Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon,

I sold my 2011 SRT8 to a family member and was looking to get a 2019 R/T Scat Pack, but i have recently began to look at hellcats in the 45-55k range.

I don't plan on racing, but I do enjoy having the power -> Is it worth getting the hellcat or is it unnecessary to have 707hp for a 75% Daily Driver.

I understand we always might want the hellcat.. but is it worth, really, playing a lot more per month/or total, for more power than we can really even use. I probably won't be going more than 75-85 in the areas around here anyways.

·
Registered
69 Posts
"...is it unnecessary to have 707hp for a 75% Daily Driver..."

"...is it worth, really, playing a lot more per month/or total, for more power than we can really even use..."

"...I probably won't be going more than 75-85 in the areas around here anyways."
Based on the above, I think you would be good with the '19 R/T SP.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Good afternoon,

I sold my 2011 SRT8 to a family member and was looking to get a 2019 R/T Scat Pack, but i have recently began to look at hellcats in the 45-55k range.

I don't plan on racing, but I do enjoy having the power -> Is it worth getting the hellcat or is it unnecessary to have 707hp for a 75% Daily Driver.

I understand we always might want the hellcat.. but is it worth, really, playing a lot more per month/or total, for more power than we can really even use. I probably won't be going more than 75-85 in the areas around here anyways.
I had the exact same Debate. I went with the scat pack for a few reasons. First the insurance difference. Hellcat would have been an extra 1200 a year over what the scat pack costs. Second was gas mileage. Third really if you are not drag or tracking it you much you are really just looking for a nice time off the line and the ability to launch around traffic on the freeway, yea? In my experience (and lots of articles) a scat pack with good tires will get just as good 0-60 times as a hellcat - reason being to really unlock the full take off potential of the hellcat you are gonna need some hardcore tires. The kind you would. It daily drive with.

Don’t get me wrong, if I had a ton of disposable income I’d have a hellcat but at the ends of the day having that extra 200 ish hp i would tap very infrequently is not worth the extra cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 AWD SXT +
614 Posts
In most cases we always want more power so it can be tough to decide on practical vs. emotion. If yours will be a 75% daily drive than I say go R/T. As my wife likes to remind me "when stuck in traffic you're no faster than the 4 cyl civic next to you".

Heck, I went very practical and got the V6 because it's my 100% daily driver and just really wanted a Challenger. MPG, pricing, insurance costs, etc. won out over emotion in my case. Would I like a hellcat, hell yeah and a wide body to boot would be extra nice but not the right time at the moment.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Go R/T SP, and get the widebody!

"Tick the box for the Widebody option and things get even better. That brings you an extra 3.5-inches of overall width, some formidable fender flares, and 305/35ZR20 Pirelli tires on 11-inch-wide wheels to boost traction both in a straight line and when taking corners. Stopping power gets amped up thanks to six-piston Brembo brakes up front, and Dodge adds a more aggressive suspension tune, as well. You also get some features in common with the more expensive SRT Hellcat, such as standard line lock for burnouts at the drag strip, launch assist and launch control to help fling the car down that strip, and a new hood that was previously seen on the old Hellcat model before the 2019 Hellcat adopted the new dual-snorkel hood of the Hellcat Redeye. "

"Heuschele's proud of the fact that the wide Scat Pack can match the lap time of the original 707-hp Hellcat on the 2.14-mile GingerMan Raceway circuit. "

""This started out as a project to just put the Widebody package on the Scat Pack, but then we thought, 'Why don't we try to go a bit further,'" explains SRT vehicle dynamics chief Erich Heuschele. His team ended up with a completely new spring/damping/roll-stiffness setup. At 359 lb/in, these are the stiffest front springs on any Challenger, up from 313 on the Hellcats and 284 on the base Scat Pack. Its rear springs are shared with the Hellcats. The anti-roll bars are stiffened by increasing their diameters from 32 to 34mm in front and from 19 to 22 in back relative to base Scat Packs. These hollow bars are now the same diameter as the Hellcat's solid ones. New Bilstein three-mode adjustable shocks are borrowed from the Hellcats but are uniquely tuned to match this spring/bar setup, the weight of the lighter naturally aspirated engine, and to work with the big 305/35ZR20 Pirelli P Zero three-season (or P Zero Nero all-season) tires. Note that by contrast, the Redeye Widebody is just a Widebody package on a Redeye with no fundamental tuning changes. "

Source: https://www.motortrend.com/cars/dod...2-widebody-hellcat-redeye-first-drive-review/

The widebody is an amazing upgrade from base, and I couldn't be happier with mine. Go Scat Widebody. It matches the lap time of the original Hellcat at GingerMan.

Also you guys saw it here, my car is an SRT, proven! @A Guy

·
Registered
10,154 Posts
I went through the SP vs HC scenario when I ordered my '16.

Went with the SP and I've been totally satisfied with it.

I have zero thoughts that I wish I would have went with a HC.

It fits the needs that I wanted.

Reactions: Iamstubb

·
Registered
15,851 Posts
I'd split the difference and take a Scat Pack Widebody!

And don't forget, maybe a limited or no warranty at all on that used Hellcat.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
Hellcat

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,909 Posts
The reality is a Hellcat will cost you more in virtually every way possible, except ego. If paying more for insurance, monthly payments, gas mileage and such are not an issue, but you still can't actually USE the extra power in your area, then I don't see the point. As many times as my wife's given me the go ahead to buy a Hellcat (if I listened to her every time,I'd be bankrupt), I just haven't been able to justify it. People drive like snails around here in the FL panhandle. I can't even fully use the ability of my SRT 392. I'd just assume invest the extra cash not spent on a Hellcat into something that grows in value, rather than loses value right off the lot. No need to keep up with the Joneses because, well ah, the Joneses don't have a Hellcat either.

·
Registered
2019 AWD SXT +
614 Posts
My commute today was a perfect example. Never got over 40 the entire way. So I do hear my wife in my head saying where are you going to use 707 hp. I tell her it's just knowing you have it but unless you go to a track consistently or live in a wide open rural area, I have to say she's right. But at the end of the day, if we love cars we love more hp so many times the struggle within ourselves crops up.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,668 Posts
Good afternoon,

Even though I seldom make any real "use" of the Hellcat's full power -- it just isn't really feasible on the street -- I still get a kick out of the car. The power is insane.

I do not track the car nor even engage in any stop light gran prix races.

However, is this insane power along with any ego pumping HC provides sufficient to make up for the negatives? Only you can decide.

The HC is not my daily driver though I use it for my 60 mile work commute 2 times a week or the very infrequent -- every other month or so -- 120 mile drive to my sister's house for a visit.

Gas mileage sucks: 15mpg average most of the time. Highway mileage a bit better close to 20mpg.

Parking lots are a pain. The nose often scrapes going in or out of a parking lot drive. Parking spaces are shrinking. For errands I seldom use the HC. (My 2nd car is a MINI JCW which is a real good commuter car and errand car and can dang near park anywhere.)

Insurance is not an issue. Gas mileage is not that big a deal. While 15mpg is lousy the cost is not budget buster for me.

The HC is a very comfortable car to drive. (But so too was my Scat Pack.) And I am a bit spoiled by the A8. Makes those drives on city streets in traffic from the office to the BART station to drop off a co-worker easy work even if I elect to manually shift the transmission which I often do.

On the freeway cruising at the speed limit with the auto in 8th gear has the engine RPMs around 1200 or so but even so passing power is not a problem though traffic seldom allows for much passing as all lanes of the freeway are full of vehicles.

Speaking of the Scat Pack, back in late 2017 I did some "research" and concluded the Scat Pack and its engine was to me the best choice of car. The 6.4l engine is pretty sophisticated, makes good power, and the engine and car are rather uncomplicated as modern cars can be.

So on Dec. 17, 2017 I bought a new 2018 Scat Pack. Then I started reading up on Hellcats... Oh oh. Big mistake. I had to have a Hellcat.

Long story short 2 months -- to the day -- after I bought the Scat Pack I traded it in and bought a Hellcat. (In hindsight I should have at least kept the Scat Pack rather than trade it in.)

With the benefit of even more hindsight with the HC while I have a much more powerful car, and a sophisticated engine in its own right, I also have a much more complex engine and car, primarily the presence of the supercharger and the inter cooler cooling system.

I have to wonder how the HC will fare as the miles accumulate how will the supercharger and its complex drive system fare? What issues will arise from the inter cooler cooling system over time?

(One of my previous cars was a Porsche 996 Turbo. One of the reasons I decided to sell the car with 161K miles on it even though the engine and the car were in fine shape was the complexity of the two turbos and the boost control systems. The turbos cost $4000 or more should they go bad and they go go bad -- seals at least -- though bearing deterioration can also be a problem. So I got rid of a car because of its extra complexity and then turned about and bought a similarly complex new car, the Hellcat. The JCW is a bit complex too being fitted with a dual scroll turbo and variable valve timing and variable intake valve lift.)

My opinion of the HC is not the point I want to get rid of it and replace it with a Scat Pack. But I in some ways regret my decision to trade in the Scat Pack for the Hellcat.

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Spent a fortune in the past to get more power on every muscle car I ever got my hands on and there were many. Folks thought I had lost my mind when I pulled the engine on a new 70 RR before the first oil change was due. That's just one example of this need for speed that has been here since day one. As technology made it more difficult for us hot rodders to make changes other than bolt on's such as superchargers, followed by expensive dyno time after any small change. The 392 was not a temptation, but the Hellcat had me in it's sights for some time and came close to owning one on several occasions. When the Demon arrived last year, that was the breaking point and I couldn't resist the temptation any longer. Some say it's a ego thing but I could care less, it just totally satisfies my HP cravings to the max. Get what turns you on and to hell what others think...

HOT ROD ON

·
Registered
301 Posts
Even though I seldom make any real "use" of the Hellcat's full power -- it just isn't really feasible on the street -- I still get a kick out of the car. The power is insane.

I do not track the car nor even engage in any stop light gran prix races.

However, is this insane power along with any ego pumping HC provides sufficient to make up for the negatives? Only you can decide.

The HC is not my daily driver though I use it for my 60 mile work commute 2 times a week or the very infrequent -- every other month or so -- 120 mile drive to my sister's house for a visit.

Gas mileage sucks: 15mpg average most of the time. Highway mileage a bit better close to 20mpg.

Parking lots are a pain. The nose often scrapes going in or out of a parking lot drive. Parking spaces are shrinking. For errands I seldom use the HC. (My 2nd car is a MINI JCW which is a real good commuter car and errand car and can dang near park anywhere.)

Insurance is not an issue. Gas mileage is not that big a deal. While 15mpg is lousy the cost is not budget buster for me.

The HC is a very comfortable car to drive. (But so too was my Scat Pack.) And I am a bit spoiled by the A8. Makes those drives on city streets in traffic from the office to the BART station to drop off a co-worker easy work even if I elect to manually shift the transmission which I often do.

On the freeway cruising at the speed limit with the auto in 8th gear has the engine RPMs around 1200 or so but even so passing power is not a problem though traffic seldom allows for much passing as all lanes of the freeway are full of vehicles.

Speaking of the Scat Pack, back in late 2017 I did some "research" and concluded the Scat Pack and its engine was to me the best choice of car. The 6.4l engine is pretty sophisticated, makes good power, and the engine and car are rather uncomplicated as modern cars can be.

So on Dec. 17, 2017 I bought a new 2018 Scat Pack. Then I started reading up on Hellcats... Oh oh. Big mistake. I had to have a Hellcat.

Long story short 2 months -- to the day -- after I bought the Scat Pack I traded it in and bought a Hellcat. (In hindsight I should have at least kept the Scat Pack rather than trade it in.)

With the benefit of even more hindsight with the HC while I have a much more powerful car, and a sophisticated engine in its own right, I also have a much more complex engine and car, primarily the presence of the supercharger and the inter cooler cooling system.

I have to wonder how the HC will fare as the miles accumulate how will the supercharger and its complex drive system fare? What issues will arise from the inter cooler cooling system over time?

(One of my previous cars was a Porsche 996 Turbo. One of the reasons I decided to sell the car with 161K miles on it even though the engine and the car were in fine shape was the complexity of the two turbos and the boost control systems. The turbos cost $4000 or more should they go bad and they go go bad -- seals at least -- though bearing deterioration can also be a problem. So I got rid of a car because of its extra complexity and then turned about and bought a similarly complex new car, the Hellcat. The JCW is a bit complex too being fitted with a dual scroll turbo and variable valve timing and variable intake valve lift.)

My opinion of the HC is not the point I want to get rid of it and replace it with a Scat Pack. But I in some ways regret my decision to trade in the Scat Pack for the Hellcat.
Maybe we can work out a del to swap cars once in a while!;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I sold a Jaguar F Type AWD R for my SPWB and couldn’t be happier with my decision. Reasons... the Jag although beautiful and crazy fast. It just wasn’t for me. I had it tuned to 605 HP and could do a 0-60 in 3.2. While fun, it was more power than I could use. It was rare that I could ever get 1/2 way into the peddle aside from the occasional fast start at a light which eventually got old. Not to mention it was too small for me, had a stiff ride, no storage space, was hard to see out of, and had very high on-road costs.

This taught me a lesson about ego and the need for top of the line power / speed... the SPWB really hits a sweet spot in the line up and while still very fast, it has more usable power with lots of space and all the creature comforts. It’s a great car and gets as many looks and compliments as the Jag did.

In the end it’s too each his own though... If you plan on going to the drag strip get the HC, but if you are looking for power that you can use every day, get the SP. Your wallet will probably thank you too.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
If you’re on the edge go with the Hellcat. I traded my 2010 SRT8 in on a 2016 Scatpack. The car had all the bells and whistles except the HK stereo. 6 months later I traded it in on a Hellcat. I would have saved a lot of cash if I skipped the Scatpack. The fuel economy with the Black key is right there with the Scatpack.( or so I’m told ) . I never used the Black key. Mine is not a daily driver and I never really raced it. I’ve played with a few mustangs,Camaros and some Vettes. The Scatpack was a nice car but just not a Hellcat. Now I’m itching for a RE WB.
B3E0B556-C318-4327-8FEE-313035C6F2DE.jpeg

·
Registered
249 Posts
I went SPS and rarely if ever feel like I short changed myself. Love the look of the shaker over the HC and honestly the widebody has never really tripped my trigger. Often I find myself thinking, “I can’t imagine 200 more hp than this.” One thing to note, I live in a rural area so I get to drive fast pretty often. Ok, like every time I’m behind the wheel, and it’s got more go in it than I can give it most of the time. One other benefit is that the car will be paid off this winter and had I gone HC, it’d have added at least another year plus a higher payment. I have no plans to upgrade or get rid of the car. Perfectly content.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts