Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Dodge Challenger SXT
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ‘18 SXT came standard with 18” wheels. I wanted to fill up the wheel well to give it a more aggressive look (not sure aggressive is the word I want). I fell into a set of 20” rims and tires for a ridiculous price. My question is how much will this change the feel of the ride? This thing is smooth as butter now. My understanding is they’ll fit fine, but I’ll need to then lower the springs so the wheel well is full and not just the car is taller. The tires on it are 235/55 and the 20’s are 245/45. Will I immediately regret this? I’m sure I can sell the rims and tires I bought for a profit, I just don’t want to make my car suck so it looks fancier.

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
Going from your original 18" wheels to the 20" wheels with the tires you stated won't make much of a difference in ride. I used a set of those 18" wheels for winter driving for a few years, and they didn't feel any different than the 20's. If you want to lower the car, that will make a difference in ride. I haven't gone that far, so I can't comment about what that does to the ride of the car, but I imagine that's where the ride will change.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger RT Plus
155 Posts
is the 20inch wheel with the 245’s a stock option for the SXT? I know it is of most of the other trims, and if it is an option, shouldn’t change your ride at all. Lowering springs will change your ride. Lost of people have had good luck with the Eibach pro springs, but I can’t speak from experience.

·
Registered
13,966 Posts
You don't need to lower the car, the overall diameter of the 20's only slightly bigger than the 18's since the 20 tire profile is 45 rather than 55. Many R/T built with 20's and the same suspension that you have, in 2018 you have the same suspension as the base R/T. Only thing you don't have is the bigger R/T brakes so stopping distance will increase. Also don't have the 3.07 axle that factory 20 inch cars would get, you have the 2.62 so acceleration will suffer a little. Bigger wheels and tires always slow you down a little and take longer to stop.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts