Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Purchasing 1st Challenger; is Speeding ticket inevitable?

5K views 40 replies 23 participants last post by  A Guy 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello all,

New to Challengers and just wanted to get some opinions from owners on the this self-explanatory topic. Really like Challengers but don't need too go anything crazy like 30+ MPH over the speed limit.

Is it difficult to go the speed limit in a Challenger? Do cops target these cars?

Thanks for all the feedback.

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Welcome to Challengertalk ;) It doesn't matter what car you drive, it's how you drive it. I have zero tickets. But many buy as powerful a car as they can, and drive it that way. Yes, a Challenger will get attention, but I don't think more so than any other speeding car. If you always let someone else lead, you will have better odds. Most cops will go for the worst offender...but it's never a given. In any case, unless you are unable to control yourself, it's no reason not to get a Challenger.

A Guy

Reactions: F8HemiRT
#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Any muscle car is a heat score. Sometimes it depends on the cop. I was out for a leisure drive with my youngest adult son one night a couple years back, and I was followed by a cop for about 5 miles with his brights on. He was tailing me most of the way too. I gave him no reason to do it. This was thru town hitting about 10 or more stop lights. I think he was thinking I was going to let her go? Don’t give these guys a reason to pull u over. Even a chirp of the tires which isn’t hard, you have a high chance of being pulled over regardless of what car your driving.

#5 · (Edited)
Been pulled over twice in my Challenger and both times the cops were surprised to see an old fart behind the wheel. No ticket either time thank goodness and on both occasion I wasn't speeding so they were obviously just looking for something to right me up for but us old farts aren't stupid and they know my lawyer will tear them a new azz for harassment if nothing else. Do I speed in my Challenger? Not really but I do like to rocket up to the speed limit. LOL
When I'm done commuting and not caring about fuel economy I'll be in a SP 393 or a Cat. Don't let the cops scare you and keep you from your dream car. The new mid engine Corvettes are nice to and I may drive one of those also you just never know where your dreams may lead you on the asphalt trail. Have fun and keep it between the ditches. LOL
I forgot to add I haven't had a ticket since I was in college over 40 yrs ago.

#6 ·
All about the driver. I'm sure there's ppl in camrys & minivans that have worse driving records than most of us or stang/camaro folks.

Should also say it's about being smart - pick your spots, don't be a jackass around civilians, (try to) always remember you're on the street and not the track, until you ARE on the track!

I'm sure I'm not alone when I say it's taken me some time, luck & hindsight to realize 'just because you can doesn't mean you should'. Also very sure I'm not alone when I say people try to race me all the time. 99% of them get a thumbs up or a wave because it's just not worth it (at this point...when I was younger/dumber, well you know...)

Also a good radar detector doesn't hurt - not a guarantee you won't get lazed & busted but can save your butt if your mind/right foot wander.

#8 ·
Hello all,

New too challengers and just wanted too get some opinions from owners on the this self-explanatory topic. Really like challengers but don't need too go anything crazy like 30+ MPH over the speed limit.

Is it difficult too go the speed limit in a challenger? Do cops target these cars?

Thanks for all feedback
Way back when I bought my Mustang GT -- my first muscle car -- I was worried about tickets and sales manager told me "Relax. They can't give you a ticket for horsepower."

So I repeat this advise: Relax. You can't get a ticket for horsepower.

Never received a ticket in my 2006 GTO -- in nearly 50K miles of driving -- and it had 400hp. The most powerful car I had owned up until then. But I got a ticket while my 90hp VW Golf TDi.

You can and will get a ticket for how you drive. I will offer that -- and I've been told this -- that LEOs do in some cases hold owners/drivers of high performance cars to a higher "standard". In one case I failed to signal a lane change. I did not cut anyone off and made the lane change in a safe manner. But I was pulled over and given the "big" lecture. I was in my Porsche Turbo. Oh, and I was in AZ and was pulled over by an AZ state trooper. (On I-40 just at the west exit for Williams AZ.)

I note I was pulled over for failing to signal. Yet I had some time before this -- a previous road trip through AZ -- observed a vehicle change lanes right in front of an AZ state trooper's car. No signal and the lane change was so abrupt the state trooper car brake lights lit up. I was thinking ok I'm going to see the driver get pulled over. But I followed a long time and the trooper never pulled the car over.

And while maybe 10mph over is ok if you happen to be driving some run of the mill car in your Challenger I wouldn't count on being able to do this.

Really I drive my my Hellcat like a cop's eyes are on my car all the time. It is price one pays for driving such a car.

Now some owners claim to drive daily like the car was stolen and claim to never get pulled over. Well, I have driven nearly 1M miles and I have been pulled over enough to know I can't get away with -- for long -- by driving over the limit -- I never run stop signs/lights and never violate other traffic laws -- so I don't risk it. In fact I have been pulled over a few times when I was not speeding. On a road with a number of run of the mill cars, SUVs, pickup trucks, and one sports car -- Porsche -- which car do you think is going to be noticed when the trooper's radar alarms at a too high a speed? While this hasn't happened with me in my Hellcat I have not ventured out on the open road in it like did with my other cars.

#9 ·
Kist
A little clarification here, that car was not a real GTO just like dodges poor excuse for a charger isn’t either, they just reused a popular name or it would’ve failed completely.
Since when did holden manufacture the Pontiac brand? There is a guy nearby with a gold jelly bean and in large script letters on the back bumper says “purrs & gurgles”. It’s not any different than a 2 door Accord or Altima, it’s just a marketing campaign that was just ok. That’s just my opinion, you’re all entitled to yours. I’m from a different time and wouldn’t change it for anything.
They should have called it the Holden Jelly Bean.

