Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I now feel like a complete and total idiot. The one thing that has been bothering me in the months since I traded charger in for challenger was not having the push button start and having to put keyfob in and turn it... Today I was cleaning out glove box and I found a button that said start/stop and had a back shaped exactly like my keyfob was... After a 2 second install job (had to turn it to line up with hole and make words upright) I upgraded to push button start ugh.

When I asked them about putting push to start in at dealer they could have mentioned the damn thing was included with the car and just not plugged in..

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
It's not uncommon for a dealer to swipe the remote start buttons from one car to use in another they are trying to sell...so you were lucky it was still in there.

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
I guess you didn't get the window sticker with the car?

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I remote start just fine but I always stuck key in and it was annoying pulling it out cuz I hit panic button bunch of times doing that. They better not take anything out of a limited edition factory redline. It's prolly a 5 dollar part after seeing it

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Mine was in the glove box when I got my 09. Dealer never said a word about it. Just have to be careful, for example if I were to leave my purse locked in the trunk w/ the spare fob, anyone could break a window and take off with the car. I always check to make sure the fob is in my pocket before locking the car too...

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I don't use a purse. and as with my charger it will no longer leave my pocket inside car. So yours was same place as mine. sitting in back of glove box.. Wonder how many don't notice that for awhile

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Mine was in the glove box when I got my 09. Dealer never said a word about it. Just have to be careful, for example if I were to leave my purse locked in the trunk w/ the spare fob, anyone could break a window and take off with the car. I always check to make sure the fob is in my pocket before locking the car too...
No worries! I literally just went and put my spare fob in the center console and shut the door and pressed the lock button. It does NOTHING. Wouldn't lock at all until I took the fob out and had it on me. You should be safe.:icon_biggrin:

Reactions: USRWDV8 and DJ Hemi

·
Registered
860 Posts
No worries there either. I've seen another post on here awhile back where someone stopped for gas and opened the trunk for some reason, then couldn't get it to close. Finally figured out he put the key fob down in the trunk. So the car knows and won't let you lock the fob in the trunk either.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I now feel like a complete and total idiot. The one thing that has been bothering me in the months since I traded charger in for challenger was not having the push button start and having to put keyfob in and turn it... Today I was cleaning out glove box and I found a button that said start/stop and had a back shaped exactly like my keyfob was... After a 2 second install job (had to turn it to line up with hole and make words upright) I upgraded to push button start ugh.

When I asked them about putting push to start in at dealer they could have mentioned the damn thing was included with the car and just not plugged in..

I can hear the conversation now, "hey Eddie, customer is asking about push start. Go put one in for him." Then he just throws it in the glove box.:dunno:

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
After 3 attempts the car will allow you to lock the keys inside. fwiw.

Only if you have one fob inside and one fob on you and it does it on the first try for me. Fob inside but none on me means no lock.

Sent from a cool, little device from the future.

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
I can hear the conversation now, "hey Eddie, customer is asking about push start. Go put one in for him." Then he just throws it in the glove box.:dunno:
Only at your local five star DCX dealership:indifferent:

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Keep one fob far away and try it, after the 3rd attempt it will lock.

I did. Fob inside, other out of range, the car would not lock from the outside using the button on the door. Not after 3 attempts or 12. The only way it would lock with the fob inside was if I had the other fob in my pocket.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hoping someone can help me with this...yesterday a friend was over and I tried remote starting the car...did not work...nothing...went inside and it turned over perfectly with the key fob thing...now today I went to start it and the remote start worked...but the car itself sounded like it was misfiring or back pressure...was really struggling kind of sounded scary lol...then it found its niche after like 3 or 4 seconds and ran perfectly...now I have a brand new Harris Deep cycle battery 1000amp on it...also have the battery tender Jr on it...signaling with green light that the battery is at peak power...mind you when I first got the challenger in November... Drove it home...it was dead...they said it was the battery and had the dealer install a new battery (as they should have looked at that to begin with) the dealer said before they sold me the car they had issues starting it with START button so removed that button/key...I've never used the START button and don't really plan to...is my problem common? P.s. I know its not the batteries in the fob...as the unlock and trunk buttons worked without an issue

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I did. Fob inside, other out of range, the car would not lock from the outside using the button on the door. Not after 3 attempts or 12. The only way it would lock with the fob inside was if I had the other fob in my pocket

Sorry about that, you have to lock the door from the inside 3 times, after it locks then shut the door.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Hoping someone can help me with this...yesterday a friend was over and I tried remote starting the car...did not work...nothing...went inside and it turned over perfectly with the key fob thing...now today I went to start it and the remote start worked...but the car itself sounded like it was misfiring or back pressure...was really struggling kind of sounded scary lol...then it found its niche after like 3 or 4 seconds and ran perfectly...now I have a brand new Harris Deep cycle battery 1000amp on it...also have the battery tender Jr on it...signaling with green light that the battery is at peak power...mind you when I first got the challenger in November... Drove it home...it was dead...they said it was the battery and had the dealer install a new battery (as they should have looked at that to begin with) the dealer said before they sold me the car they had issues starting it with START button so removed that button/key...I've never used the START button and don't really plan to...is my problem common? P.s. I know its not the batteries in the fob...as the unlock and trunk buttons worked without an issue
when my car was brand new the remote start didn't want to work. if I got in and pushed the button it started fine, cut it off then the remote start would work fine a time or two then it quit again. it works fine with no problem every time now but only when I use the remote it sounds like the car backfires when it first fires up, every single time...... strange.

to the OP, I never had my start button out.. you saying yours was in the glove box and you didn't know it had a push button start? guess I was lucky, I test drove several and for a while I didn't know that the button was supposed to come out, my dealer must have installed mine. I'm sure that was a cool surprise. :)

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was happy to find it. install was stick it in hole so couldn't get any easier.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Sorry about that, you have to lock the door from the inside 3 times, after it locks then shut the door.
Ah, thanks for the clarification. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
No worries! I literally just went and put my spare fob in the center console and shut the door and pressed the lock button. It does NOTHING. Wouldn't lock at all until I took the fob out and had it on me. You should be safe.:icon_biggrin:

Mine DID lock with my purse in the trunk that had the extra fob in it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts