Dodge Challenger Forum banner
21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,876 Posts
I am a huge fan of Heritage wheels.
I was until polished demon wheels came out. Now looking at the old heritage wheels I had I can't get the image of a flower pedal out of my head. One of my kids said, hey the spokes look like pedals from a flower. Now I can't unsee it. Although, I would still rock the heritage or torq thrust if the demons were not around....as I am not a fan of blacked rims. Yes I am old school...but not bell bottoms old school.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Alloy wheel Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2017 R/T
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I would think you can do that, worst case is you’d use a cord to connect it.
Will this be a daily driver?
Sort of a daily driver. I work in IT and have been working from home for the past 10+ years or so, so my work commute isn't really that much, but we only have one car right now and it is becoming a bottle neck between wife and me. The hope is to get a Challenger to use it as a second car and also as a fun car. 2 birds 1 stone.

I don't believe you can stream music in a 2009, only via a cable

A Guy
Are there any not super expensive options available to make BT audio work? BT audio streaming from my phone is pretty much the only infotainment feature I use in my current car, even though it has GPS and all the other bells and whistles.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,851 Posts
Maybe. Audio quality generally is best via a cable, then bluetooth streaming, and as a workaround, via the phone call capability. Something like

IMPORTANT NOTE: The audio is streamed to the car stereo (or other HFP device) through a protocol normally used for voice (phone calls). Therefore, the audio frequency range output will not be the same as using A2DP protocol. This is a limitation of the hardware/protocol and NOT the app.

A Guy

·
Registered
2017 R/T
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I remember A2DP protocol issues. It's such a bummer, but I guess that's a limitation you run into when buying a 12 y/o car. I will look into some new Air Play compatible systems and buy an Aux cable for now. A friend of mine had a Pioneer unit installed in his older Accord and really liked it.

Here is the picture of the car. The guy is taking it in for Pre Purchase Inspection this week and if everything checks out, I will purchase it on Sunday.

The color is Inferno red and I think he installed the stipes at some point after purchasing the car, so that's why it looks a bit different from typical 2 lines R/T stripes.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,851 Posts
That's a good looking car (y) I'm sure you'll love it

A Guy

Reactions: RamesesThe2nd

·
Registered
2017 R/T
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thank you. Yeah really excited. It was hard to find a used Challenger in my budget. This car is one owner and garage kept. Only 16k miles and new tires (replaced due to age). It has some of the fancy features missing (racing fuel cap, 20” wheels and push button start, and probably another feature or two), but I don’t really like super big wheels (I know I am in minority) and I can live with other limitations. My main requirements were v8, leather interior and low mileage in good condition. This car has the J package and almost checks all the checkboxes.

This is sitting at the very high end of my budget and I wish it was a bit cheaper, but everything is more expensive now. The current owner is in his 60s, so hopefully it is not as abused as some other challengers.

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker, 2010 Plum Crazy R/T Classic, 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
2,038 Posts
I remember A2DP protocol issues. It's such a bummer, but I guess that's a limitation you run into when buying a 12 y/o car. I will look into some new Air Play compatible systems and buy an Aux cable for now. A friend of mine had a Pioneer unit installed in his older Accord and really liked it.

Here is the picture of the car. The guy is taking it in for Pre Purchase Inspection this week and if everything checks out, I will purchase it on Sunday.

The color is Inferno red and I think he installed the stipes at some point after purchasing the car, so that's why it looks a bit different from typical 2 lines R/T stripes.

Look carefully at the front rear bumpers, the color doesn’t match between the bumpers and the bodywork. Unfortunately, red fades rather quickly on cars, especially with plastic versus metal components. Other than that, the car is very beautiful.

·
Registered
2017 R/T
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Look carefully at the front rear bumpers, the color doesn’t match between the bumpers and the bodywork. Unfortunately, red fades rather quickly on cars, especially with plastic versus metal components. Other than that, the car is very beautiful.
Good point. The seller has 4 pictures posted in the listing. This is the only picture that seems to show this difference. I think it is just lighting, but I will make sure to double check it when I go see the car in person. The car is 5 hours drive from me. I will fly there this weekend and drive it back.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Window

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,851 Posts
The bumpers often look like a different color at certain angles though. Get the Build Sheet if you have the full VIN#

A Guy

Reactions: Charles 236

·
Registered
258 Posts
Pretty color, should really pop in the sunlight. I have bought two 2010 Challengers from different states (Iowa & Illinois) & live in LI NY, lmk if you need any help with any questions.

·
Registered
2017 R/T
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Pretty color, should really pop in the sunlight. I have bought two 2010 Challengers from different states (Iowa & Illinois) & live in LI NY, lmk if you need any help with any questions.
Thanks. This car is in IA and I am in IL, so it will be a little adventure to go get this car for sure. Do you have any tips for purchasing an out of state car? What are some things I should pay attention to other than regular PPI, Carfax, etc.?

I actually have another car lined up as a backup and would like to know what you guys think.

The second car is 2011 all black RT with leather interior and fancier GPS/Navigation infotainment system. The car has ~ 35K miles and seems to be in pretty good condition. 2 owners and has some very minor small paint chips (2 or 3). The car is owned by a guy in his 40s and he has owned the car since 2012. My real problem with that car is that it is 10 hours away from me and no flight from Chicago gets there early enough to drive it back the same day and I don't want to stay in a hotel overnight with no license plates on the car. The car is $3,000 cheaper than this car. I really like black but IMO it shows wear and tear faster than lighter colors. The seller sent me two detailed videos and walked me virtually through the condition and features of the car. It is not as pristine as the red one with just 16k miles, but it is still in great shape.

Obviously, I am leaning towards the red one I posted above, but I want to make sure I am not making a mistake by picking up a 2009 over 2011 that I will regret later. Thoughts?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Are there any not super expensive options available to make BT audio work? BT audio streaming from my phone is pretty much the only infotainment feature I use in my current car, even though it has GPS and all the other bells and whistles.
I also have a 2009, and R/T Plus in hemi orange. Got it about 18 months ago and struggled with music options. The radio did BT for the phone functions and maybe music but i prefer usb and that was not possible with the factory radio. It also had no backup cam so for me it just made sense to swap out the radio and use one of the steering wheel control adapters to keep existing functionality. Ive got all the options now and because of how the dash is designed it basically looks factory. I think it cost around 400 total and a saturday afternoon install.

·
Registered
2017 R/T
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I also have a 2009, and R/T Plus in hemi orange. Got it about 18 months ago and struggled with music options. The radio did BT for the phone functions and maybe music but i prefer usb and that was not possible with the factory radio. It also had no backup cam so for me it just made sense to swap out the radio and use one of the steering wheel control adapters to keep existing functionality. Ive got all the options now and because of how the dash is designed it basically looks factory. I think it cost around 400 total and a saturday afternoon install.
could you please share the direct link to the unit you installed? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker, 2010 Plum Crazy R/T Classic, 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
2,038 Posts
Well, I own a few Challengers as you know. The difference between 09 & 11 is worth noting. For example, the ‘11 has door buttons and a trunk button that make daily life more bearable!! Also, the 2011 and up cars have electric power steering, much lighter than the 08-10 Challengers that still used a belt driven pump. I drive both a 2010 and a 2012 Challenger, as daily drivers, so I know.

·
Registered
48 Posts
could you please share the direct link to the unit you installed? Thanks in advance.
The unit is a pioneer AVH-521EX but im not sure its available anywhere right now and might not be at all anymore. I used crutchfield's site to find compatible units because they have a really good fitment tool and then shopped around for the best price. Most double din models require a slight cut adjustment to a bracket behind the radio, but it wasnt a big deal to do.

Well, I own a few Challengers as you know. The difference between 09 & 11 is worth noting. For example, the ‘11 has door buttons and a trunk button that make daily life more bearable!! Also, the 2011 and up cars have electric power steering, much lighter than the 08-10 Challengers that still used a belt driven pump. I drive both a 2010 and a 2012 Challenger, as daily drivers, so I know.
My 09 has a trunk button on the dash right below the ehadlight switch. Not sure what the door buttons would be though. this reminded me though of one issue i have run into with an 09 vs 10+, the ECU appears to not have the updated software needed to do some tunes. I inquired about a cam kit and was informed it would work only if i had the ecu sent out and upgraded to 2010 software.

·
Registered
2017 R/T
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Could you please elaborate more? Are the buttons on the door for keyless entry?

11 I listed above is clearly slightly better in features than the 09 I posted earlier. My main concern is general abuse these muscle cars tend to get. A car with history and older owner is more enticing to me.

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
2,114 Posts
I hear what you’re saying. On the other hand, an owner since 2012 and one that took the time to send you videos and a pretty full disclosure on the paint blemishes doesn’t sound like a car abuser to me. You have a tough choice….both cars look very nice. Good luck….you may want to make the commitment to stand in front of both of them….or you’ll always wonder…. Go (drive) to the red one first, and if unsure go to the black one. I would do the overnighter to ensure you get the car that speaks to you. It’s too much money to simply rely on a one day ride vs a two day ride. If you do go to the black one, you can compare the ride to the red one. If the black one isn’t the one, you backtrack to the red. Simple! Haha. Bring a friend…..will be an adventure.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Thanks. This car is in IA and I am in IL, so it will be a little adventure to go get this car for sure. Do you have any tips for purchasing an out of state car? What are some things I should pay attention to other than regular PPI, Carfax, etc.?
I did all my buying without leaving my house. I paid for a 3rd party inspection. This is worth the money alone. You have a 3rd person inspecting the car that is independent from both parties and will give you a better idea of what you are actually buying. I got 150-200 pics of the car and a written report about the entire car inside, outside, engine, tranny, rear, electrical, car fax, paint & body, glass tires etc. This was probably $300.00. Then I paid for it to be shipped. Which from Iowa to LI NY was about $1,000. Ill to LI NY was about $500.00 The car is fully insured and I never had an issue if the car broke down, accident, temp out of state plates etc. Finally get the car you want. Thats the only thing I will 100% recommend. The newness will wear off and you dont want to be kicking yourself a few months down the road.

·
Registered
2017 R/T
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I did all my buying without leaving my house. I paid for a 3rd party inspection. This is worth the money alone. You have a 3rd person inspecting the car that is independent from both parties and will give you a better idea of what you are actually buying. I got 150-200 pics of the car and a written report about the entire car inside, outside, engine, tranny, rear, electrical, car fax, paint & body, glass tires etc. This was probably $300.00. Then I paid for it to be shipped. Which from Iowa to LI NY was about $1,000. Ill to LI NY was about $500.00 The car is fully insured and I never had an issue if the car broke down, accident, temp out of state plates etc. Finally get the car you want. Thats the only thing I will 100% recommend. The newness will wear off and you dont want to be kicking yourself a few months down the road.
Well, if that's the case then I want a super stock. :)

Joking aside, I am pretty sure I will be happy with an R/T. Would like a newer model, but got to keep this purchase in a budget. I am getting the PPI done by a third party tomorrow on the 09 Challenger. Hope it will make it clear. I will also be asking the seller for more pictures tomorrow.

I hear what you’re saying. On the other hand, an owner since 2012 and one that took the time to send you videos and a pretty full disclosure on the paint blemishes doesn’t sound like a car abuser to me. You have a tough choice….both cars look very nice. Good luck….you may want to make the commitment to stand in front of both of them….or you’ll always wonder…. Go (drive) to the red one first, and if unsure go to the black one. I would do the overnighter to ensure you get the car that speaks to you. It’s too much money to simply rely on a one day ride vs a two day ride. If you do go to the black one, you can compare the ride to the red one. If the black one isn’t the one, you backtrack to the red. Simple! Haha. Bring a friend…..will be an adventure.
I hear you. Honestly, I like the slight enhancements of 11 more and I think the guy is reasonable and has priced his car to sell. It is newer and has a better infotainment system than the 09, but it is still cheaper. 35K miles is not a lot. My original goal was to get a car under 50K miles. I like black color a lot in pictures, but in person black seems to age faster than other colors. I test drove two black Challengers (one private party and one at a dealership), both felt like old cars. I also test drove an 09 Challenger in orange color at a dealership and it was perfect. I would have purchased that right away if the dealer didn't try to milk additional $4500 out of me.

It will be very hard to go see both cars in person before pulling the trigger on one. One is in WA and the other is in IA and I am in the middle in IL. I guess I will start with the red on IA and fall back to black one in WA if things don't workout.

I just wanted to confirm that I am not making an obvious error on my part by skipping the 11 in favor of 09.

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
2,114 Posts
Oh. I thought the black car was 10 hours away (driving) … my mistake.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts