Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like some opinions - I'm thinking of getting my first Challenger, a 2008 SRT, 1500-miles, as new condition. Got him down to $36k with a 4-yr additional warranty. Is this still too much? Appreciate the advice.:)

JAMESGANG

·
Registered
220 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Agreed.

With the price of a NEW leftover 2010 SRT-8 fully loaded being between $35,000-$40,000 a USED 2008 should be somewhere around the $30,000 mark (and only if it's in EXCELLENT condition)

It's all well and good that he wants top dollar for his car and i'm sure it's in FINE condition but the sad reality of the car market is that you can have newer and better for the same or cheaper than what he's asking.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Would like some opinions - I'm thinking of getting my first Challenger, a 2008 SRT, 1500-miles, as new condition. Got him down to $36k with a 4-yr additional warranty. Is this still too much? Appreciate the advice.:)

JAMESGANG
Unless you're paying 100% cash (don't suppose most of us folks on the forum do) consider that finance rates are higher from the bank for a used car (even with only 1500 miles on it) than for a new vehicle.

for example, if you financed $30000 of the purchase say over five years:

@ 5% pay $566/month total $33968

@ 8% pay $608/month total $36498

So you're paying additional $2530 in interest at higher rate - and I'm sure you
could get a new 2010 SRT for $38500 and get an interest rate a few
% lower than obtainable for a used car. Great deals are available on leftover 2010's.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for your advice. I am really getting tired of looking and negotiating! The absolute best deal, and I do mean absolute, I can get from any dealer anywhere near my area (northern WI), for a fully loaded 2010 SRT8 is $42,200. Oh, and I got into quite an argument with the dealer that I bought a new RAM Laramie from last year - he could possible get me into a new SRT for around $40k, but definitely not a SRT8. This is after I repeatedly told him i wanted a fully loaded SRT8! What the heck is the difference?

I'm sure you can feel my frustration coming through. I keep going back to this 2008 SRT8, fully loaded, 1700-miles, with a 4-yr bumper-to-bumper warranty for $36,000, with a 3-yr loan under 4%.

I really wanted a Challenger, I have the money, I just can't get anyone to "deal". :scratchhead: I've actually been looking at the Corvettes! Maybe I'll just close my eyes while I'm in my RAM (at least IT has a HEMI!) and pretend I'm driving the Challenger that I've always wanted - I'd better keep at least one eye open though. Thanks again to all.

JAMESGANG

·
Registered
172 Posts

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Thanks all for your advice. I am really getting tired of looking and negotiating! The absolute best deal, and I do mean absolute, I can get from any dealer anywhere near my area (northern WI), for a fully loaded 2010 SRT8 is $42,200. Oh, and I got into quite an argument with the dealer that I bought a new RAM Laramie from last year - he could possible get me into a new SRT for around $40k, but definitely not a SRT8. This is after I repeatedly told him i wanted a fully loaded SRT8! What the heck is the difference?

I'm sure you can feel my frustration coming through. I keep going back to this 2008 SRT8, fully loaded, 1700-miles, with a 4-yr bumper-to-bumper warranty for $36,000, with a 3-yr loan under 4%.

I really wanted a Challenger, I have the money, I just can't get anyone to "deal". :scratchhead: I've actually been looking at the Corvettes! Maybe I'll just close my eyes while I'm in my RAM (at least IT has a HEMI!) and pretend I'm driving the Challenger that I've always wanted - I'd better keep at least one eye open though. Thanks again to all.

JAMESGANG
I just went online and did a search. There are several new 2010 SRT8 available at Antioch Chrysler Dodge/Jeep which is in northern Illinois. They are going for $9,000 under sticker for around $37,500. Hope this helps. These are online listed prices.

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
I have a 2009 with <3000 miles and I think that price is too much.
Also the 2008 I think does not have a limited slip differential which is a negative to me.

·
Registered
220 Posts
If the local dealers are not willing to negotiate and you can save $9-10K by taking a trip to pick it up that is the obvious solution. Even if you dont want to pick it up, shipping will likely be less than $1K from most places in the country.

When I decided to stop waiting for the 2011s I built what I wanted on the Dodge website and searched dealers all over the country by looking up zipcodes of major metropolitan areas with an airport. I then used the "make an offer" function the website offers. While most either ignored the offer or countered with a much higher offer, one countered just slightly higher than my initial offer. I ended up buying it and having it shipped to me for less than all the other counteroffers I received. This method simply requires some time at the computer. It only takes one place that is motivated to sell.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Remember that the 2008 is the first year of the new Challenger. That might be worth something extra...specially in the long run.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Jamesgang,
I live near Wausau and no one would deal with me within 100 miles. Finally I got on Cars.com and checked out the dealerships in the Chicago area. The first one gave me 6K off of MSRP. Then when you call their competitors the prices start looking really good. The next weekend I drove 5 hours to chicago with my trade in and came back with my pride and joy.

Dennis

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks again for all the advice - I'm still looking, but the best I can find is at $42k for a fully loaded, new 2010 SRT8, orange, with an automatic (it has to be an auto due to a leg injury). 42k still seems like quite a bit for a 1-yr-old model, but I'm quite specific in what I want. Thanks again to all!:)

JAMESGANG

·
Registered
118 Posts
My 2010 SRT8 6 spd, you don't even have to pd, No Sunroof, everything else, 35,756 +TTLD; 38296.30 OTD. That's the fact, Jack. If they won't deal, look at another STATE. Hell, why do you even need to be in the same STATE(this is America, buy what you want, where you want)? There were dealers in Michigan who were bummed that I didn't buy from them - at 9100 off(actually pissed, they want to get rid of them). Minnie's far, but not 10k FAR. f your local dealers. Go to Michigan.

One dealer kept telling me about how I could legally get out of a contract I had signed with another dealer.

Place a call down south. They want nothing more then to get rid of these cars in Michigan

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I just went online and did a search. There are several new 2010 SRT8 available at Antioch Chrysler Dodge/Jeep which is in northern Illinois. They are going for $9,000 under sticker for around $37,500. Hope this helps. These are online listed prices.
I bought my car from them at around 8K off sticker (R/T Classic). They are pretty good. You won't be able to get them any lower though. I tried hard. They only have 2-3 yellow SRTs left though.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f16/f-s-2010-dodge-challenger-srt8-189-miles-mint-west-des-moines-iowa-55676/

It might be worth driving a little bit to get a great deal. THis looks like a super deal here.

There are dealers here in Indiana that are giving 12k and more off the stickers of 2010 SRT's. I wish I would have waited now, could have got an SRT for what I paid for the R/T
That one is Iowa is a great deal for someone looking for a 6 speed. I should have bought it now that I think about it since it would have been about 6 grand more than mine... Anyway, I paid $29,962 for my 2010 R/T Classic last month. It would have cost me about $7,500 more to buy the SRT-8 from the same place, which was the difference anyway on the stickers initially. The difference between the models is still the same, the price is just 8-9k lower across the board now. I wouldn't buy a 2008-2010 SRT-8 now that the new 392 is out though. I would wait for it to be discounted at the end of the year (40k or less) OR when they come out with some decent colors again. That is my plan eventually. For now, enjoying my R/T!

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Thanks again for all the advice - I'm still looking, but the best I can find is at $42k for a fully loaded, new 2010 SRT8, orange, with an automatic (it has to be an auto due to a leg injury). 42k still seems like quite a bit for a 1-yr-old model, but I'm quite specific in what I want. Thanks again to all!:)

JAMESGANG
i was getting offers of $42k off 8 months ago (last Fall)
and those were without bargaining..

you have a bad dealer who is $4k+ out of line....$8-10k off is where you should be...go to cars.com and e-mail a dozen dealers...let them bargain for your business...last time i did it i got $8k off within 8 hours without leaving home....drive 100 miles and find a different dealer

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I'm officially done looking! I spent the entire night online searching for my challenger (hemi-orange, fully-loaded, automatic) - after looking over the entire midwest and hundreds of dealers, I could only find a handfull of cars with auto, there are plenty of 6-speeds, but as I said I have to have an auto. I contacted all the dealers and the best, I mean best offer I got was just over $40K.

So, for all of you who got or are getting great deals, congrats and more power to ya - it just aint happenin with me! Thanks again for all the advice.

JAMESGANG

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well it's not the midwest but my local dealer has 5 SRT8 HO autos on the lot. Their internet site is showing 13k discount. I know you probably won't get that but it might be worth the call. Orange Coast Chrysler Dodge Costa Mesa, CA 92626

1 - 19 of 19 Posts