Votes: 27 62.8%
  • Boom! Splat!

Votes: 1 2.3%
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We need to lighten up the mood around here. Here's the most specific poll you've seen on this forum. It's the Purple Demon Poll.

Here are photos of a beautiful purple 1971 Dodge Demon and a fire-breathing purple 2018 Dodge Demon.

They're both sitting in front of you and someone puts a gun to your head, and says, "You have 5 seconds to pick one".

Do you pick the classic 70's pony car with the 340 and all the cool that goes with that?
Do you pick the modern 808HP beast?
Or are your brains splattered all over both of these beautiful cars because you can't choose?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,678 Posts
It’s not just that it was a cool car, it makes me a teen again when it came out. For me that was a great time to be a kid. Imagine having both of them backed into your man cave and standing in the driveway press the door openers and then have them staring out at you. Actually you should be sitting in a chair, lol.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Sorry......(this will ruffle feathers for sure) .....but I remember ALL TOO WELL.......the Duster/Demon.......was a POS!! I can't even imagine how anyone picks the older everyday Duster with a Demon name plate and far from "rare" 340 over the very limited edition Modern Challenger with obscene HP.

I like old cars and old Mopars in general......but I don't like 'em all and this is one I'd sooner forget. Big boxy back end of a cheap poorly put together economy car isn't fixed by putting the REALLY GREAT small block 340 in it.

If a smaller Mopar from the past is what I want ........ I'm gonna at least go with the better looking Dart GT with the 340 or an older 60s era Barracuda before it got big enough to put it in a "mid-size" car category. The Dart suffers a lot of the same quality problems that the Duster had but it at least had "good looks" in it's favor that I never saw in the Duster body style.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
I'll take the new one for the same reason I have a newer Challenger over the 1971 Charger R/T I had a couple years before I bought my 2012 SRT. Reliability, handling, brakes, safety, technology, equipment, etc...

I liked the old Demon and always thought it would be cool to have one, but I want to drive a muscle car that can perform in all areas. I have always considered the Demon a "B" list muscle car.

The best thing about the Demon is the Dart front end. Heck, I have always thought the rear was ripped off of a 1970 Nova...

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
I splatted. My time was UP. I like all the glam of the 71, and the menacing 18. Splat!

·
Registered
694 Posts
I had a 71 Red duster with the black vinyl top.. Love the look with that top.
i had a 71 yellow 340 duster w/ black vinyl top & agree with you

Reactions: Grumpy59

·
Registered
2015 Challenger Scat Pack
1,924 Posts
Not a huge fan of either. But probably take the old one. Don't care for the demon at all. I don't go to the track and don't want a track looking car, id pass on it.

·
Super Moderator
14,213 Posts
I chose the 2018 Demon. Demons and Dusters, in the 70s, were basically economy cars with a 340 engine stuffed into them.

A tougher choice would have been between a 1970 'Cuda AAR or Challenger T/A. (I didn't include a 1971 Hemi 'Cuda because of its astronomically high value today).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Tough choice. I picked the modern version, though I’m drawn to the nostalgia and memories conjured up by any car from the 70’s. In the end, more power and safety ended up winning out.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'd pick the modern. I had a 1973 Duster in high school.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Classic Demon if it has 3 pedals. Easy.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
I chose the 2018. However, if the other choice had been a '71 Challenger, I'd have picked it in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Demons and Dusters, in the 70s, were basically economy cars with a 340 engine stuffed into them.
I remember them well, not in terms of owning one, but rode in them many times back in the 80s. I voted for the 71 because I don't think I can handle 800hp in the real world. Honestly, 300hp range is where I like to be.

Maybe that's why I ordered my V6 PCP.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,740 Posts
The 2018 hands down.

A Guy

1 - 20 of 35 Posts