Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
There is a coolant level sensor that would indicate if the coolant became critically low. You’d also received a temperature alert if it got to a point where it was about to overheat.

You received neither of these, so don’t sweat it and don’t over analyze it.

During the start sequence, there will always be a test run of the all lights as well as as a gauge sweep.
thanks! the service advisor said they need to order a part not sure if it's a new water pump system or whatever, but where do dealerships get their parts from? would parts come in same day or are they coming from canada overnight or some warehouse of parts all around the country or do dealerships keep all the parts in house but borrow from each other if not available?

Do I need to ask them up with fresh coolant or anything sort of fluids that was lost or would they know to top off fluids after a leak.

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,328 Posts
I personally find it odd that your dealer did not have anything as consumable as a water pump for a 5.7L on the shelf....unless they happened to have a run on them and ran out.

Replacement warranty parts, if not in stock, typically come from their parts distribution centers, and often are at the dealer the next day as a rule.

A water pump replacement is a fairly basic, average skill repair. I’d think your dealer wouldn’t screw that up. The 5.7L has been out since 2003, so that repair has been performed multiple times at your dealer I would think.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I personally find it odd that your dealer did not have anything as consumable as a water pump for a 5.7L on the shelf....unless they happened to have a run on them and ran out.

Replacement warranty parts, if not in stock, typically come from their parts distribution centers, and often are at the dealer the next day as a rule.

A water pump replacement is a fairly basic, average skill repair. I’d think your dealer wouldn’t screw that up. The 5.7L has been out since 2003, so that repair has been performed multiple times at your dealer I would think.
I have a 6.4 if it makes a difference. Is that just as simple to repair?

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,328 Posts
I have a 6.4 if it makes a difference. Is that just as simple to repair?
Oooooooops....just now noticed that. To my knowledge...they share the same water pump.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I brought the car in before 7AM today and it won't be ready until tomorrow or Wednesday. I should have asked for a loaner as my warranty lets me have a loaner if it takes more than a day for the repair. Now I gotta paid for a ride back to the dealership as they only offered me one way Uber rides.

Do you guys know if the extended max warranty lets you have loaners whenever you take it in for service or only if it's known that it will take more than 1 day. it seems pointless to be dropped back home come back to pick up a loaner after I pay for my Lyft ride.

Also i'm worried they dealership might not fix everything that is the root cause of the leak. My feeling is this description:

Water Pump Pulley is Loose and Making Whining Sounds
From time to time you might hear a high pitched sound that comes from the front of the motor. This is typically caused by a loose belt that creates a harmonic buzzing or whining sound as it circulates. The loose belt is commonly caused by a pulley that has become loose or that the bearings that operate the water pump assembly are wearing out. Once the bearings fail inside the water pump, it means the unit cannot be repaired and will need to be replaced entirely.

If you notice there is a loud whining sound coming from the front of your motor that increases in volume as you accelerate, contact a mechanic as soon as possible to inspect your vehicle.

I was just told water pump is leaking and they are replacing it. Are all those components above part of the replacement? The loose belt, pulley, and bearings? Will all of those be replaced as part of the water pump replacement?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Finally got the car back. Looks like they filled up the purple stuff I think coolant way above the fill line. Would that be any issues?

They confirmed the whining noise was coming from pully from the water pump. Water pump and thermostat was replaced, comes together as a unit. The advisor told me the engine is repaired. Does that sound right? Is that unit part of the engine and the engine was repaired?

Does it look normal? Not sure who or why 6. was written on my car on the center of the engine compartment.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
2,037 Posts
My guess, fill it to the brim is asking for it to pressure overflow, was that hot or cold when you took that picture?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
My guess, fill it to the brim is asking for it to pressure overflow, was that hot or cold when you took that picture?
Not sure probably more on the hotter side, picked up the car around 5PM in sunny California

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
447 Posts
Looks to me that the fluid is at the bottom of the fill zone line.
Looks like the top of the reservoir is just stained. That's what it looks like in the pic anyways.
If the poster saw it was full to the top then obviously it is.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,376 Posts
Well looks like I might have to check for a cracked reservoir tank as well. Saw a couple of drops of coolant on the floor...driver side directly below where the tank sits...and my coolant is below the full line.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,744 Posts
Does appear to be pretty overfilled

A Guy

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I noticed my mpg drop significantly after getting my car back from the dealership it happens almost all the time. It was like at 16.5 I believe I was around 18 or so because I mostly drive highway now a days. Do they leave the car running on idle while in the shop or something or do they take it out and drive it hard to test the car after fixing the coolant leak?

My dash cam does record driving I haven’t had a chance to go into it but I just find it odd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,376 Posts
Is that a problem like topping off gasoline? They tend to overfill than under-fill from my observation
If you overfill when cold what happens is the coolant expands when hot and the excess can be pushed out the overflow tube giving the appearance of a leak.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
2,037 Posts
If you overfill when cold what happens is the coolant expands when hot and the excess can be pushed out the overflow tube giving the appearance of a leak.
Yep, and the hottest is after shutdown when all the heat of the engine leeches out without the water pump circulating. So, if it happens again, could be an issue, but it will eventually drop to a level that it doesn't do it any more. You may be luck that it is only someone that doesn't know overfilling it.

·
Super Moderator
15,804 Posts
Is that a problem like topping off gasoline? They tend to overfill than under-fill from my observation
it will find its own level - if you drive on a really hot day or do a long full throttle run it will push out coolant from the overflow.

just check the levels on a monthly basis - the cold level should never go below the minimum cold fluid level marking on the tank

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I noticed my mpg drop significantly after getting my car back from the dealership it happens almost all the time. It was like at 16.5 I believe I was around 18 or so because I mostly drive highway now a days. Do they leave the car running on idle while in the shop or something or do they take it out and drive it hard to test the car after fixing the coolant leak?

My dash cam does record driving I haven’t had a chance to go into it but I just find it odd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes. After work on the cooling system almost certainly the engine was started and run to help heat up the coolant to test the system.

However, idling the engine will only get the coolant so hot. To get it hotter requires more RPMs. Now maybe the tech just increased RPMs in the service bay until the coolant got hot enough to trigger the radiator fan. But it is possible the car taken out and driven. Hopefully the tech is aware that the car doesn't have to be driven hard to get the engine nice and hot. On the freeway at speed the coolant stays in the 200F range. But in town driving, stop and go driving, all at legal speeds and in other ways remaining within the law, my Hellcat's coolant temperature will climb to 216F at which point the radiator fan comes on.

Also, in several cases with other cars while after the cooling system was worked on and the engine started and allowed to idle but no test drive by the tech was done before I accepted the car I took the car out and gave it a shakedown run. Nothing crazy just driving around town until the system got nice and hot and I was sure it was leak free. In one case I saw no leak but smelled anti-freeze and fearing a leak back at the dealer reported this.

Tech took the car into the service bay and checked it over and found no leak sign. What he admitted was he spilled some coolant when refilling the system and it was this on the engine/exhaust that I smelled. He rinsed the engine and engine compartment thoroughly and after with the engine running some time neither one of us smelled anti-freeze.

I accepted the car and drove it from Springfield MO to Joplin MO. Then the next day -- with no sign of any coolant leaks and the fluid level good -- I drove the car hundreds of miles and then the day after that more hundreds of miles in total around 1800 miles all the way back to CA. The cooling system was fine.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts