Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I am honing in on a pair of 2016 Challenger Scat Packs from the same dealership.

Both vehicles look to be taken care of and have what I consider low miles. Links to each are below:

More Mile Option and cheaper but includes more options than the other.
https://texasdirectauto.com/for-sale/challenger/vehicle/2C3CDZFJ1GH264375

Lesser miles and was able to test drive this vehicle. Felt great, loved the car and one less option than the first vehicle.
https://texasdirectauto.com/for-sale/challenger/vehicle/2C3CDZFJ9GH213965

I have never purchased a vehicle on my own so knowing the deal makes sense is what I'm shooting for. I will be trading in a vehicle with $3k-4k net equity towards the price and looking for a $<=500 payment. I don't believe the dealership will haggle much as they are a volume dealer.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I would google car buying/finance advice. I came upon several articles by Edmunds, Kelly blue book, Nada Guides, etc all over the web during my research. One mistake is coming in with a monthly payment in mind. I would focus more on total cost out of pocket. Also make sure your credit score is good. You can get that checked free thru credit karma phone app to give you an idea. Also consider how long the car has been sitting on their lot. If its been sitting for several months, there may be wiggle room to negotiate.
Another option is finding a brand new 2017 model at a Dodge lot as there are many rebates and incentives. My local dealer was asking $33,500 for a brand new 2017 TA with a sticker tag of $40,800, to give you an idea. Good luck on your buying adventure :smile:

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Yes check new before jumping into the used. The end of year deals may be TOO hard to resist. You will get a better finance rate. Or really low ball one of the white ones. Really convenience is all I consider I NEED. So shop and really drive a hard bargain. Walk out and let them call you back........they will. Let us know. Good luck. Timing is on YOUR side! Don't lose sight of that.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would google car buying/finance advice. I came upon several articles by Edmunds, Kelly blue book, Nada Guides, etc all over the web during my research. One mistake is coming in with a monthly payment in mind. I would focus more on total cost out of pocket. Also, make sure your credit score is good. You can get that checked free thru credit karma phone app to give you an idea. Also, consider how long the car has been sitting on their lot. If it's been sitting for several months, there may be wiggle room to negotiate.
Another option is finding a brand new 2017 model at a Dodge lot as there are many rebates and incentives. My local dealer was asking $33,500 for a brand new 2017 TA with a sticker tag of $40,800, to give you an idea. Good luck on your buying adventure :smile:
My credit is great and I believe the higher mileage vehicle was a lease in the Colorado area according to its auction location. The 8k mileage vehicle was a direct trade in I believe. Given the reputation of the dealership, I believe they move cars very quickly as they offer a weekday shuttle service to the airport for out of town pickups. I have read many complaints of people physically at the dealership haggling pricing and someone barging in stating the car sold online already via someone made the deposit online. Even saw someone mention they took a test drive and when we got back they told him to look at another vehicle because it was sold online between the time they got in the car to drive it and parked it. My issue here is a necessary option is the convenience package and not so the tech, but I also like the lower pricing.

I've typically used AutoTrader but what are other suggested sites for looking local/state listed vehicles?

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
My credit is great and I believe the higher mileage vehicle was a lease in the Colorado area according to its auction location. The 8k mileage vehicle was a direct trade in I believe. Given the reputation of the dealership, I believe they move cars very quickly as they offer a weekday shuttle service to the airport for out of town pickups. I have read many complaints of people physically at the dealership haggling pricing and someone barging in stating the car sold online already via someone made the deposit online. Even saw someone mention they took a test drive and when we got back they told him to look at another vehicle because it was sold online between the time they got in the car to drive it and parked it. My issue here is a necessary option is the convenience package and not so the tech, but I also like the lower pricing.

I've typically used AutoTrader but what are other suggested sites for looking local/state listed vehicles?
True Convenience pkg. is the only must. Did you look through the dodge.com site? Pick the car you want and search 200 miles and look on the dealers site's. Big price gap! That's what I did. Good luck, but for the money you are talking you may want to lease a new one. I did. Lease to buy. But that is a long term deal. My final fun car.

·
Super Moderator
15,363 Posts
I'd go for the higher mileage one - it has more options on it. The primary

PS: the no floormats and one key is nonsense.

These came with floormats and two keys as standard...at the very least the dealer should give you and 2nd key and program it for the price they're asking for. From a dealer a 2nd key & programming will probably run $350-400 for that.

the major item is the Technology Grp option [Auto Cruise Control, Rain Sensing Wipers] on the higher mileage example.

Both pretty much have the same options otherwise:
>Sunroof
>SP Appearance Pkg
>Driver Conv Grp
>Sound Grp II audio [can see the tweeters in the rear quarter panels]
>WRT wheels
>Leather Int Grp
>Nav

·
Registered
96 Posts
I picked up a highly optioned out 2015 srt 392 for $32k two weeks ago. yes, its a year older than what you are looking at, but for $5k, better resale, and more options than you are pricing out, it is worth it

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
I'd go for the higher mileage one - it has more options on it. The primary

PS: the no floormats and one key is nonsense.

These came with floormats and two keys as standard...at the very least the dealer should give you and 2nd key and program it for the price they're asking for. From a dealer a 2nd key & programming will probably run $350-400 for that.

the major item is the Technology Grp option [Auto Cruise Control, Rain Sensing Wipers] on the higher mileage example.

Both pretty much have the same options otherwise:
>Sunroof
>SP Appearance Pkg
>Driver Conv Grp
>Sound Grp II audio [can see the tweeters in the rear quarter panels]
>WRT wheels
>Leather Int Grp
>Nav

ABSOLUTELY on the keys. Used car dealers are notorious for only giving you one key. Get the money! And I would for all the stated reasons get the one without tech. IMHO. Give up 10K in mileage and money for tech...... isdon'tthinkso. HAHAAHA!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ABSOLUTELY on the keys. Used car dealers are notorious for only giving you one key. Get the money! And I would for all the stated reasons get the one without tech. IMHO. Give up 10K in mileage and money for tech...... isdon'tthinkso. HAHAAHA!
The tech package is in the higher mileage vehicle. ???

8k Mileage w/ convenience for 37.8k

or

17k Mileage w/ convenience and tech for 33.7k

It comes down to is the $4,100 in savings worth the 10k mileage given the resale/value is with the higher mileage vehicle considering the additional option. I don't plan on being in the vehicle for the life of the car. I'm 27, paying off all of my debt rapidly, saving for a house and my wife just started as an attorney. This is my just married gift to myself haha.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
The tech package is in the higher mileage vehicle. ???

8k Mileage w/ convenience for 37.8k

or

17k Mileage w/ convenience and tech for 33.7k

It comes down to is the $4,100 in savings worth the 10k mileage given the resale/value is with the higher mileage vehicle considering the additional option. I don't plan on being in the vehicle for the life of the car. I'm 27, paying off all of my debt rapidly, saving for a house and my wife just started as an attorney. This is my just married gift to myself haha.
Well congratulations!!! Well played. First my mistake! Before I would give anyone close to $38 for a used one.....I paid $40,200 for my loaded 16 scat pack new. Everything except tech and appearance grp. Found just the one I wanted!
So, look on the dodge site. If you were around here I know a place.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well congratulations!!! Well played. First my mistake! Before I would give anyone close to $38 for a used one.....I paid $40,200 for my loaded 16 scat pack new. Everything except tech and appearance grp. Found just the one I wanted!
So, look at the dodge site. If you were around here I know a place.
I seem to have issues with the vehicle search on the dodge website. Only shows 2 2017 Scat Packs within a 150mile radius from the center of Houston. Yet AutoTrader gives me 50+ new in the Houston area.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
I seem to have issues with the vehicle search on the dodge website. Only shows 2 2017 Scat Packs within a 150mile radius from the center of Houston. Yet AutoTrader gives me 50+ new in the Houston area.
OY! Well then you will have to work harder. Visit their individual websites and let the fingers do the walking (I just know that is lost on most) Good luck, this will turn out to be part of the whole story when you get it. Patiently. Time is REALLY
on your side with the time of year. SQUEEEEEZE them.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I am honing in on a pair of 2016 Challenger Scat Packs from the same dealership.

Both vehicles look to be taken care of and have what I consider low miles. Links to each are below:

More Mile Option and cheaper but includes more options than the other.
https://texasdirectauto.com/for-sale/challenger/vehicle/2C3CDZFJ1GH264375

Lesser miles and was able to test drive this vehicle. Felt great, loved the car and one less option than the first vehicle.
https://texasdirectauto.com/for-sale/challenger/vehicle/2C3CDZFJ9GH213965

I have never purchased a vehicle on my own so knowing the deal makes sense is what I'm shooting for. I will be trading in a vehicle with $3k-4k net equity towards the price and looking for a $<=500 payment. I don't believe the dealership will haggle much as they are a volume dealer.
I haven't taken the time to research the average value of these 2 cars but I did get a copy of their window Sticker as I don't like relying on the dealers list of "Vehicle Features". They're usually a mix of standard features along with options and not always accurate. One example I noticed is that these cars have the optional forged wheels but I don't think their list mentioned that.
So far I am favoring the lower priced car. I'm not positive but it looks like the dealers features list have the Technology group mixed up between the 2 cars. Look at window sticker.
View attachment First 2016 WindowSticker.pdf

View attachment 2nd 2016 WindowSticker.pdf

·
Registered
486 Posts
Looking at the values, based on NADA, which I find many dealers around me use as a guide, there should only be about $1300 difference between these 2 cars. With the lower priced one being a much better price. Apparently they only include the major options and that mileage only accounted for $1000 difference in value.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts