Dodge Challenger Forum banner
41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2017 R/T
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Oh. I thought the black car was 10 hours away (driving) … my mistake.
Actually my bad. You are right. I don't know why I typed WA. The black car is in WV (10 hours drive from Chicago) and the red car is in IA (5 hours drive from Chicago).

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
2,114 Posts
Well, either way, they are in the wrong direction to make it a car viewing ride easily.

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker, 2010 Plum Crazy R/T Classic, 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
2,038 Posts
Don't get me wrong, the 2009 is a fine automobile in it's own right, I was merely suggesting you consider all the options available to you. The buttons on top of the door handles are part of the keyless entry (2011 and up), love this convenience! Also, the later models do have an actual trunk release, not just on the dash, or thru the fobik but on the trunk itself. The steering is what I like the best (after 2010 ) but none of these should be a deal breaker for you. Color is the most important option! You are going to look at it daily, don't regret not getting the color you want!! I know...I ended up buying a Challenger in every color I wanted, because I could not make up my mind!!!! Good luck! I can't wait to hear about your journey and the cars you look at, so much fun!! It's all about the chase -the hunt!!
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Based on that rainbow of colors you’re not joking about “the hunt.”

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker, 2010 Plum Crazy R/T Classic, 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
2,038 Posts
Based on that rainbow of colors you’re not joking about “the hunt.”
These are just my most favorite colors on a Challenger. These cars are (were) fairly cheap! 11 years old for the twin 2010 R/T Classics (Detonator Yellow/Plum Crazy), were around $20K with less than 24,000 miles on them each. My Header Orange R/T Classic, (2012) had only 13,200 miles on it when I bought it and that was $25K, the Sublime Green is a 2019 Shaker, $42K, that I bought new 3 years ago, it currently only has 261 miles on it...yeah, I know.

Reactions: PL4392

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Well, you obviously have great taste!
Well, thank you very much sir!!! Great minds think alike! I love my Sublime Shaker 6-speed!!!

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Window

That is my first new generation Challenger. My daughter has a Plum Crazy Scat. And I love Detonator yellow too…..we do have a lot in common, except that I only own one at a time. Haha.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Reactions: fyrdude

·
Registered
2017 R/T
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
So if I decide to go with the black Challenger with 35K miles, what should I really expect? Assuming the guy didn't abuse the car, should it be a good reliable vehicle. I reached out to the guy again and he gave me a vin number and is also willing to take it to a pre purchase inspection, which all seem like good signs to me. Build list shows 2011 with way more options than the 2009 one and it is quite a bit cheaper as I said earlier.

Why is this so hard to decide this? :confused:

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
It’s hard because you are looking at really attractive cars and you’re trying to do the best you can for yourself. Once you have it you’ll know the pride of ownership that all of the members of the forum possess. It’s worth it.

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
10,927 Posts
Could you please elaborate more? Are the buttons on the door for keyless entry?

11 I listed above is clearly slightly better in features than the 09 I posted earlier. My main concern is general abuse these muscle cars tend to get. A car with history and older owner is more enticing to me.
"My main concern is general abuse these muscle cars tend to get. A car with history and older owner is more enticing to me."

Understand that thinking. I would prefer to buy a car from an older owner too.

That said, I'm 68 and ordered my SP 6 years ago. 31k miles, no issues, no wrecks, just normal road wear. New tires, maintenance records for oil/filter changes.

Presents itself well IMO.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

Guess what. After the 500 mile break in period, I have run the living snot out of it. It's a muscle car.

I can look anyone in the eyes and truthfully say "This car has not been abused. Look it over closely and it shows that it's had care."

I will also say "I've run the living snot out of it with zero problems."

So much for an older owner, but I am honest about my car.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,851 Posts
My real problem with that car is that it is 10 hours away from me and no flight from Chicago gets there early enough to drive it back the same day and I don't want to stay in a hotel overnight with no license plates on the car.
If you can make it a 2 day, fly in, stay in hotel overnight, then look at the car in the am and drive it back?

A Guy

·
Registered
2017 R/T
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
If you can make it a 2 day, fly in, stay in hotel overnight, then look at the car in the am and drive it back?

A Guy
Yeah. Thought about it. I also pulled the carfax on the black car last night. No accidents and nothing major. History shows that car was sitting at 27,323 miles at the beginning of 2017 and no service record after that, so he has only driven it 8k miles in the past 5 years. I am going to ask him about the service history. He also confirmed last night that car has BT audio for both music and phone calls.

As much as I feel like red is a less used old car, the black car has so many desired additional convenience features that it doesn't logically make sense for me to pick the older 09 over it. Keyless entry, push button start, and BT audio are all the features I use daily in my current car and would want in the Challenger. Plus it is 3K cheaper.

16K miles v/s 35K miles and one owner are the two main reasons in favor of red Challenger.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,851 Posts
And...it's black! :D

A Guy

·
Registered
48 Posts
Wow!! Awesome! I am glad I am not the only one who appreciates these machines in these bold colors!
You are certainly not alone, i wasnt buying my first challenger in anything other than a high impact color. I looked at yellow, purple and pink ones and then found one actually in my budget in hemi orange and snapped it up.

Why is this so hard to decide this? :confused:
It sounds like its so hard for you because you want the fun color AND the newer features. I cant blame you but this is the bane and compromise of buying used cars on a budget. Like others have said pick the color you want first and put the features after. You can always add aftermarket stuff on later like i did with the backup cam and touchscreen radio, but you cant change the color or engine after the fact, at least not realistically.

For me i was in a super budget, under 15k and i feel like i got super super lucky to even find one in decent condition in my color and manual at 12k. Sure it had 110k miles and im sure someone had alot of fun at one point but so far ive only had issues of rubber involved repairs like the carrier bearing, sway bar bushings and control arms. The 5.7 is an awesome engine and i feel like it can take some abuse and it likes it so i wasnt concerned about the history beyond accident free. In the year and half ive had it i havent had one single mechanical issue. If i hadnt paid a shop to do the lower front arms id still be under $300 in repairs.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Hey RamesesThe2nd, did you ever see either one of those cars? Search continue? Hope all is well! -Steve

·
Registered
2017 R/T
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Long story... I didn't see either of those cars, but I purchased a 2017 RT with 33000 miles yesterday. Drove it 1000 miles home in one day, so damn proud of myself. :)

I will be taking the title to DMV today to get it registered and such, but I will post more pics later.

Thank you everyone for all the help!

·
Registered
2017 R/T
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
QQ on front plate install. In IL front plate is also required on the cars. There are no holes in the bumper, but two tiny idents to kind of point out where to drill holes, but those don’t even align with the plate holes and I don’t want to drill holes in the bumper on my own. I will take it a local shop or dealership to get it installed, but is there a quick no drill way to mount the front plate?

41 - 60 of 71 Posts