Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have thoughts of converting the OEM map light to purple LED. 2016 PCP Challenger that's why. I totally understand this will make the map light non-functioning because of the color of the light.

My question is, why does it seem hard to find real purple color LED lights? A quick search on ebay, most of the "purple" actually looks pink. Some actually are t rueful by saying it's pinkish purple.

I kind of like the shade of purple that actually come close to the PCP in color.

PCP owners, have you looked into this and noticed the same thing? That true purple color LED is hard to find? Am I being too picky? Blue looks blue, red looks red, purple does not really look purple.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
945 Posts
I think you are picky, fellow PCP lover. :)

The pure/true dark purple LED light would be a nightmare to try to see anything inside the cabin since it's... too dark?

A simple Google result yielded the same pictures of "dark purple LED light" and guess what? Almost all of them are pinkish purple.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dark+purple+led+light&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiDsLbs88bWAhXCjVQKHTO9CooQ_AUICygC&biw=1360&bih=638

The picture you used in your post looks great for purple. It's "good enough" purple. That'd be the best one you can find in a purple LED light.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,843 Posts
I think it has to do with the development of LEDs. They used to have only "white" then there were Red, Blue, Green, etc. Magenta is the actual primary color with Violet closer to the blue spectrum, and Purple closer to the red spectrum. With materials needed to make led "colors" still being developed, and the way the human eye works (combinations of colors creates colors our eyes can't actually see), they just haven't gotten purple right yet. Especially when you are looking for Plum Crazy Purple, and not Barney purple ;) A Guy

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
As a former concert lighting director, I would suggest getting the brightest cool white LEDs you can find and pick a Roscolux color filter that matches the color you are looking for. This will output the best color and the filter will be able to handle any heat buildup in the housing.

Here is the link for Roscolux. Purples start around page 5 and 6.

Roscolux | Rosco

·
Premium Member
2,331 Posts
I went with the blue LED's in my purple car. It's not thaaaaat far from purple in my eyes.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts