Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm new here and also looking to purchase my first challenger (likely a 2015 or 16 Scat Pack). The only problem I have found is that there are virtually none of these cars for reasonable prices in my area where I live. I will likely have to travel across the country to purchase one.

I am wondering if any of you have done this with your purchases? Would it be best to road trip the car back to my hometown or trailer it? Would it be best to ship the car back to where I live or should I not trust all dealerships being able to do that? Just looking for some insight on the whole purchase situation. I will continue to look local as occasionally one or two pop up in the price range I am looking, but it's not often and they sell super quick.

Anything helps thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently purchased my used 2016 online from Ohio. I'm in Colorado. It was more affordable for me to ship (even covered) and work overtime at my job than to take time off for a road trip, though if it had been 2019 without a pandemic, I probably would have driven it home.

For me, shipping and delivery was flawless, though it was the first time I've purchased a car without a test drive. Luckily, it was in like-new condition (9k miles) so there wasn't much to worry over. I got my car insured before they loaded it, so it was covered in case anything went wrong in transit.

Its my first ever Mopar, and I'm hooked.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
All of these are good questions they will require u to look into when u fined the car or cars u want to get. I drive 7 hrs from where I live to get my car, took my son & brother & we even had a little vacation in D.C at the sametime. I still came out better then any dealer around me on the price & I got exactly what I wanted. The dealer was a small used car lot so don't count them out. They where even willing to drive an hour away to pick me up at the air port if I wanted to fly in. We wanted to see Washington DC so we just drove there its was pretty fun & a lot of really good stories came out of it. Scaring the salesman on the test ride, fighting to fined parking, seeing the sights & drinking very very expensive Irish whisky for free woo good stuff.

I talk to every dealer within 500 miles of where I live that had a car I was interested in. Some offered to ship the car (high prices & low) some offered to even fly me in. Its all in what u want to do & what will fit in your plans as well as budget. I turned mine into a weekend road trip so your buying experience is always what u make of it.

Your in a good set of years for pricing & a lot of other things. Depreciation of value has hit those years well at this point. Financing can be interesting at times on a car of 5 or 6 years old with some places but not all. There is a lot to think about but always remember whoever your talking to isn't the only person that has one & u are buying the car so u have to live with what u get financially & options wise. Its kinda exciting really. Lol good luck, keep it on all 4 & put them against each other lol.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
One thing to consider is taxes. I live in Texas, so if I buy a car from another state that has sales tax, I have to pay it for that state when purchasing the car and again when registering the car in Texas. They do that to encourage people to buy in Texas. Make sure you check your local tax laws.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The car I bought in Ohio deferred tax to my state so I only got dinged once by Colorado. Even California only bills you the difference in tax rates if you've owned the car less than a year.

·
Registered
60 Posts
One thing to consider is taxes. I live in Texas, so if I buy a car from another state that has sales tax, I have to pay it for that state when purchasing the car and again when registering the car in Texas. They do that to encourage people to buy in Texas. Make sure you check your local tax laws.
I was under the impression, for Texas, that you only had to pay the difference between Texas sales tax and the lower tax from another state.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Have you looked at Carmax or Carvana? Both have several 15-16 Scats although I don't know what you consider reasonably priced? I've never used Carvana but based on ones I almost purchased their shipping charges are cheap and the cars arrive very quick. I've used Carmax a few times and recv'ing and buying a out of state vehicle from them is very easy. Good luck, welcome, and of course post pics when you get your ride.

Reactions: Kstew

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Scat Pack Pitch Black A8
887 Posts
I have bought several vehicles out of state. The only real issue I had was having to take a new vehicle to get Virginia emissions and safety inspections done. The dealership worked with me on collecting Va taxes.

·
Registered
16,214 Posts
I would keep a low profile that you have come from another state just to buy a car, this reduces your leverage as the dealer feels you will be more desperate since you've spent good money to get there and don't want to go home empty handed, so you will accept a deal that is better for them. Same as showing up with a trailer, who wants to haul an empty trailer both ways?

