealer pulls through in time. (fingers crossed)

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Dude, I'm smiling over here reading that you've loved the Challenger since you were a kid; you're 16!

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dude, I'm smiling over here reading that you've loved the Challenger since you were a kid; you're 16!
Well since I was like 4 or 5 so that's like 12 or 13 years.

That's why I never really told anyone my age because I thought I wouldn't get taken as seriously.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thanks guys I'm pretty sure I will wait, think there are a lot more differences between them now as RS gave me this link: Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 - 2011 Grand Cherokee Navigation radios
I'm going to the dealers tomorrow and I think I'll go stripe delete to speed it up, and I'll just order the stripe from rider, even though I'll probably get the carbon fiber stripe that Ground Effects told me I can get through mopar from the previous year's models. It's just annoying since I ordered the car that's coming in tomorrow way back in November and had to reorder in Jan since it was screwed up. Been waiting for the new Chally since I first heard the news that they were coming back, and I've always loved 'em since I was a kid. Hopefully the dealer pulls through in time. (fingers crossed)
You are a kid some of us have waited 30 - 40 years for these cars. A month is not long to wait for something you really want.

·
Registered
131 Posts
New Cars, New Drivers!

A 392 for your 17th birthday?!?!! Talk about overkill. I didn't get my first car until I was 20 years old. And that was a $500 1987 Ford Taurus bought in 2004. I'm 27 and I think it's amazing that my mom can have the opportunity to have a 392 is destined to be in a garage sometime late March or early April.

Not exactly easy to finance a vehicle costing a bit over 50 G's...

Oh yeah, I would keep the order intact on the first vehicle choice. My feelings is someone will jump on your pre-ordered car if you decide to go the fast route and take the car that arrives the quickest.

I try not to bug the dealership as much as I am tempted, because I know it will not expedite the order to a sooner delivery date.:)

Good luck with your vehicle order!

-Cupnbuckit

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

That's why I never really told anyone my age because I thought I wouldn't get taken as seriously.
I take ya seriously. My first car was a 1966 Chevelle I bought in 1992 when I was 18. Most of my friends had some sort of Muscle or Pony car. Some of them nearly died from showing off, I remember visiting a good friend in the hospital when he was in a coma.

I won't preach, just be responsible is all. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
I take ya seriously. My first car was a 1966 Chevelle I bought in 1992 when I was 18. Most of my friends had some sort of Muscle or Pony car. Some of them nearly died from showing off, I remember visiting a good friend in the hospital when he was in a coma.

I won't preach, just be responsible is all. ;)

We've all screwed up good sheet metal in the name of stupidity. If for no other reason be smart for the car's sake.:indifferent:

·
Registered
396 Posts
Congrats dude ! That's one sick ride especially when you're a senior & get to park it in the school lot, be careful my sons car got dinged his 1st week.
I know drivers ed preaches all the pitfalls so take it to heart

At 15 , (1978) worked & saved enough to buy a 71 challenger 340
my first car.
Didn't have a license, my parents were in Florida but I test drove & bought
it anyway.
My Dad wasn't too happy, took the keys until 79 when I turned 16 & got my license.
Forest green car & the first "mod" was a green pot leaf decal
on the rear glass. Looking back , probably wasn't the best choice.
Thankfully I worked in a donut shop helping the baker which was a substation at
night so I knew all the cops.

Why I just rambled like grandpa from the simpsons is beyond me :scratchhead:

·
Registered
4,224 Posts

I think it's cool that you're a long time fan of the Challenger. You'll get much more respect driving it instead of a tuner 4 cyl with a fart can. Just realize you're one fortunate 16/17 year old to have such a car. Many of us would love to have a 392, me included. Don't let it go to your head, be safe and if possible, don't ever sell it. Most here would have kept the car we had when we were your age, especially a Challenger!
:)

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I really would have loved to get a 70s Challenger- preferably a 70- and fix it up in time to get my license but my parents are divorced and my dad takes no real interest in anything that I do so I would really have no help on it, and my mom wanted me to have a reliable car so this was the way to go.
I live in a wealthy part of the country (Bergen County) so the norm for a teenager around here is a brand new Audi or BMW there are even a few porches. Last year there was an SRT8 jeep and the only SRT is my friend's challenger, he's a senior so I'll be the only one next year. I realize how lucky I am and I've worked hard through my whole high school career for this one reason. I'll never sell it and I'll never give anyone a reason to take it from me or hurt it. Parking in the junior lot most days this year which is pretty big so I'll just park away from people.

·
Registered
248 Posts

Ditto. I ordered my R/T when I was 24. But, in my defence, my first vehicle was a rusted out '88 Dakota that I paid $900 for as is, so I think i've somehwat paid my dues :)

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
IMO I would wait for the exact car that you ordered as it truly is the exact car that you wanted in the first place and you will not regret at any time for not waiting..

·
Registered
159 Posts
I really would have loved to get a 70s Challenger- preferably a 70- and fix it up in time to get my license but my parents are divorced and my dad takes no real interest in anything that I do so I would really have no help on it, and my mom wanted me to have a reliable car so this was the way to go.
I live in a wealthy part of the country (Bergen County) so the norm for a teenager around here is a brand new Audi or BMW there are even a few porches. Last year there was an SRT8 jeep and the only SRT is my friend's challenger, he's a senior so I'll be the only one next year. I realize how lucky I am and I've worked hard through my whole high school career for this one reason. I'll never sell it and I'll never give anyone a reason to take it from me or hurt it. Parking in the junior lot most days this year which is pretty big so I'll just park away from people.
Harrison - sounds like your old man's loss... you seem like a good dude. When I was in high school I built a '52 Willys pickup (which was old even back then). Hopefully someday you'll get your '70 and the time to work on it - if your lucky, maybe it will be a project with your kid.

Your car should be coming soon. - Try not to pick on the beemers and porches too much and drive carefully.

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
wow man! i didnt realize you were 16/17 ... thats cool if you are able to swing it. im 25 and get all kinds of questions when folks think the car is my dad's LOL

1 - 20 of 27 Posts