#12 ·
I'm able to view Waze on my screen via Android Auto. I don't drive stupidly but my new to me challenger hides the sensation of speed I get with my Ram or vintage muscle. Waze users are pretty accurate when it comes to marking speed traps etc.

#13 ·
Hello all,

New too challengers and just wanted too get some opinions from owners on the this self-explanatory topic. Really like challengers but don't need too go anything crazy like 30+ MPH over the speed limit.

Is it difficult too go the speed limit in a challenger? Do cops target these cars?

Thanks for all feedback
To*, not too ;)

Have I sped in this car? Oh hell yes. Is it hard not to? For me, it's only hard not to when the roads are empty and there are usually no cops in that particular area. I hit triple digits on the rural highway coming out of my military base the other day because it was largely deserted.

The great thing about these cars is they're easy to drive chill when needed.

I have noticed cops paying a little more attention to my current Challenger versus my old 2001 Durango, but it's not a bright color, so unless they hear my exhaust (much louder than stock), they don't follow me around much.

#14 ·
I've had my scat all of two days and one of the first things I did was set a speed warning. I felt it would be easy to creep to 10-15 mph over the limit and not realize it. I've also told myself that I have to be diligent in town and such where before I might have gone 32 in a 25 for example - nobody will care in a dart or a jeep - but in a bright orange challenger all the sudden cops might start caring.

#15 ·
Speeding is speeding, you trip their preset number and grandma can be in a 53 Chevy and the cop will pull her over too. We may think our cars are special but they are not.
I don’t get a second look and I’m in a bright yellow car. I get cut off so often, I must be invisible.

#16 ·
If you drive sensibly, getting a ticket is just bad luck- being in the wrong place at the wrong time. In 12 years, I have never been stopped in my 2009 SRT (Hemi-orange) but I was caught "speeding" doing 36 mph in a 25 mph zone in my wife's 2017 Santa Fe SUV.

#18 ·
It's very simple. I learned a loooong time ago that, for fun, there is a time and a place for everything..and that time and place is NOT everywhere, all the time. In other words, drive like a Tw@t, expect to get trated like a Tw@t. Otherwise, relax ;):)

#21 ·
I’m just saying it plain and simple, if you trip the radar they will come no matter what we may be driving. You need to do something to catch their attention first. My friend has a 1000+ horsepower 66 Vette with a huge blower through the hood, loud as hell and never gets pulled over. He even has massive slicks tucked in there, it’s more a track car than a street car. It’s all about who’s driving.

#24 ·
It depends on you. I have an 11 classic with 5% windows and SLP loudmouths. Which if you don’t know are Loud as hell. I’ve had it for 2 years and haven’t had a ticket nor have I been pulled over . I do wot runs daily usually never going 10 over the limit. Jus gotta know the roads and not do it in stupid places or where there’s other people l.

#26 ·
With Scat Pack it's been 4 years and 13k miles with no tickets and no stops. The Ram, not so good. 3 stops and 1 ticket in nine years. The other 2 I was lucky to get off with a warning. One let me go because the GPS info did not agree with new speed limit signs the other just got out of the hospital less than 5 minutes before getting pulled over. Big hurry to get home and to bed. Nice cop, let me off but could have a nailed me for 65 in a 45 zone.

#29 ·
This has happened to me a couple times. I worked 3rd shift when I got my 2019 Challenger SXT. It's a destroyer gray with pulse racing stripes along the top. So, at lunch break, around 2 a.m., I go out to town to get some food about a mile down from where I work and I get followed by cops thinking I'll be drag racing down this particular strip which is a hot spot for street racing. So, I stick to the speed limit and drive like I'm taking my first drivers license test. They leave me alone.

Another time, nighttime, I was on the freeway going about 70 mph and an SUV was riding my ass, so I sped up a little and change lanes to the right to let him pass. When he got side by side with me, I noticed that it's a CHP unit and he was taunting me to race him thinking I wasn't aware he's a cop. By this time ive already slowed down to about 65 mph and he just passed me. Maybe he was getting off his shift and just wanted to go home but it was a close one for me! Lol!

#33 ·
  1. I thought like you when I got my scat pack a year ago. I thought I was gonna get pulled over by every cop I saw, but the most attention i have gotten from police is a thumbs up. When you first get it luck will probably be what keeps you from getting a ticket because you are going to open her up on the road and then after a short time the need to see what it will do will get out of your system. I dont care what anyone on here says, you won't be able to keep yourself from experiencing the power on the road when you first get it, everyone does, you just have to be smart and safe as possible about it. Dont do it in town or around traffic, go out to the boondocks and get it out of your system. The only problem is the need to feel that power never really gets out of your system, that's why we buy these cars in the first place. Be smart and be safe. Ignore the asshats that try and goad you into to doing something dangerous out on the road.

#36 ·
I end up driving faster in my wife's 19' Charger SXT Plus than in my Challenger R/T. The Charger is silent and rides sooooo good that there is no feeling of speed. So, cruise control at all times no matter what my butt speed-o-meter says!!!!! I do use the CC on my Challenger R/T..........after I've "run it thur the gears"........and it slows back down to 60 MPH.

#40 ·
What I did was put a big rock under the gas pedal works like a charm.depending on the size of the rock will determine your tickets i went with x-large and I’ve got no problems

#41 ·
Oh UNDER...that's what I did wrong

A Guy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.