Just tell them you were passing through on business and noticed the car and if you like it buy it. You can store it at a storage place or garage until you can get back to drive it, trailer it or have someone ship it to you.

I have never heard of this. The selling state may want to collect sales tax from you before you leave but your home state will accept the tax you paid them either in full or mostly so. There is no way you will have to pay two full sales tax rates to two different states.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
737 Posts
Hey all, I'm new here and also looking to purchase my first challenger (likely a 2015 or 16 Scat Pack). The only problem I have found is that there are virtually none of these cars for reasonable prices in my area where I live. I will likely have to travel across the country to purchase one.

I am wondering if any of you have done this with your purchases? Would it be best to road trip the car back to my hometown or trailer it? Would it be best to ship the car back to where I live or should I not trust all dealerships being able to do that? Just looking for some insight on the whole purchase situation. I will continue to look local as occasionally one or two pop up in the price range I am looking, but it's not often and they sell super quick.

Anything helps thanks!
I bought mine in Phoenix, AZ and i live in Henderson, NV. It was 275 miles away and i was going to have them ship it which they would do as it was a Dodge dealership and i got it used, but decided just to drive it home as my Wife and I took her car down to buy it.

If i had got it further away i definitely would of had it shipped to me. I paid AZ taxes and any difference i would have paid at the NV DMV but we are pretty close to the same so i didnt owe anymore.

·
Registered
Plum 2019 SXT AWD
382 Posts
I bought mine out of state and trailered it. You can go visit the car and if you like it come back and go to your local Dodge dealer and they can have the car transferred to their location. Dealers trade cars all of the time. They will of course want to charge you a fee but it simplifies the out of state complexities, not that I it was complicated when I did it. Talk to your local dealer about what the shipping charges might be, it could be less.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger 392 Shaker B5 Blue
539 Posts
I’m in the middle of making a deal on a new 2019 scat pack located in South Carolina. I live in Florida, they are giving me a really good deal on this car. Pretty much fully loaded with $9500 in rebates and discounts. They are even shipping the car to me at no cost.

Here in Florida, they are slim pickings and a lot of the dealers here are shady as hell and they are very reluctant to give good deals.

Just the other day I went to a local Dodge dealer to order a 2021 Scat Pack and they didn’t want to give me invoice pricing on the car, so I walked out. This dealer in SC is giving me below invoice, which is even better. Plus 4 other rebates. Can’t beat that

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
2,090 Posts
I’m going to chime in with a different view than most. I would want (and need) to stand in front of the car for me to consider buying it. Especially if it is a used car. Drive and inspect it thoroughly. That being said, I would do all possible to get a “feel” from the seller to the point possible of being sure it’s the car for you before you commit to travel.

Buying a car can be an adventure. Make it a more enjoyable one by driving it home yourself. What better way to get the feel of a new vehicle than to drive it yourself. I understand all the other points made about time, work, inconvenience, etc. The pandemic certainly takes some of the luster out of it too. All that not withstanding, I’d still go and get it. How would you deal with it if it came and was misrepresented somehow. Talk about inconvenient!

Good luck whichever way you decide to proceed.

·
Premium Member
2021 JEEP Wrangler Unlimited Willys 4X4
2,183 Posts
Reactions: Slidd

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
On February 20, 2017, I purchased my '13 R/T from a dealer over 700 miles away. I live in Illinois and the car was at a Nissan dealership (Crown Nissan) in Greenboro, NC who I had never before heard of. I purchased it sight unseen based on the internet description and pictures. I have only bought used cars for the past 20 years and always buy them from new car dealerships. I have NEVER had an issue with any of them during the first 4 or 5 years of ownership. Between my wife and I that is 6 vehicles - all Chrysler/Dodge products. We were getting ready to go on vacation so I arranged for the dealer to ship it about 2 weeks later when we were back home. I had it shipped in an enclosed trailer as I couldn't forecast the weather and didn't want it getting covered with road salt. The first time I saw it was when the delivery driver drove it out of the trailer. I've been smiling about this car every day since March 8, 2017. It's my daily driver and I've put over 44,000 miles on it since I got it. It is now about to turn 80,000 miles. I've replaced the battery, had 2 recall items taken care of, replaced the original 30,000 mile plugs at 50,000 miles with 100,000 iridium plugs, and I change the oil at close to every 5,000 miles with Mobil 1. BTW, the dealership was great to work with and they handled ALL the shipping arrangements thru a local 3rd party.

I only had to pay Illinois sales tax. I purchased a previous car from a dealer in Missouri about 375 miles away and also only paid Illinois sales tax. Sticker was $40,640.00 and the original owner had the dealership he bought from install a Mopar CAI and a Mopar front strut tower brace. He paid about $850.00 for those add ons. What he paid $41,490.00 and drove 35,396 miles, I paid $22,000.00 for and have driven 44,264 miles so far. I did my homework for 6 months by looking at autotrader.com, carsforsale.com, and cargurus.com every day to find what I wanted at the best possible price. I would recommend buying in this manner IF you are comfortable doing so. If you have any fear and apprehension about doing this, then don't.

Reactions: Kstew

·
Registered
626 Posts
I think I've only purchased a vehicle in the city I was living in once or twice and they were used cars. As far as new cars go, I've always bought them in another city and a couple times in another state. Michigan seems to have better discounts than around here, but they don't give you the trade in tax credit so that can make a big difference if you have a trade.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I purchased my vehicle from Ohio and live in Texas. I only had to pay taxes in Texas once I registered the vehicle.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,203 Posts

Anything helps thanks!
While I like to shop globally -- well nationwide -- I prefer to buy locally. That is close enough I can view the car, if necessary get a test ride and even a test drive. I would have to rely upon a family member or friend even a co-worker -- after work hours -- to get to the car. (When I bought my MINI JCW at a dealer around 90 miles away I first drove to my sister's house -- 60 miles away -- and picked her up then we went to the dealer. I ended up buying the car and she drove my Scat Pack to her house while I drove the MINI home. She brought the Scat Pack to me the next day, although reluctantly...)

I have bought cars -- most of my cars -- at a dealer in a town in which I did not live. The town was not that far away. In two cases the town was in another state (KS while I lived in MO) but still just 40+ miles from where i lived.

In my purchase of the two cars in KS being a resident of MO I did not pay any sales tax. I probably had to sign something that said I'd take care of any sales tax property tax in the state in which I lived and where the cars would be registered. I just do not recall. But often dealers on a state line or very close to it sell cars to a number of out of state residents. Buying from a dealer one or more states away though the dealer might not be familiar with how your state works in this regard. You can and I recommend it research buying a car out of state and "importing it" to your state. What is required regarding sales tax, property tax, if emissions or some other form of testing is needed before the car can be registered. Emissions compliance can be a real problem if the car is used and especially if it is mod'd.

If you buy a car out of state -- or from a dealer next door to you -- you always want to be sure you have sufficient insurance on the car in case something happens. Insurance that covers the car and you and any passengers in the event you pick up the car and drive it home, or at least covers the car and anyone driving ithe car -- shipping the car will have the car driven even if only a tiny distance -- when shipping the car to your location.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've purchased a few vehicles out of state. Last purchased was my wife's RT+ in Ohio - I live in NC (also got my 2020 RAM from same dealer). Taxes are deferred to the state you live in. I'm old school and will not buy w/o driving the vehicle. I will rent a one way car normally and drive to where the car/truck is after many conversations & checking car fax etc if used. I am always upfront. If the vehicle is not what it appears to be - I take my rental and headroom & enjoy the road trip.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts