Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For the guys that wanted to know how the 6 speed exhaust sounds on the auto cars I did it. :) It does have a better sound to it in the whole RPM range. There is no drone at all ACCEPT when the MDS kicks in. Its not a bad drone at all but it is louder than the auto exhaust. Its not bad enough to take the exhaust back off. The 6 speed exhaust is 2.5 inch pipe which is bigger than the 2.25 inch auto pipe. With the seat of the pants dyno I cant tell any differance but I can almost guarantee there is a gain by putting it on. It only took about 10 minutes to change it out since it is a direct bolt on factory part.

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
For the guys that wanted to know how the 6 speed exhaust sounds on the auto cars I did it. :)
It does have a better sound to it in the whole RPM range.
Way to take one for the team :thumbsup:

You might just set a trend :)

·
Registered
688 Posts
I am thinking about doing the same mod to my SRT. Did you notice if your 5.7 resonators were the same? Just thinking if I could just replace the suitcase with the bottle mufflers and leave the resonators.

·
Registered
954 Posts
i was wondering how many components were different.i didnt know that even the diameter was larger too.6 speeds do sound better but i would not want the ''drone''.ive heard that you do not want any muffler within a 50-60 inches from the engine because of drone.

·
Registered
473 Posts
R/T piping is 2.5" not 2.25. I just took out my suitcase and put in my flowmasters and they are 2.5 and the fit perfect.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Ummmmm, the pipes on my auto are 2.25 and the pipes on the 6 speed are 2.5. I have both exhaust sitting right in front of me. The pipe right at the suitcase does flare out a liittle to a 2.5 but the rest of the pipe is 2.25. Look at where the mid pipes go into the catback. You can see the the catback pipes shrink way down to the 2.25. The 6 speed exhaust does not shrink down like that. Ill take some pics today. Heres the pics. Notice the auto exhaust shrinks down way more at the clamps compared to the manual exhaust.

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Ummmmm, the pipes on my auto are 2.25 and the pipes on the 6 speed are 2.5. I have both exhaust sitting right in front of me. The pipe right at the suitcase does flare out a liittle to a 2.5 but the rest of the pipe is 2.25. Look at where the mid pipes go into the catback. You can see the the catback pipes shrink way down to the 2.25. The 6 speed exhaust does not shrink down like that. Ill take some pics today. Heres the pics. Notice the auto exhaust shrinks down way more at the clamps compared to the manual exhaust.

You stole my thunder :). I've just ordered the Mopar Coirsa exhaust system for my Mopar 10 auto. 2.5in is the specs and Mopar, Corsa, and a bunch of technicians said it was a direct bolt on. Don't see how that could happen with a 2.25in but maybe where they meet, they are all 2.5in. They sure as heck better be and are supposed to be.

It'll be a couple weeks before I get them installed and if they can do it in less than 1 hour I'll be happy. I read the PDF installation manual for the Corsa and even though it was all 'bolt on', one still has to fasten, adjust, torque, test drive, cool down, then torque again. Sounds like a lot of work to me. Since I'm 66 yrs old and just mortgaged the house to buy this, I sure hope it works.

Congrats on your new exhaust!!

Hmm, maybe the Mopar 10 auto is all 2.5in where it counts. At least I hope I will be able to hear the car and the exhaust tips will say MOPAR. And from what I read, Corsa makes good stuff - esp no drone with the MDS.
Now, will all the experts and folks with experience, please calm my fears. I've already paid for it so I'm committed. I just figured a car with the looks of a Mopar 10 ought to sound a little mean....

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nope the Mopar 10 auto is 2.25. The pic of the auto exhaust I took is from my Mopar 10. :) After they get done with the Corsa install make sure the left side tip looks even and not slanted down. Ive installed about 20 Corsa kits on both SRT and RT's and they are a pain to get lined up and STAY lined up on the left side.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
srt8tech are there fitment issues with the corsa systems?i have heard there are some with the magnaflow 16514 system.

·
Banned
583 Posts
I thought R/T was 2.5" and SRT was 2.75" diameter? Learn something new everyday.

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Nope the Mopar 10 auto is 2.25. The pic of the auto exhaust I took is from my Mopar 10. :) After they get done with the Corsa install make sure the left side tip looks even and not slanted down. Ive installed about 20 Corsa kits on both SRT and RT's and they are a pain to get lined up and STAY lined up on the left side.
Left as in drivers side? Thanks, I've copied this to give to the Midas man.

·
Premium Member
559 Posts

That's a 1/4 inch difference spread over , say 2.5 in diameter equals approx 7.85inches in circumference. That would bean the 'gap' would be about ,032 inches all around. Seems to me like this could be easily closed with good clamps and some kind of exhaust sealer.
Keep in mind I know nothing of how these work, just doing the math on it. Maybe Mopar and Corsa believe this is within 'normal bolt on' limits???

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well the midpipes where the catback connects to is 2.5 so the Corsa 2.5 catback fits perfect like the stock 6 speed exaust. Only the AUTO stock catback is 2.25 from the catback all the way out, the 6 speed is 2.5 all the way back. And the fitment of the Corsa ist bad its just a really tight fit to get the tip on the left side to be straight. More so on the SRT Corsa kits. The tips are non adjustable and are welded to the pipes themselves.

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
just got off the phone with a 'muffler man'. He said the only difference in the Mopar Corsa catback exhaust system for 5.7 with MDS (auto) and non-MDS (6speed) was different center resonators. Does this clear anything up or just add to the confusion?

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nope not confused. :) The Corsa catbacks for auto and 6 speed are both 2.5. Its the STOCK that is what im talking about with the size differances. :) STOCK auto 2.25, STOCK manual 2.5. :)

·
Registered
2010 SRT8
1,832 Posts
Anybody know if there is a difference in SRT exhaust between the Auto and 6speed? We now own a SRT8 auto, but I have 2 sets of SRT 6 speed exhausts in my basement. Will change out to 6 speed if there is a difference. I know our auto seems to be quieter.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts