Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sigh!...apparently, the last few months haven't been too good for my car. My extremely low (2,500) mile Challenger, as of yesterday, was towed to the dealer for the second time in 3 weeks for not starting. Push the starter button and all you get is a faint clicking noise from the starter relay. The first time it was towed to dealer, the technician said he pushed the button a few times and nothing happened as I stated, but then started on the 5th try. He said he checked the electrical connections, no problems found, kept my car a few days trying to replicate the problem with no luck. Now, myself not feeling very confident, took the car home and put it in the garage. After a week, I tried it a few times and every time it started. Fast forward to yesterday and you guessed it....nothing! A few months ago the transmission had to be removed and repaired under warranty, so that's why I feel something may be loose at the starter. Anyway, now until the dealer finds something I'm always going to wonder if the thing will start or not!....and that sucks! And its not the battery- the OEM battery was replaced shortly after the trans was repaired. I guess just wish me luck guys, looks like I may need it.:frown:

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
That stinks...I feel for ya- if it's only happening after the trans work then obviously it's something the tech did or left loose like you say... Is it possible for you to trade it in and be done with it? Might be worth it in the long run.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine also does not start (as of today), though I do not get that clicking. That happened to me once years ago but it was a one time thing. Today, I was lucky to have a guy in the parking lot with jumper cables and willing to jump me. That 'jolted' the car into running and even started once more. Then, after sitting a few hours at home, no start. Interestingly, I notice that the brake is softer when it is having this issue than when it starts normally. Since pressing the brake is necessary to start the car, perhaps that is part of the issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Have you tried pulling out the push to start button and starting it by putting the top of the key FOB in and turning like a key?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks to both Blaxican and skynyed; those are great ideas I'd missed. Turns out my issue was simply a completely dead battery and apparently nothing more. New battery, no issues. It is still interesting to me that the dead battery could make the brake pedal be noticeably mushier and, weird as this sounds, my driver's door would not fully close as normal while the battery was dead. Once the new battery was in, the door went back to closing and then that sound of the window sort of moving up to fully seal and also the brake is back to its normal firmness. Yes, it could be all those recreational substances in my past (not really) or my imagination, but those other symptoms were no kidding real.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I remember one time my battery died while I was washing and waxing my car with the radio playing guess the subwoofer drained the battery my car would not start and the dash said vehicle not parked and engine was shaking after I jumped it then it was back to normal.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Thanks to both Blaxican and skynyed; those are great ideas I'd missed. Turns out my issue was simply a completely dead battery and apparently nothing more. New battery, no issues. It is still interesting to me that the dead battery could make the brake pedal be noticeably mushier and, weird as this sounds, my driver's door would not fully close as normal while the battery was dead. Once the new battery was in, the door went back to closing and then that sound of the window sort of moving up to fully seal and also the brake is back to its normal firmness. Yes, it could be all those recreational substances in my past (not really) or my imagination, but those other symptoms were no kidding real.
I thought you said you had changed your battery. Maybe get yourself a battery tender as your obviously not driving it for long periods.

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
Have you tried pulling out the push to start button and starting it by putting the top of the key FOB in and turning like a key?
On the '09 - '14 the button is removable. '15+ you have to use the rounded end of the fob and push the Start button with that (uses induction to power the fobik if the fob's battery is dead)

·
Registered
15,071 Posts
Right, the key trick ended after 2014. The emergency start procedure with a dead key FOB is explained in your Owners Manual.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts