Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 09 challenger srt8 since November 3rd 2016 I've been trying to get my push to start to work with both keys but no go. The push to start button only works with the factory key by the way that key always dies within 2 days. But the replacement key from dodge doesn't work with the push to start button I remember the dealership saying for some reason it will not let them program the other key to the push start button. Would there be a issue with the software in the computer? Why does my battery dies so fast on the factory key?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,274 Posts
Got to ask but are you pushing the brake when you try the push start? Also you might want to try this trick.

https://www.challengertalk.com/threads/push-button-start-wont-work.79081/post-3280514

The original key fob might be bad or have some build-up on the circuit board causing current leakage if it is going through batteries. You could try an open the fob and get a can of electronics cleaner from ACE hardware to see if that would work.

BTW the 2010 models had TSB 08-010-10 which involved a defective WIN module. Usually anything key fob related relies on the WIN module. In fact, on another forum I found this nugget which pertains to 08/09 models:

"What you may have experienced, especially in the older model year (08/09) Challengers is a PEM "out of sync" situation.

The push button key module is called the WIN (Wireless Ignition Node) and when the push button is pressed to "start" the engine, a CAN BUS message is sent to the PEM (Personal Entry Module) to verify the KEELOQ rolling code (Challenger Tip:117) for FOBIK verification.

For whatever reason, if the FOBIK is a code step ahead or behind the PEM and nothing is recognized. This would be like someone else's FOBIK in the vehicle and attempting to start the vehicle. Removing the START button and using the FOBIK as a key forces the FOBIK, WIN and PEM module to re-sync to the next proper rolling code sequence and basically reset.

Since the FOBIK, WIN and PEM modules have this "wireless mode", there is an occasional glitch or rare possible garble in the xmit/recv modes and thus the need for the Keeloq "re-sync".

I would simply note the mileage, and date to record the incident and see if you have to do this again in the near future. This may be indicative of a failure mode where the dealer tech and go in with StarScan, StarMobile or other diagnostic software and look at each module for and DTC's stored to verify and identify this."

What I found interesting in a recent search is there are companies that offer pre-programmed WIN modules and Keyfobs for FCA vehicles.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,274 Posts
Dealership should be able to detect if the WIN recognizes the fobs if inserting as a key and starting does not sync them.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,274 Posts
Yeah looks like one has some sort of RC filter and the other one does not. Same board revision but the chipsets are different which explain the difference but difficult to tell.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts