Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Push Button Start for SE?

11K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  mopar bob 
#1 ·
#5 ·
PLEASE NOTE: THIS ITEM WILL NOT WORK ON NON PUSH-BUTTON START CHALLENGERS, SO PLEASE DON'T ASK!

As posted on the ebay description. This is how Dodge gets you to buy an R/T, buy only offering it with the Electronics Convenience Group. Something tells me it is on the 2011 SE. Time to trade???? Then again, wasn't there a thread on this earlier this year? Can't remember if the guy was successful. I think about this every day as I start my car - wishing I had it.

#7 ·
Yeah, I was going to add that I wanted it so I didn't have to take off my gloves and dig in my pocket every time I got in the car. But you have to do that to open the locked door. I see that is taken care of in the 2011 lineup. Another reason to trade up.

#9 ·
The article posted about the new 2011 challengers says that all options will be offered across the board without buying a package. This may help out some of the rest of us wanting to add the push button start. A member added the push button start to his SE by adding the correct parts required to make it work. It not a very hard job and can be done easily. There is a thread on this site how he did it. The problem is that the system requires programming to make it work. Dodge dealers do not have the correct software from the factory to enable it. They can enable a lot of things with the their starscan tool but do not have what is needed at this time. The reason the member was able to enable his was he has the software configuration files and programmed it himself. He has done this for several other members. It may possible that with the 2011 options you could order the push button start for any of the line up. In that case the factory may give the dealers the software to enable it. That way the dealer could install it theirself on any car on the lot or ad it on for those of us that don't have it now. There are plenty of people that would like to ad this to their challengers. All we can do is wait and see if maybe this will happen.

#11 ·
Yes it was Tony S/S Dodge.

#13 · (Edited)
Boy, would I like to have Tony set me up with that and then take my car to the dealer who said they couldn't turn on my DRL. I'd have everyone scratching their heads so hard they'd all be drawing blood. I'm still chuckling at the look on the guy's face when he was checking out all my mods that should only be on an R/T. Gee, and to think I'm only a couple of hours away. Or, take the easy way out and write out a check for $10,000 to my local dealer. :)

#14 ·
A little background on what is going on communication wise with modern autos. in 1986, the first introduction of the CAN (controller area network) protocol was made available by Bosch. In 87 chips from Intel and Phillips were put on the market to accept the protocol in firmware and as a reference point in 1992 Mercedes started to produce cars with CAN. CAN is a communications protocol designed specifically for the automotive industry, but can be used in other applications for process control. It has undergone several revisions and does have an international standard. Essentially it turns your car into a computer (typically the ECU, PCM or affectionately known as Hal) and a local area network that runs on twisted pair throughout the car to turn on, moderate, turn of or give instructions to various nodes. The CAN protocol is similiar to the TCP/IP protocol that the internet used only is has a smaller frame size. The code itself is a non return to zero inverse, but that is transparent to users or developers as the CAN chips are aware of it. Typical local area things go on such as bus arbitration by the nodes and such.

What is a node in your Challenger? The console display, a Homelink, light control module, the WIN (wireless ignition module) PEM (passive entry module) your ABS system etc. Your car is just one huge local area network.

Now considering keyless go, I will specifically address 2009 SE as I am not sure of 2010 as the PCM is different. The nodes themselves need to be configured by the OEM makers for specific or multiple purposes. The 2009 SE WIN and PEM were not built to accept keyless go.

In short two things need to happen. The OEM maker (not Chrysler, they don't make them) need to reprogram the prom in these nodes to accept and send the keyless go wireless and direct signals.

Then the PCM needs to have the configuration file changed using Chrysler engineering / diagnostic software through the OBDII port. StarScan or StarMobile can't do this. This software is designed to work with sales codes for "Valid nodes" activate them and update your VIN at Chrysler.

For example if you have a RES radio with the buttons for cell phones you can add a Uconnect node that will immediately let your radio work the Ipod with a digital link (node to node) but requires the StarScan to activate the bluetooth cell connect in the PCM, radio and Uconnect.

Very similar how the WIN node is configured to only recognize your FOBIK. ( node to node) and the WIN on the CAN bus communicates to the PCM to start the car.

Many R/T and SRT8 had WIN and PEM already configured by the OEM for keyless go and you can read about it in the thread.

Will the advent of the 2011 give you a WIN and PEM acceptable to the 2009 possibly, but I doubt it. The 2010 has much greater chances.
We shall see.

Just to be redundant, 2009 keyless go needs a WIN and PEM that you can't get from Chrysler as well as Chrysler engineering /diagnostic software generally not available to dealers.

Hopefully I didn't confuse everybody, but these cars ain't old fashion hot rods, but high tech computer controlled devices with their own local area network. My supercharger project made me stick my nose in this.

A caviat, what I presented is an over simplification to just get the idea out what you are working with. Some of it plug and play with Starscan, some requires special software.

#15 ·
^ wow good wright up.

Question I have is since I just had remote start installed, the node in the dash was switched out with new key fobs for the remote start.

Does the same node for the remote start be the same for the keyless go........

Only thing I can think of is pop the button out of my brother inlaws RT and pop in it my car to see if it works with my key in my pocket. Now another question, does the button have a chip in it that also needs programed?

Anyone know for sure?

#16 ·
^ wow good wright up.

Question I have is since I just had remote start installed, the node in the dash was switched out with new key fobs for the remote start.

Does the same node for the remote start be the same for the keyless go........

Only thing I can think of is pop the button out of my brother inlaws RT and pop in it my car to see if it works with my key in my pocket. Now another question, does the button have a chip in it that also needs programed?
Anyone know for sure?
Not electronically, but some is contained in the WIN. Remote Start doesn't have anything to do with keyless go. Besides the PEM is not reprogrammed for it as well as no low frequency antennas.

The WIN button is an inert piece of plastic that does not have any electronics. The WIN need a signal on the CAN bus from the PEM antennas that recognize the digital pattern from a keyless go FOB that is transmitting a signal without touching FOB buttons. Then the PCM need to understand signaling from both the PEM and WIN to start the car.
Again, simple and quick explanation.

Don't waste your time.

#20 ·
What is the currrent status on adding Keyless Go to a SE?
Has anyone done it by adding the sales code for keyless Go?
Is their any chance that Mopar will offer a kit for this now that it is available as a option on the 2011 SE?
there isn't much of a chance that dodge will offer a kit for this. it is way too involved. by the way bob, how is that keylessGo and remote start working for you? there are only three of us out there with it in an SE. i doubt there will ever be any more than that.

#19 ·
Somehow I don't think this will happen for the SE. From what I gather, it is more than just adding the sales code. Something is missing for it to be added.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.