Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2017 R/T
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have been a long time Challenger admirer and love the retro styling of this car. I have been looking at manual 2009 - 2014 R/T models in my area with around 50K miles. I have done some basic research online and on YouTube and didn't really find anything major with the car, but again I don't really know a whole lot about Challenger and as I am in love with this car I tend to ignore the bad parts and focus on the strong features. This car will not be my daily driver, but I will be using it once or twice a week to go to my clients and use it when wife wants the first car for her own use. Basically, I need a second car that I won't be using regularly and I am thinking about filling in that gap with a Challenger.

What should I be paying attention to buying an older model of the challenger? Any particular advice you could give to a new member of this community? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
10,378 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Where are you located? If a snow state then you need to find a car that was not used when salt was on the roads. Just do lots of reading here and ask questions and you’ll learn a lot.

·
Registered
2017 R/T
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am in Illinois, so yes making sure that there is no rust. I am also okay buying a car in a different state and driving it home.

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
2,114 Posts
Start here. This is a very recent thread that has a lot of good info for you. The search function here works well. A lot of the things you are concerned about have been discussed at length. Good luck.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I'll mention a few things I find important. YMMV.

1. The auto transmission was a 5 speed until around 2014 or so (I cannot recall the specific year) and then went to the 8 speed. All reports say the 8 speed is far superior for performance.

2. The automatics have the MDS system, which many hate and attempt to circumvent. It's reportedly finicky and maybe glitchy, and reportedly has a notable failure rate and repairs are expensive. The 5.7 is a very popular engine in a lot of cars. However, it's noteworthy a lot of people have had MDS and/or lifter problems and tick noises. I cannot say anything definitively. It's important to use the best oil you can put in it, and I believe all of these recommend Pennz Ultra Plat oil which has heavy anti-wear add packs and recommend 6 month oil changes to keep it fresh.

3. I like the manual, and have a 2012 SRT manual 6 speed. The manual deletes the MDS system. Many people report the 6 speed manual is notchy. I don't find it too noticeable but it might be there if you're really focused on it. Many upgrade for about $500+/- to a aftermarket shifter to make the experience better. And $20 for a shift skip eliminator device which apparently circumvents a design lockout of certain gears at certain RPMs. I think it forces a shift only from 1st to 4th in high RPMs that people do not like the nanny feature. It's a $20 fix.

4. I think the big engine was a 6.1L in 2011 and then a 6.4L in 2012 forward in the SRT and later Scat trim levels.

5. Rust on the lower door corners was an issue in wet weather areas. Water could get up in the door panels areas and accumulate leading to rust. I read a lot of complaints. Not sure if that's been corrected but be aware.

6. Theft. The push to start, push button entry, RFID etc. are apparently absurdly easy to steal. Read up on how to disable as many convenience features like push button start and access to improve your theft deterrence, and consider aftermarket anti-theft like Ravelco ($600) or low tech like a $50 steering wheel club.

7. Rear end slinky-feeling clunk is reported commonly and apparently due to the independent rear suspension. I get it in low gears and RPMs generally from 1 to 2 if I don't feather it correctly. The consensus is that it's a feature of the design. I just learn to drive differently to avoid the clunk.

It's a fantastic car aside from the above notes. I love mine. I don't daily drive it but it gets out as a fun driver!

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker, 2010 Plum Crazy R/T Classic, 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
2,038 Posts
Hey RamesesThe2nd,

I have owned 16 Challengers, still have 4 of them and 3 are the 2010-2012 Challenger R/Ts.
Yes, some of the issues mentioned above could happen but none have happened to any of mine, so don’t let that get you down. The Best 2009-2014 models for fit, finish and performance (for the R/Ts) is definitely the 2012-2014 models. My 2012 is much better than my 2010s, steering is lighter, car has improved suspension and a host of little things that make me go wow, nice!! -Steve

·
Registered
2017 R/T
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What's the best site to search for used Challengers? There is not much available on local CL and dealers tend to bait and switch the prices. I went into a dealership last week to checkout a 2009 Challenger in orange color. They added $4500 of accessories and fees to the price before we started to negotiate. I walked out.

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
2,114 Posts
I’d be looking for private party sellers primarily. I think talking and negotiating with the current owner is way better than feeling around blindly with a used car dealer who knows zero about the car and it’s history. Especially for 7-12 year old cars. Where do you find them? Well, cars are offered for sale on this site frequently. I’d start there. I like cars.com for looking around. If you can’t find one, carmax and their competitors will have good search options.

·
Registered
2017 R/T
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks. Yeah, I am planning to stay away from dealers going forward. There is a pretty good one listed 2 hours from my location, but it is in green color and I am hoping to get one in either an orange or a dark gray color.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thanks. Yeah, I am planning to stay away from dealers going forward. There is a pretty good one listed 2 hours from my location, but it is in green color and I am hoping to get one in either an orange or a dark gray color.
What's your budget if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
2017 R/T
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
$25K OTD, i.e., $23K max going to the seller. I can push it a little bit higher, but not by much.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Ok thx, I'm gonna be putting my 18 shaker up for sale in the next month or two and thought I might offer it up to you, but it will be in the $37k range, so I was just curious about how much you wanted to spend.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,876 Posts

·
Registered
2017 R/T
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Okay gang. I have found an 09 in pretty good condition in my range and going to pull the trigger on it this coming weekend. Very low mileage and the car is garage kept its whole life. The car has 27J package, so it has leather interior, Boston Acoustics sound system with uconnect and Sirius radio capability. Does anyone know if it will allow me to connect my iPhone via BT to play music in the car? I asked the owner, but he is an older gentleman and have never used anything except CD and radio in the car, so he doesn't know.

·
Premium Member
10,378 Posts
Okay gang. I have found an 09 in pretty good condition in my range and going to pull the trigger on it this coming weekend. Very low mileage and the car is garage kept its whole life. The car has 27J package, so it has leather interior, Boston Acoustics sound system with uconnect and Sirius radio capability. Does anyone know if it will allow me to connect my iPhone via BT to play music in the car? I asked the owner, but he is an older gentleman and have never used anything except CD and radio in the car, so he doesn't know.
I would think you can do that, worst case is you’d use a cord to connect it.
Will this be a daily driver?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,876 Posts
I don't believe you can stream music in a 2009, only via a cable

A Guy

Reactions: Dennis H
1 - 20 of 71 Posts