Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I noticed some purple or pink color on the floor. Not sure what it is. Not sure if it's the purple stuff from this or what, it looks pretty full. Is it normal? Or should I be worried and take it to the dealership.

I collected a sample.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Would be concerned untill its looked at for sure. Maybe the tank had been somewhat over filed so it pushed a little out. Keep us posted with what ya find out.

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,327 Posts
Certainly looks like OAT coolant to me. Hairline cracks in the coolant reservoir and water pumps are generally suspects.

Reactions: ChallyTatum

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Is this common, can't believe this is happening so soon it has like 34,800 miles. Would it take a long time to fix at the dealership? Why does it crack?

Could it be something as simple as the coolant cap failing and the dealership just replaces the cap? Am I wrong to believe that dealership wants to make money and will service a bigger fix than to simply replace the cap?

I was watching this video and he was using some pressure thing to test the pressure once it gets to the max pressure it leaks if there's some hole or something. Later in the video he was showing how a bad cap could also be the problem

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
Are you within your 3/36 warranty as far as the in-service date?

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
447 Posts
Yeah i'm at like 34,800 also have extended warranty 5 year 85,000 but I think it has a $100 deductible.
That's the move I'd make. Take it to the dealer. No matter what it costs low or high, it's gonna cost you $100. But since you are under 36k, shouldn't cost you anything.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

i'm not sure if it's coming from here, but it looks kinda wet. would the liquid match whatever that thing is suppose to do?

I'm pretty sure dealership is closed 4th of July are dealerships usually closed sunday? I think I remember it closing sunday. So I may have to wait until Monday. Whatever it's leaking is it dangerous to drive anywhere?

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
That is your steering linkage (rack and pinion steering) It won’t leak what you’re seeing. I imagine this is on the L/F wheel, which is immediately below the coolant overflow tank I believe.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is your steering linkage (rack and pinion steering) It won’t leak what you’re seeing. I imagine this is on the L/F wheel, which is immediately below the coolant overflow tank I believe.
Is it possible for the coolant to be overfilled and leak out, is that normal and safe? My last oil change was probably sometime in March i think. I didn't put on too many miles maybe 2-4k since because of the virus. Is the coolant kept in the tank with the purple liquid in the picture above? It looks to be currently filled to that crease line.

I wonder why I didn't notice anything until now. I parked a little to the right side this time so I noticed the puddle, not sure if it's a recent thing. Would the coolant levels increase? Wouldn't the maximum amount of coolant be right after I got the oil change and they top of the fluids or would it somehow increase, i'm not too familiar with this stuff. Would it overflow after driving an hour or does it only overflow if you put too much liquid in? Because yeah it would have happened soon after leaving the dealership in March

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

On second look without the paper towel in the cup making it look a little lighter, it sort of looks more red. Like a water melon aqua fresca. Not sure if that changes what it possibly could be. I placed a paper towel on the spill and then after it soaked up the liquid I squeezed it into the cup. It may be mixed in with the dirty garage door so it could have possibly lightly darkened.

·
Super Moderator
15,804 Posts
the coolant starts off purple and starts fading to a more red color. That's definitely coolant and the wet areas on the tie rod boot indicate that either you had overflow (tank looks very full already) or if there's a crack on the lower side it could be leaking

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Is it possible for the coolant to be overfilled and leak out, is that normal and safe? My last oil change was probably sometime in March i think. I didn't put on too many miles maybe 2-4k since because of the virus. Is the coolant kept in the tank with the purple liquid in the picture above? It looks to be currently filled to that crease line.

I wonder why I didn't notice anything until now. I parked a little to the right side this time so I noticed the puddle, not sure if it's a recent thing. Would the coolant levels increase? Wouldn't the maximum amount of coolant be right after I got the oil change and they top of the fluids or would it somehow increase, i'm not too familiar with this stuff. Would it overflow after driving an hour or does it only overflow if you put too much liquid in? Because yeah it would have happened soon after leaving the dealership in March
it is possible the coolant tank was overfilled but it is unlikely circumstances would have not allowed this excess to leak out until some 3 months later. And that's an awful lot of coolant to come out due to an overfill.

As others have offered, the coolant tank has failed. Or the water pump has failed and the leak is from around the seals.

The car is still under the new car warranty. My advice is to avoid driving the car. With a leak the system won't hold pressure and this can lead to localized overheating which can result in a head gasket failure or worse.

When Monday rolls around call the dealer to book the car in for this and have the car flat bedded to the dealer.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,376 Posts
Certainly looks like OAT coolant to me. Hairline cracks in the coolant reservoir and water pumps are generally suspects.
Yeah not too long ago another member had coolant residue on the driver side of the engine and it turned out to be a crack in the reservoir tank...right near the lower hose fitting that feeds coolant to the engine.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
447 Posts
the coolant starts off purple and starts fading to a more red color. That's definitely coolant and the wet areas on the tie rod boot indicate that either you had overflow (tank looks very full already) or if there's a crack on the lower side it could be leaking
I just bought some premixed Mopar coolant and it's redish pink out of the bottle. That looks like coolant to me.

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts

Since the cooling system builds up pressure, after you drove the car the last time, the reservoir was therefore under pressure. The duration it sat in your garage allowed that pressure to find the past of least resistance, which is most likely a hairline crack in the reservoir, resulting in the small puddle of coolant you’ve found on the garage floor. If you felt froggy enough....you could remove the tank and verify it’s just not a loose hose or hose clamp.
Best bet is to leave it as is....IMO, and let the dealership repair it for free.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
it is possible the coolant tank was overfilled but it is unlikely circumstances would have not allowed this excess to leak out until some 3 months later. And that's an awful lot of coolant to come out due to an overfill.

As others have offered, the coolant tank has failed. Or the water pump has failed and the leak is from around the seals.

The car is still under the new car warranty. My advice is to avoid driving the car. With a leak the system won't hold pressure and this can lead to localized overheating which can result in a head gasket failure or worse.

When Monday rolls around call the dealer to book the car in for this and have the car flat bedded to the dealer.
Do you think it would be okay to drive to the dealership, it's maybe about 2 miles away Monday morning. The coolant still looks pretty full.

One time my radiator or something had a crack my brother-in-law suggested turning the heater all the way up so that I could drive it home or to the dealership. Is this something that would be done for this issue?

I kinda rather avoid towing the car as it I worry they will damage the undercarriage during the tow or worst.

·
Super Moderator
15,804 Posts
Do you think it would be okay to drive to the dealership, it's maybe about 2 miles away Monday morning. The coolant still looks pretty full.

One time my radiator or something had a crack my brother-in-law suggested turning the heater all the way up so that I could drive it home or to the dealership. Is this something that would be done for this issue?

I kinda rather avoid towing the car as it I worry they will damage the undercarriage during the tow or worst.
since your reservoir still has fluid in it, your probably okay for that short distance.

If it had lost all the coolant from the reservoir I wouldn't have advised to drive it

Reactions: SRT8outtaLA

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
You were correct. service advisor said that it is the water pump that is leaking, and he's ordering and replacing it under warranty.

I searched online for signs of a bad or failing water pump. I think I may have noticed one of the symptoms around March or so.

From time to time you might hear a high pitched sound that comes from the front of the motor. This is typically caused by a loose belt that creates a harmonic buzzing or whining sound as it circulates. The loose belt is commonly caused by a pulley that has become loose or that the bearings that operate the water pump assembly are wearing out. Once the bearings fail inside the water pump, it means the unit cannot be repaired and will need to be replaced entirely.

If you notice there is a loud whining sound coming from the front of your motor that increases in volume as you accelerate, contact a mechanic as soon as possible to inspect your vehicle.

I thought my car sounded like it had a turbo or a super charger when i was breaking in the new brake pads. When I had to accelerate and stop accelerate and stop. It could possibly be a loose belt or something?

I'm hoping my engine didn't sustain any damage. Would the check engine light turn on before it overheats? Basically the computer will tell me if the engine is overheating right if it's causing no coolant to cool the engine. I mean the tank looks pretty full. Would the water pump failure cause no coolant to be able to move therefore sit at the tank the whol time?

How come when I turn the ACC or whatever it's called on the ignition and play music the check engine light always come on?

It goes away after I start the car. is that normal?

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
There is a coolant level sensor that would indicate if the coolant became critically low. You’d also received a temperature alert if it got to a point where it was about to overheat.

You received neither of these, so don’t sweat it and don’t over analyze it.

During the start sequence, there will always be a test run of the all lights as well as as a gauge sweep.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts