Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if you guys with give me any pros or cons choosing between a 2013 SRT8 or newer Challenger RT with the 8 speed transmission. I'm not too worried about the interior redesign. Can you guys lean me one way or another to help with decision?

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
9,275 Posts
When you say Challenger R/T are you talking a 5.7 Hemi or the Scat Pack version with the 392 Hemi? If you are comparing 2013 SRT to a 5.7 Hemi R/T the big obvious difference would be power, about 100 more ponies with the SRT.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I was wondering if you guys with give me any pros or cons choosing between a 2013 SRT8 or newer Challenger RT with the 8 speed transmission. I'm not too worried about the interior redesign. Can you guys lean me one way or another to help with decision?
You cant go wrong with anything with the 6.4 L 392 in it. It is an awesome powerhouse. the one I had was a 6M and it was a Beast. My Cat has the A8 and it is an awesome shifting auto trans, with the paddle shifters I don't miss the M6 at all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. I sold a 13 Challenger Rt 5.7 I had, and I have missed it since. I went to look for another one and they had a 2016 Challenger RT 5.7 and 2013 Challenger SRT8 for same price point. I was leaning toward the SRT8 but wanted to see if any things besides the new trans that would sway me one way or the other. Hopefully they don't sell the SRT8 before I make up my mind.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
What is this price point? If you can score a used Scat Pack for the same price point that would be ideal as the 392/A8 combo is in a class of its own with respect to performance in the non-Hellcat models. That way you're with the front of the pack with most challengers for a while :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The price point is at 30,000. The 2013 SRT8 only has 5 thousand miles on it. I would love to get a newer Scat Pack for maybe 4 grand more but I'm already pushing what I wanted to spend. Now I'll be leaving out of town for about 5 days and hoping they don't sell the SRT8 before I get back in town. I will be bummed.

·
Registered
190 Posts
The 6.4 is the way to go. Great motor. I would love an A8 6.4 but I was just buying mine as a toy and mid 30s was out of my price range for that use (I was looking in the mid/upper 20s)

30 isn't bad with that low mileage. I faced a similar dilemma. Newer R/T or previous body/interior 6.4. Went with the SRT392 No regrets.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
The 8 speed is a great transmission however 100 more horse power will beat it every time (besides at the gas pump).

·
Registered
724 Posts
Don't do something you will be kicking your self in the ass later on. In 1968 we went looking for a new Road Runner Plymouth and the 426 hemi was a $650 dollar option and the wife said we better get the 383 to save on gas. I am still kicking my self lol. 6.4 all the way no mater if it has the a5 or a8 tranny.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
One more consideration. If you plan on doing any autocross or track days at road courses (which if you've seen any of my posts you know that's my leaning) then those 6 piston Brembos on front are hard to ignore on the SRT's. I really wish that I could afford to go SRT8 now, I have had a blast putting over 120,000 miles on my 2010 R/T Classic but after my brother bought his HC I sure wish I had more power and bigger brakes. Just saying . . .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts