Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am in the market for a pypes catback...but there aren't to many videos out there which makes it hard to pick which system to go with; so if you have a video or a link to one post it up!

Kind of leaning toward the Violator but the Race Pro has a good rumble to it...so the duel begins! :fight:

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
my brother has the violator on his RT and it sounds really good. deep sound with a little droan. overall good for the price. hes happy. had it for years.

·
Registered
130 Posts
So, I am in the market for a pypes catback...but there aren't to many videos out there which makes it hard to pick which system to go with; so if you have a video or a link to one post it up!

Kind of leaning toward the Violator but the Race Pro has a good rumble to it...so the duel begins! :fight:
I purchased the Race Pro version based on the Pypes website video. Nice rumble at idle, comes on like gangbusters at WOT and little drone.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I got the Racepro for my 2010 SRT8- with cats it's a little quiet for me, so we removed the converters and it's perfect. Good throaty rumble through all the gears and when I shift to 6th there's almost no drone. Sounds like a real musclecar now not like a pickup with glasspacks. They make good systems and they fit great-but every connection leaked even installed properly. So get it welded up- if you need to ever need to remove it for repairs or mods to the car all it takes is for bolts at the back and 4 at the factory headers. With no over the axle you pull the bolts and two guys can lay it flat on the floor. Other than the clamps I have no complaints-it's a great system especially for for $600.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know its not going to be exactly similar, but this is what I am coming from in my last car....it had a nice idle growl, and sounded like a beast at WOT....but it did have a drone @70

·
Registered
150 Posts
Here's a Pypes Violator catback on my previous 6spd R/T. Only mods at time were a catch can, Predator with base tune and the catback. Amazing sound and quality for the price, picked mine up for $550 shipped.

The only thing as stated as above is the clamps do suck. Especially when trying to clamp down the tips (the just spun no matter how much muscle you put into it. Ended up getting it all welded up for $75.

Best mod for the money if you love those deep throaty exhausts, bit of drone but everyone knows if it's gonna be loud and inexpensive that's just something your gonna have to deal with.

·
Banned
2,271 Posts
Solo performance has a great no drone cat back. You should check them out before you decide.

·
Registered
39 Posts
would it make a difference if i just bought the violator mufflers and had a shop install an H pipe instead of the x?

·
Registered
150 Posts
H Pipe:

An H pipe helps equalize the exhaust pressures between the two banks of tubing as the hot gases and sound waves travel down the tubing. This, in effect, relieves the exhaust pressures as they travel through the H tubing, generally creating an increase in torque. This will also give an added sound reduction when the sound waves combine inside the H tubing.

X Pipe:

An X pipe will actually help to scavenge exhaust pulses from one bank as the opposite exhaust pulse passes through the X, thus creating a vacuum effect at the valve, resulting in a cleaner burn in the cylinder. This generally equals added torque and, like the H pipe, a reduction in sound as the sound waves combine in the X pipe.

Y Pipe:

The Y pipe, which works well on several applications, utilizes a dual exhaust off the manifolds/ headers and runs back a specified distance, then the two pipes enter the Y pipe and become one larger pipe. This Y helps each bank to scavenge the other as the pulses travel down through the Y and are joined together into the single common tubing. This creates a vacuum in the exhaust valve, resulting in a cleaner burn in the cylinder. A sound reduction is also achieved as the sound waves combine in the Y pipe.

·
Registered
39 Posts
H Pipe:

An H pipe helps equalize the exhaust pressures between the two banks of tubing as the hot gases and sound waves travel down the tubing. This, in effect, relieves the exhaust pressures as they travel through the H tubing, generally creating an increase in torque. This will also give an added sound reduction when the sound waves combine inside the H tubing.

X Pipe:

An X pipe will actually help to scavenge exhaust pulses from one bank as the opposite exhaust pulse passes through the X, thus creating a vacuum effect at the valve, resulting in a cleaner burn in the cylinder. This generally equals added torque and, like the H pipe, a reduction in sound as the sound waves combine in the X pipe.

Y Pipe:

The Y pipe, which works well on several applications, utilizes a dual exhaust off the manifolds/ headers and runs back a specified distance, then the two pipes enter the Y pipe and become one larger pipe. This Y helps each bank to scavenge the other as the pulses travel down through the Y and are joined together into the single common tubing. This creates a vacuum in the exhaust valve, resulting in a cleaner burn in the cylinder. A sound reduction is also achieved as the sound waves combine in the Y pipe.

so basically an h and x pipe are somewhat the same?

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have always viewed it as the X pipe being a more efficient version of the H. If you do get an x pipe it's important to get a true x, not one where it's two individual pipes cut down the side and welded together. I believe Magnaflow sells true x pipes.

As far as muffler choice....as said above, Violators all the way.

Difference between a "true X" and a regular x pipe.

Regular
http://image.musclemustangfastfords...06_ford_mustang_GT_exhaust_install+X_pipe.jpg

True X
http://cdn.autoanything.com/images/products/med/exhaust_systems/magnaflow_x_pipe.jpg

·
Registered
39 Posts
oh i am definitely getting the violator mufflers, just I think i am gonna run an h pipe instead... or just true duals if that would be fine? from cats back

1 - 14 of 14 Posts